A GW 2.0b2 flash - For Science!

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by F417H, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F417H
    OP

F417H GBAtemp Fan

Feb 5, 2014
    Hey guys,

I'm about to flash my GW from 2.0b1 to 2.0b2 and I have some n00b questions... Sorry if these have been answered in different areas but keeping it all in one place will be easier for me to process.

- Can saves be copied from the games I've played on 2.0b1 thus far?

- Is flashing just a case of repeating the whole setup process for 2.0b1?

- Will I need to back up my NAND again? (I have a backup from when I first set up the GW on 2.01b)

- Does EmuNAND have any additional risks to potential brick? Is EmuNAND worth playing with at this point?

Wish me luck, I'll begin the process when I have a clearer idea of the update process.. Once done i'll begin testing the system and games like ZeldaALBW.
    Thanks in advance.

2. longxa762

longxa762 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    nvm, delete this please

3. F417H
    OP

F417H GBAtemp Fan

Feb 5, 2014
    Well that's just it, by flashing a new launcher.dat do I stand to lose my saves etc from games already played?

4. Danny350

Danny350 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    All you have to do is replace the 2.0b1 launcher with the 2.0b2 launcher. Your saves will still work and be fine. You do not need to backup your NAND again as long as you already have a 4.1-4.5 backup of it. I can't answer the extra risk of being bricked because EmuNAND, I don't know if that is the case or not.

5. F417H
    OP

F417H GBAtemp Fan

Feb 5, 2014
    So the GW_INSTALLER.nds for the Blue Card won't be required for updating? JUST have to change the launcher?

6. dagro

dagro GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2013
  7. F417H
    OP

F417H GBAtemp Fan

Feb 5, 2014

+1 for the link, -1 for being an asshole. People are scared of using GW at the moment, if its 'safe' to upgrade we're gonna have to get over fears etc and it'll take a few people to document it and ask n00b questions to have faith in the devs restored. I back GW and their work, I've been going through this process and its all very exciting and emotional.
    Never said I was the first to install 2.0b2 throughout all this, but thanks for dropping by

8. dagro

dagro GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Wouldve been kinder if you werent stupid enough to read basic instructions even provided on official gateway website of how to change firmware. Also it is already mentioned yes there is possible code that could dmg your system (which is fixable now) so if you are unable to follow simple steps of changing firmware you shouldn't make a thread saying I will document all the features etc.

Instead of making threads about every little thing why not read up some pages it will most likely answer all your questions.

9. MichiS97

MichiS97 "Leftist snowflake milennial"

GBAtemp Patron
    MichiS97 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Bavaria
    @OP: Are you seriously calling copying a file onto a SD card "flashing"? Do you even know what flashing means? (I'm talking about our kind of flashing, not the showing-your-tits-kind of flashing)

dagro likes this.
  10. F417H
    OP

F417H GBAtemp Fan

Feb 5, 2014

You're right I'm a n00b - Yes I know there is a difference between flashing and shifting stuff about between media lol

11. JMa

JMa Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2014
    United States
    Utah
    Umhh.. taking into account that a SD or microSD card has a flash memory inside... maybe it's not so wrong "flashing" xD

gamesquest1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.