A Few Questions On PS3 Hacking

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by godreborn, Sep 10, 2011.

Sep 10, 2011
  1. godreborn
    OP

Member godreborn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I just bought a ps3, but I have some questions:

1. as long as ur on 3.55 or below, hacking is essentially done the same way, correct? I only ask this, because I remember reading, when ps3 hacking was new, that there were some problems with installing cfw on certain ps3 sku's. I bought a launch 60GB btw.

2. I've heard that some games can only be played with a disc inside the drive or from an internal hard drive. what happens if u try to play a game without a disc that needs one or one that requires an internal hard drive on an external?

3. do all games work from an internal hard drive and would it be best to use one of those rather than the hit and miss nature of an external hard drive?

4. how large (mm wise) of an internal hard drive can be fitted to one of the launch units? I know that some of the larger-capacity drives r actually a few mm larger than lower-capacity ones. I'm assuming this could be a problem fitting the drive into the bay.

5. if I use an external hard drive to play ps2 games using the usb-advance method, am I able to put ps3 games on the drive as well? I think I recall that u needed to format the drive to a specific file-system, but I'm not sure if that file-system was fat32 or not.

6. with ps3 games that require a disc, will any ps3 disc work including demo discs?

7. currently games that require a ps3 to have a firmware version higher than 3.55 r unplayable--correct?

8. and, does the ps3 ask u whether or not u want to accept an update if I were to accidentally boot up a ps3 game which contained an update? I definitely wouldn't want the game to update automatically upon booting.

thanks!

2. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States

3. godreborn
    OP

Member godreborn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I read that there was a way to spoof the system into thinking u were on ofw 3.7 when u were actually on cfw 3.55. what exactly is the point of doing this if 3.56+ games are still unplayable?

4. MorPhiend

Newcomer MorPhiend Member

United States
    The spoofs are simply for people who fear douchebag relatives or friends getting on their machine and updating the FW. People have no respext for others' belongings and I have heard countless tales of someone's FW being updated due to this. Even if I had no idea about modding or technology I would never modify someone else's setup without asking them. In fact it makes more sense to me for someone who hasn't got a clue to be afraid to change something on someone's tech. Just a sign of the general self-centeredness and laziness of society today, I guess...

Back on topic, the spoof just keeps the PS3 from prompting you to update the firmware. Simple as that.