Hacking 5.5.0 Brain Training Installed No NNID

wiiando

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Picked up a faulty Wii U earlier today with a flashing red light which is now fixed (loose/intermittent drive ribbon cable), I updated it to 5.5.0 with Minecraft and now notice it has the DS game Brain Training installed.

There are multiple users setup but none have a NNID linked, will this cause a brick if I was to use coldboot haxchi?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Picked up a faulty Wii U earlier today with a flashing red light which is now fixed (loose/intermittent drive ribbon cable), I updated it to 5.5.0 with Minecraft and now notice it has the DS game Brain Training installed.

There are multiple users setup but none have a NNID linked, will this cause a brick if I was to use coldboot haxchi?
Yes. Don't do it. Get a reliable DS installed linked to a NNID before you try CBHC

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Yes. Don't do it. Get a reliable DS installed linked to a NNID before you try CBHC
The actual question you should ask is "does it boot?"
Try starting Brain Training from a fresh boot. If it doesn't let you, it won't work for CBHC. If it does work, try normal Haxchi first. And if that works, it can't hurt to wait for confirmation from the actual experts around here.

wiiando

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try starting Brain Training from a fresh boot. If it doesn't let you, it won't work for CBHC. If it does work, try normal Haxchi first. And if that works, it can't hurt to wait for confirmation from the actual experts around here.

It boots from a fresh boot, no matter what user I choose, not tried anything with haxchi at all yet

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if that did work, without knowing how and which NNID the official game is tied to, you run the risk of easily bricking. It's better to set it up fresh using your own NNID. You'll thank me later.

@N7Kopper , I'd never call myself an "actual expert" but I bet there are many on here that would say I know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: bostonBC

wiiando

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused slightly, I was under the impression that if you unlink/delete a NNID any associated games would be deleted too, or is that incorrect?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused slightly, I was under the impression that if you unlink/delete a NNID any associated games would be deleted too, or is that incorrect?
No that is correct but you said you have no idea what games are linked to what NNID. You won't brick unless you have CBHC.

What I'm saying is don't install CBHC. If you have it remove it. Then format and start from scratch like you bought it retail. That way you know what you have and how you hacked it and can avoid bricks.

Yes you'll lose whatever was on there but at least you'll know what you have and won't brick because of it.

wiiando

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No that is correct but you said you have no idea what games are linked to what NNID. You won't brick unless you have CBHC.

What I'm saying is don't install CBHC. If you have it remove it. Then format and start from scratch like you bought it retail. That way you know what you have and how you hacked it and can avoid bricks.

Yes you'll lose whatever was on there but at least you'll know what you have and won't brick because of it.

So it would be safe to install haxchi with no nnid, but not use CBHC?

I know the game is cheap to buy but if it's usable already then i'd prefer to do that.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So it would be safe to install haxchi with no nnid, but not use CBHC?

I know the game is cheap to buy but if it's usable already then i'd prefer to do that.
Yes, try haxchi first.... safe to try, and if it works, bingo, either keep it or then move on to CBHC (your choice). If it doesn't work then get setup with the nnid/DS game.

wiiando

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, try haxchi first.... safe to try, and if it works, bingo, either keep it or then move on to CBHC (your choice). If it doesn't work then get setup with the nnid/DS game.

No good, seems it's a old version, haxchi installer complains about missing rom.zip inside the game :(

wiiando

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok is this weird or is it supposed to be like this?

So I updated to 5.5.2 as the mocha boot is just too unreliable so wanted to pay for brain training, so I made a new NNID and a new mii and linked the two, searched the eshop for the game and it says I already own it, so I deleted the current installed one and went back to the eshop and it's now let me download it again as a purchased product, apparently this console is entitled to it, never heard of that before.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Why would that work?

They're not just going to give it away for free
It would work if the console itself has valid licence to the game, I think. Since Brain Training was given for free anyway when it initially launched, and that is why it is most common method for people, and why so many wii U's have it installed even if they had nothing else on their flash nands

wiiando

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would work if the console itself has valid licence to the game, I think. Since Brain Training was given for free anyway when it initially launched, and that is why it is most common method for people, and why so many wii U's have it installed even if they had nothing else on their flash nands

Ye that's exactly what's just happened, was unaware of this, thanks for the clarification

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Ok is this weird or is it supposed to be like this?

So I updated to 5.5.2 as the mocha boot is just too unreliable so wanted to pay for brain training, so I made a new NNID and a new mii and linked the two, searched the eshop for the game and it says I already own it, so I deleted the current installed one and went back to the eshop and it's now let me download it again as a purchased product, apparently this console is entitled to it, never heard of that before.
You were already told that before here:
Why not create a nnid account and go to eshop and see if it'll let you download with you nnid.
But you disregarded it here:
Why would that work?

They're not just going to give it away for free
They did give it away for free at some point. Something related to when nnid was created or something. Linking a nnid ties the game to it, which is what happened to you.

And yes, it's a known fact that those that were given out were old version and you only had to redownload them.

Basically, you stumbled on the answer by complete accident. But definitely nothing weird about it

wiiando

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You were already told that before here:

But you disregarded it here:

They did give it away for free at some point. Something related to when nnid was created or something. Linking a nnid ties the game to it, which is what happened to you.

And yes, it's a known fact that those that were given out were old version and you only had to redownload them.

Basically, you stumbled on the answer by complete accident. But definitely nothing weird about it

Some clarification wouldn't of went a miss about how the console could download it for free, how else would I have known?

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Some clarification wouldn't of went a miss about how the console could download it for free, how else would I have known?
I don't know much about the issue, but I think it's a preinstalled, hence it being an old version.

And I'm not saying you should've known the answer. I'm saying the answer was in front of you but for whatever reason you were quick to dismiss it.

It's not even a troublesome answer. Creating a nnid is probably something you would have done anyway. So you only had to go to eshop and see if you could redownload.

Either way. Glad to see nothing bad came out of this, and whoever reads this will now know if they haven't already :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast