Hacking SAMD Fusee Payload Launcher V2

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This project is an update to my SAMD Loader project described here.

Now with more beautiful pictures!

Top fixed 2.jpg IMG_2578.JPG IMG_2597.JPG

My old less beautiful pic. :)

IMAG0587_BURST002.jpg

Got a lot of feedback on the build, overwhelmingly positive but with a few well deserved complaints that it was missing USB C. V2 solves that problem with dual USB micro B and USB C onboard.

This project is an Atmel SAMD21 Payload Injector dongle, used for sending RCM payloads to the Switch. It is easily reflashable using a simple "drag & drop" of files from PC, and all the source code is freely available on Github - see the original thread for all the glorious technical details of the development side.

Link to the hackaday.io project page: https://hackaday.io/project/160187-samd-v2-fusee-payload-injector

Now with a case! Generously uploaded by Hatch, the case design is freely available on thingiverse here, and can be easily manufactured by anyone with a 3D printer. For those who buy a case from me, Hatch gets 10% of the total sale price.

All available firmware options are attached here. All you need is the UF2 file.

To update/flash the dongle to a new firmware
  1. Connect the dongle to PC via USB B or USB C. Doesn't need to be switched on, it will get power from PC
  2. Double click the reset button. If it's in a case, use a pen or toothpick to click reset
  3. A drive will pop up called FIRMWARE. Drop the desired UF2 file on it, and wait for it to finish writing. Done!
To make a new UF2 file with a custom .bin payload, I recommend UF2 Splicer by bundat.
  1. Unzip the UF2 splicer tool
  2. Drop your new .bin payload onto the batch file called "DRAG_PAYLOAD_HERE"
  3. Flash your dongle using the newly updated CURRENT.UF2 file from the splicer.

I know I've been very quiet for the last week or two, and that's because I've been in the shop, slaving over this little bastard until every damn detail was right. The more I consider how TX has tried to corner the market with borrowed and misappropriated tech, the more I want to put SOME kind of community-based payload injector in the hands of everyone who wants one.

There's a lot of options out there, and I'm happy to provide one that I think it commercial-quality with the community in mind. If you'd like to pick up a SAMD V2, you can do so via the WTS section here, or just PM me. I am happy to supply the guts only if you would like to print your own case, or I can send a fully assembled unit as shown in the pic. Complete, and ready to inject.

I have also spent an obnoxious amount of time developing a precision-printed RCM jig that won't overstress your joycon connector. I tried many eBay jigs and everything on thingiverse and I was not happy with any of them. Once I decided to do it myself, I made 14 revisions and did a crapload of testing, but I'm happy to announce that it is finally working perfectly. I send one along with any V2 that goes out, but if you are interested just PM me.

Attachments

• SAMD21_Loader_hekate_v3p2.zip
    107.3 KB · Views: 230
  • SAMD21_Loader_ReiNX.zip
    70.8 KB · Views: 175
  • SAMD21_Loader_SX-Launcher.zip
    34.3 KB · Views: 160
  • SAMD21_MultiLoader.zip
    164.8 KB · Views: 163
  • SAMD21_Loader_hekate4p0.zip
    103.2 KB · Views: 139
  • SAMD21_Loader_hekate_v4p1.zip
    105.5 KB · Views: 202
  • SAMD21_ReiNX_1p7_Launcher.zip
    71.3 KB · Views: 198
  • UF2_Splicer.zip
    45.6 KB · Views: 239
  • SAMD21_Loader_hekate_v4p2.zip
    106.3 KB · Views: 190
Last edited by electronrancher,

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No offense but what does this offer over the r4 priced cheaper

Every board sends the same data, and r4 looks like a reasonable clone offering. Are you a reseller, then?

What I can offer is a device that comes from the community, and is not just a cash grab from another chinese factory. Plus, shipping from the US which is a hell of a lot faster than overseas, as well as personalized support as I stand behind my work and I'm happy to add new builds and features as things come along. If you want an r4, go buy one - no worries from me, I am only trying to support the folks who don't want to buy into that stuff but don't have the expertise do do it all themselves.

Plus, it's fun! I like building things, and I'm happy with the way this one has turned out!

Last edited by electronrancher,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Every board sends the same data, and r4 looks like a reasonable clone offering. Are you a reseller, then?

What I can offer is a device that comes from the community, and is not just a cash grab from another chinese factory. Plus, shipping from the US which is a hell of a lot faster than overseas, as well as personalized support as I stand behind my work and I'm happy to add new builds and features as things come along. If you want an r4, go buy one - no worries from me, I am only trying to support the folks who don't want to buy into that stuff but don't have the expertise do do it all themselves.

Plus, it's fun! I like building things, and I'm happy with the way this one has turned out!
I actually like the way this looks. You wouldn't happen to have an SX dongle for scale would you? Interested in a size comparison

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually like the way this looks. You wouldn't happen to have an SX dongle for scale would you? Interested in a size comparison
Thanks!
It's probably 2x the size of SX in length and width, but I wasn't going for ultra compact. It's got a CR2032 battery inside so you don't have to charge it up, so that pretty much defines the minimum size that it could fit in.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Thanks!
It's probably 2x the size of SX in length and width, but I wasn't going for ultra compact. It's got a CR2032 battery inside so you don't have to charge it up, so that pretty much defines the minimum size that it could fit in.

So, following along with the "technical post" is setup fairly simple then?

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any idea on how long the battery lasts?
The estimate I made before is approximately 2000 launches. You really only need to have it on for 30 seconds or less at a time.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So, following along with the "technical post" is setup fairly simple then?
Sure, they are all very simple.
To launch: Turn on, plug in loader and RCM jig. Hold volume + and press power.
To change payload: Connect to PC, double click reset. A flash drive will open. Drop the new firmware on and you're done. :)

CymraegAce

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice work. Good to see electronic engineers doing what they do best, tinkering & creating good quality solutions.! :)

While it achieves nothing new, you can see the time & dedication that has gone into this.. *tips my hat*

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, brother! Doing well, just too darn busy these days. :). Dinnertime now and got a call to Japan right after so it's going to be another late night. Is it the weekend yet?
Your ordering sushi from japan ? :rofl2:

I wish it was the weekend i need some spirits glad yo hear your doing ok, and nice to see your v2 of your dongle. good luck to you and hope you make many sales.

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, just placed an order. This actually looks rather useful.

Hey that's great, thanks so much! I just built a new set of boards and you will get the very fist one, so it's perfect timing.

Don't hesitate to get in touch with any questions or feedback, I'm guessing you're OK with hekate payload?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1