Homebrew A question about the Homebrew Launcher

AllenHirai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after you install it on the switch do you just always open it selecting album or do you have to always do that test connection thing?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
You have a smartphone - right? So you are telling me, that you cant read, search, use youtube - or answer a question, that was answered in here a dozen times before.

That you cant drop your request in the noobs thread, where "i cant read, do any research - or any form of abstract thinking - help me out" requests may be met with a little less unwillingness to let another display of open exploitation (give me service) slide.

Now - lets all wait for the next white knight ("I'll do your bidding Lady Margerie!") willing to support you and let this circle of "get free support on all your lifes questions by random strangers" continue.

I'll read the official homebrew launcher site - if I find the answer on the first page, I'll let you know.

edit: Actually - I somewhat sympathize:

I read the official "How to" on https://switchbrew.github.io/nx-hbl/ once more, and the answer is no where to be seen there. I dug up three release threads on gbatemp for HBL in addition, and the answer is no where to be seen in the first post, or the first few pages. Some of those thread creators where actually fine with just linking a youtube video - which of course contains no usable detail informtion whatsoever - so I write this up as a scene internal issue and the fault of the people who mainly want to proclaim "first". There is no solid documentation on this in easily reachable places.

Lets make this more spicy: This won't change - as long as the people in charge of providing said official documentation - restrict themselves to not be confronted with any real issues in the field - which right now they do.

So here is your answer. Yes, running the "Run" part of the exploit (connection test, hit run, wait, hit ok, enter album) has to be repeated after every shutdown/reboot. It survives going into standby - but thats it.

Also - this whole procedure, how long it takes, how unreliable it is - is probably the main issue you can point at, if Switch HB fizzles out, having made little impact at all. We hope that CFWs will be able to speed up the process (according to current information, they use the same/a similar entry point on 3.0.0 and above) in the future. God - we hope that.

Last edited by notimp,

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You have a smartphone - right? So you are telling me, that you cant read, search, use youtube - or answer a question, that was answered in here a dozen times before.

That you cant drop your request in the noobs thread, where "i cant read, do any research - or any form of abstract thinking - help me out" requests may be met with a little less unwillingness to let another display of open exploitation (give me service) slide.

Now - lets all wait for the next white knight ("I'll do your bidding Lady Margerie!") willing to support you and let this circle of "get free support on all your lifes questions by random strangers" continue.

I'll read the official homebrew launcher site - if I find the answer on the first page, I'll let you know.

edit: Actually - I somewhat sympathize:

I read the official "How to" on https://switchbrew.github.io/nx-hbl/ once more, and the answer is no where to be seen there. I dug up three release threads on gbatemp for HBL in addition, and the answer is no where to be seen in the first post, or the first few pages. Some of those thread creators where actually fine with just linking a youtube video - which of course contains no usable detail informtion whatsoever - so I write this up as a scene internal issue and the fault of the people who mainly want to proclaim "first". There is no solid documentation on this in easily reachable places.

So here is your answer. Yes, running the "Run" part of the exploit (connection test, hit run, wait, hit ok, enter album) has to be repeated after every shutdown/reboot. It survives going into standby - but thats it.

Also - this whole procedure, how long it takes, how unreliable it is - is probably the main issue you can point at, if Switch HB fizzles out, having made little impact at all. We hope that CFWs will be able to speed up the process (according to current information, they use the same/a similar entry point on 3.0.0 and above) in the future. God - we hope that.
I'd delete everything before your edit, then your post is simply nice, helpful, informative and researched; without the dick bit :D

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Ok yes - can't wait for the next person I can help. Oh boy, I'm such a masochist at heart. ;)

Helping random "passer by"s asking for "free work on their behalf", with a smile, is actually pathological. - If you ever meet such a person, in person - youd stay far away from him/her.

Communities, where people help each other out, no questions asked - have to be formed differently, than letting anyone with a smartphone and a "need" in. Sadly "everyone with a smartphone and a need" is the main demographic for internet advertisers... Because they pay for most things on the internet - is why this public behavior mostly flies - and has become so rampant in many communities.

Finding out, when someone just tries to exploit a community, to not have to do anything on their own - is the differentiator, and its not always easy to do.

If there is any possibility, that the person might have tried, and still got nowhere - I have to side with them, help them out (Thats the being a humanist part.). If its blatently clear, that they just want a free personal step by step tutor, because thats what they always use their smartphones for - most communities should not fulfill that. Commnities work on different social contracts.

