Jiggah

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Get it today. There are only certain retailers offering this. Also, you Euro cats are out of luck. You can go ahead and blame the EU.

http://gizmodo.com/5302734/how-to-pre+orde...to-cut-the-line

This is for the UPGRADE version only. This is not the full retail version.

Edit:

According to Paul Thurrott, you can do the "clean install" that was possible in Vista. I guess it makes sense i.e. what if your hard drive decides to blow itself up.

Jiggah

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Salamantis said:
Can you install this on more than one computer in your house? Or is it 1 computer only?

Only Ultimate is able to install on more than a single computer. However, it's 50 bucks for a Home Premium meaning you can get basically 3 upgrade versions for the equivalent of a single retail package.

Big Kong Boss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow man, what a deal! But, I'm running XP on a crap computer. I'm gonna get a new one sometime in July, so...

Anyway, thanks for the news!
toot.gif

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jiggah said:
Salamantis said:
Can you install this on more than one computer in your house? Or is it 1 computer only?
Only Ultimate is able to install on more than a single computer. However, it's 50 bucks for a Home Premium meaning you can get basically 3 upgrade versions for the equivalent of a single retail package.
I have 2 laptops, and I want to install it on both. I have a 25$ off 75$ rebate at Staples, so I guess I'll buy something extra for 10$ and get the rebate...
Maybe I'll get the upgrade on the family laptop and just run a pirated copy on my personal one. Dunno.

Jiggah

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Salamantis said:
Jiggah said:
Salamantis said:
I have 2 laptops, and I want to install it on both. I have a 25$ off 75$ rebate at Staples, so I guess I'll buy something extra for 10$ and get the rebate...
Maybe I'll get the upgrade on the family laptop and just run a pirated copy on my personal one. Dunno.

If you run a pirated version of any previous Windows, chances are the upgrade will fail. It does a validation check at the beginning for any previous version before validating the Win 7 key and invalidating the old key.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fresh install > upgrade

though it wont matter since I will obtain the full ver from other sources...

yeahitschris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would install this, but i like XP. and if it aint broke, no point in upgrading /fixing it

edit; was reading posters above, how come my XP professional can install into more than 1 cpu? can't windows 7 professional do the same?

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
Get it today. There are only certain retailers offering this. Also, you Euro cats are out of luck. You can go ahead and blame the EU.

http://gizmodo.com/5302734/how-to-pre+orde...to-cut-the-line

This is for the UPGRADE version only. This is not the full retail version.

Edit:

According to Paul Thurrott, you can do the "clean install" that was possible in Vista. I guess it makes sense i.e. what if your hard drive decides to blow itself up.

Europeans use linux no 50% of scheme EVER!

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having run Windows 7 in dual boot with XP Pro for months, I finally jumped to running solely Windows 7 RC1 on my main rig for the past 2 months. No real hiccups, just a reminder to folks don't update your drivers in general unless you are experiencing issues, I had to rollback both my audio and GFX drivers, but eh.

I'm also running Windows 7 RC1 on boot camp mode on my Mac Mini, and it runs like a champ. It's nice to be able to play my Steam games on my TV rather than on a (comparatively) cramped 20" monitor.

In short, Windows 7 seems to me to be what we all hoped that Vista would have been. It's intuitive and gorgeous. Yes it will take a couple days to get used to some of the new bits, but it's stable and quick.

So yeah, I bought 2 copies of Home Premium. I might buy more, I'm still debating if it's worth installing on my Asus EEEPC 901. I am holding off, because I can't install the RC1 on it, via any method I have thus tried.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jesterscourt said:
So yeah, I bought 2 copies of Home Premium. I might buy more, I'm still debating if it's worth installing on my Asus EEEPC 901. I am holding off, because I can't install the RC1 on it, via any method I have thus tried.
What happened when you tried to install Windows 7 on it? Any errors or something?

On topic, I preordered 1 copy of Home Premium now in Best Buy, because I had a gift card with 51 cents on it (lol) and the points card.
When I'll have the time I'll go order another copy in Staples using the 25$ coupon I have.

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Micro Center has Win7 Home preorders for $40 and Professional preorders for $90 this weekend only. If you live by one, you might want to check it out.

Also, you're able to do a clean install from the upgrade version.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would buy it if I knew I couldn't just turn around and get it for free from my college (through whatever that microsoft program is called), the RC is just too good

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Athlon-pv said:
You played some games on Windows 7 yet , the demanding type ?

I can run Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, The Witcher Enhanced, Team Fortress 2, Call of Duty 4, and Left 4 Dead without any problems.

QUOTE(Salamantis @ Jun 27 2009, 10:04 AM) What happened when you tried to install Windows 7 on it? Any errors or something?
I am assuming you mean on my EEEPC? Just couldn't even get it to get past BIOS post, didn't matter how I attempted to install it. Just infuriating.

Also, I will correct previous statement. I am running the 64 bit version on my main rig, and the 32 bit version on the Mac mini

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?