Hacking A little Clarification please

EaZey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, im new to the GBAtemp community and i appologise if this is in the incorrect sub-forum, if so could admin please guide me to correct forum. thanks, sorry again.

------I have already got my backups working, this isnt asking for advice. I need a bit of clarification/ explanation on some of the concepts involved in the hacking of the wii.--------

I am currently on ver 3.3E i have the homebrew channel installed, i then installed CIOS 0.3 gamma by wiigator (i assume this is meaning custom firmware) (love the ease of use).
When i wish to play my backup games i use the backup launcher and all is well.
I then started reading more into firmwares and i see a lot about: downgrade to 3.2 so that i can use "starfall" which i understand can be used as a recovery console should the worst happen in playing my backup games.
--Hope im right up to at least here--

What i don't understand: if i have CIOS 0.3 gamma, isnt this my new firmware version? (although it doesnt say this in my wii settings, still says 3.3E)

I also have a bit of confusion with WADs. From my understanding a WAD is just an application which can be installed as a "wii channel" and allow me to install the application on my wii's harddrive instead of always returning to my SD card.
I've tried and tried to find information on exactly how a WAD works but to no avail.

I am currently looking into installing 3.2 and i should be able to do it so that i can use starfall. I feel its always important to have a contingency plan should the worse happen.

(i am pretty computer literate and should understand most technical jargon so please don't hold back. as in depth as you like, or as little. all information will be very helpfull)

As i said i would just rather know the ins and outs before i do it.
Thanks for your time, patience and incredible work.

PS: im thinking of using BIG MOE's easy to use installer for downgrading and installing starfall. Great post mate.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
"What i don't understand: if i have CIOS 0.3 gamma, isnt this my new firmware version? (although it doesnt say this in my wii settings, still says 3.3E)"

3.3 is the firmware version from nintendo, but the firmware actually consists of lots of very similar IOS. The "Gamma cIOS" is a custom IOS based on IOS36 and is installed as IOS249 in the Wii's NAND. No official software asks for IOS249 ==> for all official software it doesn't matter if it's installed or not.

Games have a specific IOS they ask for, Wii Sports ask for IOS9 for example. Gamma just loads IOS249 (whatever IOS there's installed) and runs the game with it. If you want to, you can consider IOS249 the firmware running while using Gamma.

electric pony

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
"What i don't understand: if i have CIOS 0.3 gamma, isnt this my new firmware version? (although it doesnt say this in my wii settings, still says 3.3E)"

3.3 is the firmware version from nintendo, but the firmware actually consists of lots of very similar IOS. The "Gamma cIOS" is a custom IOS based on IOS36 and is installed as IOS249 in the Wii's NAND. No official software asks for IOS249 ==> for all official software it doesn't matter if it's installed or not.

Games have a specific IOS they ask for, Wii Sports ask for IOS9 for example. Gamma just loads IOS249 (whatever IOS there's installed) and runs the game with it. If you want to, you can consider IOS249 the firmware running while using Gamma.
Thanks, I've been wanting clarification on this as well for some time now.

EaZey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower you are a Star. thank very much for the help. i had an eventfull day.

Went from 3.3E factory settings to 3.2E with Backup Gamma, Starfall, WAD Manager 1.3

ive went though a full drawer of underwear i think lol

klein

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am sorry to sort of hijack this thread but I have a few questions related to starfall.

If I accidentally download a PAL game and put it in my Wii, would gamma stop the firmware update or am I bricked? Would Starfall stop this? Can I play PAL games just fine on a NTSC-U Wii with gamma?

screamq3

Trophies
XP
Country
klein said:
I am sorry to sort of hijack this thread but I have a few questions related to starfall.

If I accidentally download a PAL game and put it in my Wii, would gamma stop the firmware update or am I bricked? Would Starfall stop this? Can I play PAL games just fine on a NTSC-U Wii with gamma?

Yes, starfall will stop the update so you will be safe from the update. no need to brickblock when you have starfall installed but i guess its handy to do aswell if you remember lol
smile.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
klein said:

Gamma is based on Gecko OS. Gecko OS just skips the update partition of a game and starts the game directly. Starfall is a good idea too, because if you use the rebooter, i don't know if the disc channel tries to install the update then. Oh and Starfall is a good idea in general because of the brick prevention.(if you know how, and not just install starfall)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea is sad. His 2 movies were good. Informative about our food industry.