Hacking 6.2 advantages?

Tobberoth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The advantage is obviously the ability to run newer games. One can also assume that the updates include improvements to Horizon, so I would just assume newer updates tend to run better.

There are no disadvantages. You can upgrade without burning fuses, Devmenu works fine on 6.2, and it's unlikely that there will be big improvements in the future which will be locked to lower firmwares. And even IF that's the case, you can just downgrade assuming you did a proper NAND backup and didn't burn fuses while updating.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Personally, I’d try to save the fuses since there’s always that chance someone discovers a coldboothax or some other easier method.

I need to use a dongle anyway and personally I’m not bothered by the autoRCM issues.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same questions over and over, no mater how many people have answered them, in this thread and in countless others.

If you want cold boot, you must be on 4.1 or lower, and save your fuses if you update. Cold boot may or may not see a public release within 5 years. (just throwing out an arbitrary date, since the only thing anyone has ever shown me was a pretty green screen. No WORKING cold boot or warm boot has been shown publicly, and no warm boot method could ever take advantage of this fix, since you'd need to use RCM to boot in the first place.)

If you update while saving fuses, for whatever reason (to play newer games, visit the eshop, etc) you risk a ban, unless you always keep it offline and update your games offline, because you MUST ALWAYS boot with CFW.

If you are currently above 4.1, you can always sit back and hope, but there isn't even a rumor of a coldboot at that stage, so you're locking yourself into CFW-only mode for no reason at all.

The sleep mode fix isn't really that useful unless the pending cold boot method is early enough in the boot chain to actually work, with the extra fuses burnt (so yes, this seep mode fix enables you to use the switch normally with a lower firmware than your fuses say, but again, it locks you into a CFW-ONLY mode, via RCM).

The best solution for me, personally, is to always be up to date, because I am not banned, and I can visit the eshop, download game updates and DLC as intended for all of my legit games, and since I use SX, I have emunand (with Ninty blocked in the DNS) to play with homebrew and .NSPs and such.

Another option, if using a dongle is simply too troublesome for you, is to solder on a trinket or something and you can have cold boot right now.

Your choice.

P.S.
Funny thing is, unless the cold boot does eventually come out, and does work early enough to patch out the fuse checks from a coldboot, this sleep fix is actually more useful for emunand, than it is for any other free CFW. Because if not, there is absolutely ZERO reason to downgrade in the first place (assuming your fuses have already been burnt above 4.1)!

Last edited by urherenow,

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Just update emunand to the latest firmware and leave you system OS on lower firmware. Did you even read the instructions on sx os website? There's no need to update your system OS unless you want to play online on Ninty servers.

ssssss13

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Warmboot will probably be a thing for everyone without an ipatched switch in the future. Because they fixed the problem with sleep mode, you can always downgrade to any FW moving forward. You can safley update to 6.2. It will cause you no problems . Just always use Choi for good measure and you will be good to go. If in the future you want to downgrade you always can. Keep a backup always goes without saying.
This is simply nota true. If you are 6.2 ,try yo hoy back yo 5.1,4.1, whatever,and boot normally.switch wont boot. ONLY un cfw.

Grmmish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you explain why fuses dont matter anymore? Thanks

Primarily because their aren't many real advantages for keeping them for now. Many of the CFWs and exploits work on all firmwares anyway so AS OF NOW there aren't upfront many incentives for keeping a lower firmware.

However... There's no saying in the future, big Jimmy may not find out that if you have a Switch on firmware X and under, you could play Playstation 5 games full speed and for free.... But right now, nothing exclusive for certain firmwares (Especially that is worth it) has been discovered or made.

Then there's users like me who are super banned and can't update without Choidujour. So updating without it isn't an option, which means I couldn't burn fuses even if I wanted to

LOL YOUR IMAGE IS PERFECT FOR THIS! XDD

Reactions: MattKimura

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is simply nota true. If you are 6.2 ,try yo hoy back yo 5.1,4.1, whatever,and boot normally.switch wont boot. ONLY un cfw.

I am on 6.2, I can downgrade to 4.0.1 and it will boot normally as the fuses aren't burned.

What you say is correct if you boot 6.2 normally and let it burn fuses

Last edited by smf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Dude just shat himself.