50% off Win 7 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Jiggah, Jun 26, 2009.

Jun 26, 2009

50% off Win 7 Upgrade by Jiggah at 3:20 PM (1,763 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Jiggah
    OP

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Get it today. There are only certain retailers offering this. Also, you Euro cats are out of luck. You can go ahead and blame the EU.

http://gizmodo.com/5302734/how-to-pre+orde...to-cut-the-line

This is for the UPGRADE version only. This is not the full retail version.

Edit:

According to Paul Thurrott, you can do the "clean install" that was possible in Vista. I guess it makes sense i.e. what if your hard drive decides to blow itself up.

2. Technik

Member Technik GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Whoa this is awesome! Thanks!

3. Jiggah
    OP

United States
    I just wanted to also note this is a limited time preorder only.

4. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Can you install this on more than one computer in your house? Or is it 1 computer only?

5. Jiggah
    OP

United States
    Only Ultimate is able to install on more than a single computer. However, it's 50 bucks for a Home Premium meaning you can get basically 3 upgrade versions for the equivalent of a single retail package.

6. Big Kong Boss

Member Big Kong Boss GBAtemp Fan

Korea, South
    Wow man, what a deal! But, I'm running XP on a crap computer. I'm gonna get a new one sometime in July, so...

Anyway, thanks for the news! [​IMG]

7. Salamantis

Canada
    I have 2 laptops, and I want to install it on both. I have a 25$ off 75$ rebate at Staples, so I guess I'll buy something extra for 10$ and get the rebate...
    Maybe I'll get the upgrade on the family laptop and just run a pirated copy on my personal one. Dunno.

8. Jiggah
    OP

United States
    If you run a pirated version of any previous Windows, chances are the upgrade will fail. It does a validation check at the beginning for any previous version before validating the Win 7 key and invalidating the old key.

9. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    still don't see what this has over XP, Its not like it makes my programs run faster.

10. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    fresh install > upgrade

though it wont matter since I will obtain the full ver from other sources...

11. yeahitschris

Member yeahitschris GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i would install this, but i like XP. and if it aint broke, no point in upgrading /fixing it

edit; was reading posters above, how come my XP professional can install into more than 1 cpu? can't windows 7 professional do the same?

12. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

Europeans use linux no 50% of scheme EVER!

13. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Having run Windows 7 in dual boot with XP Pro for months, I finally jumped to running solely Windows 7 RC1 on my main rig for the past 2 months. No real hiccups, just a reminder to folks don't update your drivers in general unless you are experiencing issues, I had to rollback both my audio and GFX drivers, but eh.

I'm also running Windows 7 RC1 on boot camp mode on my Mac Mini, and it runs like a champ. It's nice to be able to play my Steam games on my TV rather than on a (comparatively) cramped 20" monitor.

In short, Windows 7 seems to me to be what we all hoped that Vista would have been. It's intuitive and gorgeous. Yes it will take a couple days to get used to some of the new bits, but it's stable and quick.

So yeah, I bought 2 copies of Home Premium. I might buy more, I'm still debating if it's worth installing on my Asus EEEPC 901. I am holding off, because I can't install the RC1 on it, via any method I have thus tried.

14. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You played some games on Windows 7 yet , the demanding type ?

15. Salamantis

Canada
    What happened when you tried to install Windows 7 on it? Any errors or something?

On topic, I preordered 1 copy of Home Premium now in Best Buy, because I had a gift card with 51 cents on it (lol) and the points card.
    When I'll have the time I'll go order another copy in Staples using the 25$ coupon I have.

16. Foxle

Member Foxle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Micro Center has Win7 Home preorders for $40 and Professional preorders for $90 this weekend only. If you live by one, you might want to check it out.

Also, you're able to do a clean install from the upgrade version.

17. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    how much is 50% of 0? [​IMG]

18. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

I would buy it if I knew I couldn't just turn around and get it for free from my college (through whatever that microsoft program is called), the RC is just too good

19. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    I am assuming you mean on my EEEPC? Just couldn't even get it to get past BIOS post, didn't matter how I attempted to install it. Just infuriating.

Also, I will correct previous statement. I am running the 64 bit version on my main rig, and the 32 bit version on the Mac mini