Also - there is the issue, that communities get outright obliterated, if "support begging" gets out of hand. When that is, depends on individual feelings/willingness to get on with it. One such thread a day? Ten a week?

It also doesnt help, to "just let other people still willing to support do all the talking -" because, it encourages the "drive by - get personal support quickly" mentality - if it catches on. The best that can come out of that - is short "hearsay based" information distribution - on popular topics.

The notion that "i just had that problem, and have thought it through - let me help out with a solution" motivation (wanting to give back) to always be available, when anyone asks anything on the internet - is frankly just an illusion.

The more people realize, that support communities are often more informed than call center agents working off written answering trees - the more of an issue this becomes.

To give you a little background on that, I've recently read interviews with management of big electronic stores, that acknowledge, that nowadays consumers can often be more informed than the retail clerk on the other end of their in-store-experience - because of "how easy it has become, to get information from communities". Now - this has a downside as well, if you think about it. Mainly "exploitation of unpaid labor" and "it doesnt scale".

But as soon as you have solved that, everyone can return to their usual polite selfs again. :)

Sadly - its unsolveable as of now.

(Reputation models dont work, and are mostly used to give out fake validation for people acting as "white knights" -- as soon as high reputation folks speak up on part of their community - they usually get stripped of the reputation for just doing so. :) Or have you ever seen the most helpful high reputation individual actually getting to run a forum in the end? Not how that works.. ;) )

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: kataclysmicmind

TeamGameRevolution

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
CAN SOME ONE JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION AND NOT PUT USELESS SHIT IN THE POST.

Some people just can't read smh

Reactions: HexZyle

TeamGameRevolution

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
CANT U FUCKING SEE THAT HE EDIT HIS POST OMFG IF ANY THING YOU CAN"T READ CANT STAND YOU BASTARDS ON GBA TEMP ANYMORE THIS SITE HAS GONE TO SHIT WITH THESE BASTARDS.
Woah there dude. You expect to be spoon fed with information here, which is generally wrong. And you even got the nerve to insult people, that still spoon feed you? Get lost. We don't need people like you here.

EDIT: To answer you directly, since you want that: Yes, I can read. I saw, that you posted your message after he edited it, ergo you didn't read it.

Last edited by TeamGameRevolution,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Dude with smartphone and a "service wish".

If dude gets a "actually we dont want to answer your questions all day" response, he flips.
Dont tell him he can't use his smartphone to get "what he wants", free and in easy one liners, and he'll call you a bastard.

White knights please, can we get more polite white knights in here?

As to the "the forum has cone to shit" comment - actually, it has become pretty useable, for the first time in a long while. Most people who just "participate" to get their personal questions answered, have left.

In threads you can actually recognize many usernames again, information shared can actually be detailed, and nuanced (- not just of the "whats best" kind)...

You even got what you wanted, out of the interaction. Just not in the way you prefered. Mindless white knights drones, just meeting your personal needs, for simple one sentence answers - on stuff you couldnt be bothered to look up. (The part that this qustion has been aswered in here dozens of times already, is actually true.)

Last edited by notimp,

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Helping random "passer by"s asking for "free work on their behalf", with a smile, is actually pathological. - If you ever meet such a person, in person - youd stay far away from him/her.
If someone stops and asks you directions do you simply yell "Google maps exists" or do you politely give them directions? Social-norms dictate a polite exchange of information.

Having said that, guy is a caps obsessed dick, seems you were right all along, so flame on ;)

HexZyle

Pretty Petty Pedant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@notimp
I have no problem answering people's questions, even if it seems like they could have done a tiny bit of research, provided it's asked in the appropriate threads. I'm one of those "white knights". However, I'm also a pedant and a bit of a minimod, and I like seeing the forums clean.
What really annoys me is when the following sequence of events occurs relentlessly, and most of the fault lies with the existing community:

1. A new user creates a thread asking for an answer that is already detailed in a sticky (this will always happen. You cannot stop the flood of new users who do not read rules. This is a fact of forum life)
2. gbatemp members do not direct the new user to the sticky (it's not hard to just chuck a link in the post. If mods were omniscient they could do this + lock the thread)
3. instead of letting the infringing duplicate thread die, gbatemp members continue answering the question, especially after the question has already been answered, because they want to "chip in"
(optional bonus points) People become immediately hostile and toxic towards the new member (or answer their question sarcastically and incorrectly) thinking that they're serving some greater purpose as "pest control"

Last edited by HexZyle,
Reactions: Kafluke and Taffy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.