a question about modchips and cIOSes

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Sobtanian, Mar 15, 2009.

Mar 15, 2009
  1. Sobtanian
    OP

Sobtanian Newbie

Hello

Only yesterday I delved in the hardmod world (3.2e wii, wiikey2 up to date, hbc, starfall, geckOS and softchip channels).

I am reading that to get the NTSC version of madworld (which I prefer due to bigger screen) to work via the disk channel, I should install cIOS 38 rev 8 (as well as the official update from the PAL disk, which I've done). This made me wonder:

do cIOSes have any effect on the works of a chip? can anyone explain why a cIOS is needed for a game to work even though there's an up to date chip?

And also, when the wii was softmod only I had the wiigator GC backup hack installed. Now that I have a chip, I'd like to remove that (as the chip boots GC with more compatibility). I removed the channel wad (uninstalled) but the wiigator loader still pops up with gc backups. Anyone have any idea?

Many thanks!

2. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    For the first and the last time: Modchip Users only need a cIOS if they want to dump games. If you want the Error 001 and 002 fixed, update your Modchip, and install the IOS that the game wants. No Errors anymore. There's no need for a cIOS for Modchip-Users.

Now:
    1)What bigger screen? Have you black bars with the PAL-Version? If so, try this boot.dol here, a slightly edited SoftChip, with better region-Free, it worked wonders for me. I had some black bars with Vertigo, when launched from Disc-Channel, and this fixed it. Now I have full screen. I can also give you Channel, if you want.
    2)If you removed the .wad, you also need to remove the cMIOS. Extract a MIOSv8.wad of it from a new game (sorry, don't know which, try it out) with WUFE, and install it. This should fix it.

3. Sobtanian
    OP

Sobtanian Newbie

For the first and last time also, why don't you read up a little bit before you claim to be authority. Go check the black screen madworld thread about trying to run the NTSC game on a chipped PAL wii, and you'll see, that surprise, surprise, even though we don't want to dump games, we need to install the cIOS. It's not an error 001/002, it's a BLACK SCREEN.

Bigger screen? again, read up a little bit... i'll leave you to google that one.

And thanks for the helpful part 2 though [​IMG]

4. Blue-K

Switzerland
    1) Mhm, well, that makes no sense for me. The cIOS installs as IOS249, and if you lauch a game from disc-Channel, it won't have acess to it (only if you patch it to use it, or install the cIOS as another IOS...). Strange...maybe I have to read more, yeah...sorry for that.

2)Still don't get the bigger Screen...and yes, I've searched around...care to explain, please [​IMG]?

3)More Infos where to find the mios v8: Animal Crossing, Disaster - Day of Crisis, Wii Music, so any games that have an Update to 3.3 and over that.

5. Sobtanian
    OP

Sobtanian Newbie

No clue why, I don't understand the tech behind the cios/ios stuff [​IMG]

The NTSC madworld disk runs on my PAL wii as 480i (we know the game has no 480p function). This gives me reasonable black borders (42" pioneer kuro).
    The PAL version runs at 576i which on my (and others in the PAL madworld thread) TV gives me bigger black borders (maybe due to the way the TV scales the picture)

Now, I'm a big noob, so can you tell me what I need to do with the mIOS for the gamecube thingie? I have wii music and disaster so I can extract from them

thanks [​IMG]

6. Blue-K

Switzerland
    Sorry, I was away [​IMG]

1)Well, that's why I linked you to that file. With it, you can force your Game which mode it will use (there's all mode included, 480i, 480p, MPAL, 576i and much more). Play around and you'll have fullscreen [​IMG]

2)It's easy. Once you extracted the .wad with WUFE, install it with WAD-Manager, and you're done. If an Error during extraction comes up, you maybe have to turn off the Update-Check in Starfall, after you extracted the wad, simply turn it on again.

Hope this helps.