Homebrew 64gb SDXC Card Not Recognized?

UrkeytaY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normally, I wouldn't ask for help like this, but I'm at wits end. I have a CFW 3DS XL (old version w/o native Amiibo support) and have been using a 32gb Sandisk Ultra SD Card, which works flawlessly. Things are starting to fill up a bit, so I purchased a 64GB Sandisk Ultra SDXC card. Unfortunately, the 3DS (and a 2DS) will not read the card. I have formatted it to Fat32 with both 32kb, and 64kb cluster size, still resulting in fail. I have used Mini Partition Wizard, and also guiformat as well. I haven't tried a command line format, but I think at this point, if a gui solution didn't work, that won't either. Could be wrong though?

Is it possible this particular card will just never work? It was purchased from Amazon, so I know it's not a knock off card or anything.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Master Dimentio

The Pleaser Of Crowds
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Did you before loading the sd card convert the sd card to FAT32 format? That usually is the problem. I dont have it on me but it might help if you check here or google for a FAT32 sd format converter. I know theres a free program out there that lets you do it. The key is to make sure before you load it to be sure its fat32 format. If you do that it should work on the 3ds. Hope that helps.

Edit: well shit i didnt see the part where you said.you had formatted to fat32. Umm in that case all i can suggest is trying the converter i mentioned and maybe it will do something? I couldve sworn ive used the same.exact sd card and got it working

Last edited by Master Dimentio,

UrkeytaY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried another utility to no avail. The card tests out fine...frustrating to say the least that I've spent this much time on something that should be really simple.

Master Dimentio

The Pleaser Of Crowds
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Dont lose hope just yet... With all the technologically advanced people we have on this site Im sure someone will be able to help you figure this out. I might be able to help you any further with this problem but usually a good thing to try out when I have a technical problem is look up said problem on google. Youtube videos also help a lot. Just keep your chin up. Youll get it eventually. I know ive gotten this same type of sd card to work for.me. before.

UrkeytaY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hah! So I had to set the partition to active in Mini Partition Wizard (didn't think that mattered for a 3ds) - Everything works perfect now! Thanks for looking =)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad you managed to get it to work.

The SD card specification has gone through a few major revisions over the years. The first version only supported cards from 64MB up to 2GB in size, and if you tried really hard you could find a couple nonstandard 4GB cards for a brief moment while the market adjusted. After that, the SDHC ("Secure Digital - High Capacity") specification went from 2GB to 32GB, and most DS flash carts needed either newer hardware or reflashable firmware to support these higher-capacity cards. Most of them now support up to 32GB cards.

Anything higher than 32 GB however requires a new standard, "SDXC" for "Secure Digital Xtreme Capacity" - this now supports up to 2 Terabytes of storage if they manage to make microSD cards that big.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.