Homebrew a question about safesysupdater...

Deleted member 373223

Pink = Best colour
OP
Trophies
XP
i heard that safesysupdater most of the time freeze half process and might frankenfirmware the 2ds. and that sometimes people can't even get browserhax or cubic ninja or oothax to work. is it true?

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i heard that safesysupdater most of the time freeze half process and might frankenfirmware the 2ds. and that sometimes people can't even get browserhax or cubic ninja or oothax to work. is it true?
I downgraded successful with it, maybe i just had luck or idk, but people say that it is better to check your files with safesysupdater and downgrade with julian's sysupdater

Last edited by DeslotlCL,
D

Deleted User

"
  • PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS HAVE THE SAME DOWNGRADE CODE THAN ORIGINAL SYSUPDATER "
This would be what you're looking for; the way this works and the way julian20's is different - julian20's installs relevant safemode titles first, and then, one by one, uninstalls and installs the titles you have in your updates folder. There's also something about the NATIVE_FIRM in there I forget about constantly when mentioning this.

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"
  • PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS HAVE THE SAME DOWNGRADE CODE THAN ORIGINAL SYSUPDATER "
This would be what you're looking for; the way this works and the way julian20's is different - julian20's installs relevant safemode titles first, and then, one by one, uninstalls and installs the titles you have in your updates folder. There's also something about the NATIVE_FIRM in there I forget about constantly when mentioning this.

SafeSysUpdater and julian20's build both do the same thing (Install NATIVE_FIRM first (I'm not positive on this one, but certainly hope so. Julian20's definitely does. Really hope SafeSysUpdater does too...), and install all titles by deleting newer versions and installing older). SafeSysUpdater just checks that you have the right files first, which might lead to it's lower success rate (It takes longer to run, and memchunkhax2 is remarkably unstable).

Last edited by Townsperson,
D

Deleted User

SafeSysUpdater and julian20's build both do the same thing (Install NATIVE_FIRM first (I'm not positive on this one, but certainly hope so. Julian20's definitely does. Really hope SafeSysUpdater does too...), and install all titles by deleting newer versions and installing older). SafeSysUpdater just checks that you have the right files first, which might lead to it's lower success rate (It takes longer to run, and memchunkhax2 is remarkably unstable).

Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but doesn't sysupdater delete all the files first and then install the newer files?

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but doesn't sysupdater delete all the files first and then install the newer files?

I doubt it. It would be remarkably unsafe and provide no benefit.

The changes that julian20 made to sysupdater were to make it more likely that you could boot into safe mode/ recovery mode should your downgrade crash (Which is why it installed the important titles first).

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not an expert, but if it did, I'd have one screwed up 2ds. I had a problem with downgrading where I'd only get to the 28th cia before it erroring out, so if it did delete all the files, I'd be bricked as there should've been 128(?) files installed.

D

Deleted User

I doubt it. It would be remarkably unsafe and provide no benefit.

The changes that julian20 made to sysupdater were to make it more likely that you could boot into safe mode/ recovery mode should your downgrade crash (Which is why it installed the important titles first).

I know that the earlier version(s) of sysupdater which utilized memchunkhax2 did it this way (uninstalled all titles first, and then installed the lower versions), which leads me to believe that's how the original sysupdater worked at the time. Without looking at the code, (which I haven't), I can't say for sure.

I'm not an expert, but if it did, I'd have one screwed up 2ds. I had a problem with downgrading where I'd only get to the 28th cia before it erroring out, so if it did delete all the files, I'd be bricked as there should've been 128(?) files installed.

Thing is I don't think anyone's downgrade showed it installing all 128 titles.

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that the earlier version(s) of sysupdater which utilized memchunkhax2 did it this way (uninstalled all titles first, and then installed the lower versions), which leads me to believe that's how the original sysupdater worked at the time. Without looking at the code, (which I haven't), I can't say for sure.

I don't think anyone counted and even if this is true, having your system error out at the 28th file would be a suicide attempt if everything was uninstalled first. Even if 28 files weren't installed and only 100 mattered, that's 72 files that were just deleted without anything to replace them.

Reactions: Deleted User

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I haven't looked at the code, but that seems like a monumentally bad way of coding an updater (Which is why I tend to believe that is not how SysUpdater was written). If you deleted all titles first, you'd open yourself up to the risk of bricking for a long period of time (In the first few seconds of the application running, you'd have a system with no system titles, and it would take a minute or so to have all of the required titles install).

I do remember the initial builds of SysUpdater (With memchunkhax2) never downgraded NATIVE_FIRM, which made the whole downgrade useless (This was resolved in a day or so).

D

Deleted User

I don't think anyone counted and even if this is true, having your system error out at the 28th file would be a suicide attempt if everything was uninstalled first. Even if 28 files weren't installed and only 100 mattered, that's 72 files that were just deleted without anything to replace them.

Yeah, that makes sense. Too busy pacing to see if it worked, haha. If I understood more about what each file was for and sysupdater itself, I'd contest, but my knowledge of it is shallow (as you can tell).

I haven't looked at the code, but that seems like a monumentally bad way of coding an updater (Which is why I tend to believe that is not how SysUpdater was written). If you deleted all titles first, you'd open yourself up to the risk of bricking for a long period of time (In the first few seconds of the application running, you'd have a system with no system titles, and it would take a minute or so to have all of the required titles install).

I do remember the initial builds of SysUpdater (With memchunkhax2) never downgraded NATIVE_FIRM, which made the whole downgrade useless (This was resolved in a day or so).

It really doesn't make sense, and I can't blame you for thinking that it wouldn't be the case considering. Though if something like what you mentioned in the end there happened, I wouldn't think it so farfetch'd. But it's something I had remembered reading during the whole downgrade hype, and for all I know, the person who I read it from could have been like me, not having actually checked out the code, haha. Ah well.

Reactions: Just Passing By

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill