Hacking 4GB solid microSD for the R4

Chris_Skylock

OP
Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
Just saw a Scandisk 4GB non-SDHC microSD at our mall awhile ago and I would like to ask if it will work for the Genuine R4 non-spring 2nd generation. I saw some post last year but didnt understand too well.

sorry for my ignorant question. I know 4GB SDHC wont work. How about the solid 4GB one?

regards,
Chris

--
The 4GB solid micro SD that I hopefully work on R4
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb215/p...2022009_001.jpg

Side by side 4GB solid with A-Data SDHC 4GB
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb215/p...2022009_002.jpg

Zerrix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think they won't work either, but it's worth a try
wink.gif

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
DarkRey said:
the solid 4GB?
that cant be possible
all the cards above 2GB are SDHC
so probably thats a fake card?
Not true.
In fact, there are 4GB microsd non-sdhc cards.

But, if it works on the R4..
It should work, as it is non-sdhc..
But then again.. it IS R4..

Well, if it's not too expensive, it's worth the try!

Chris_Skylock

OP
Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
It's cheap but im afraid the name Scandisk might be fake for a cheap card like that. mostly, when you say scandisk, it's worth US$14 for 1GB microsd. Or then again, it's becomingcheaper now adays.

The 4GB solid 4GB is worth US$9 (Php450) while the 2GB is worth US$4.00 (Php200).

I'll report back once I bought them next week or so as I dont have money even for that cheap.

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it.

regards,
Chris

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkRey said:
the solid 4GB?
that cant be possible
all the cards above 2GB are SDHC
so probably thats a fake card?
QUOTE(DarkRey @ Feb 1 2009, 09:26 AM) im pretty sure there arent 4gb non-sdhc microsd
It isn't a matter of whether it's an SDHC or not because 4GB non-SDHC cards do exist. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I say try it.

jenngcia

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Scandisk? You mean Sandisk. 4GB non-SDHC must be very rare for MicroSD, I'd seen non-SDHC SD (Transcend) but not MicroSD.

Would be interesting to see whether it will work.

On an older Pocket PC (PDA) that doesn't support SDHC, a non-SDHC 4GB SD would work, so wonder if it's the same with the R4.

It is kinda suprising if it's from Sandisk, which developed the SD standard to release a non-standard 4GB card. Unless, there's really a demand for these non-standard card for older devices...

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
You have a small chance it works, it would work if the firmware is written to detect memory higher than 2GB. I guess it isn't gonna work. I wouldn't be surprised if they put a limit to 2 GigaByte on purpose.

Chris_Skylock

OP
Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
My supplier will be RockSoftOnline. I met the owner, have my DS Lite replaced the housing. Though they're pricey sometimes but I have no choice since they're offering more items for me to choose from.

It's for the Philippines only for now. They have everything Americans have as an online store. I'll be ordering Acekard 2 from Rocksoft as Im tired of making YSMenu on my R4.

I'll buy the cards tomorrow, I'll ask my parents for additional budget. Though my files on my R4 are 2GB. I'll add more if some games interest me.

--

It doesnt says SDHC on the package, I look every inch of the box as it was displayed. Will send a photo later as evidence. I'll ask the clerks to show me some sample

--

The store is CSI The City Mall here in Dagupan City, Philippines (Now you know where I am. No nuclear bombs please via satellite)

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's cheap, just go for it. There ARE non-HC microSD cards in 4GB flavors, just not more than that.

Also, Newegg is having a sale right now for when you get the AceKard 2(good choice, BTW). I picked up a Transcend 8GB microSDHC card for $13.50 with free shipping.

Chris_Skylock

OP
Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
I already added pics with the solid 4GB and a 4GB SDHC. look at the first post. it's in the link of my photobucket.

The price is Php490 for the solid and Php500 for the SDHC. The price difference is Php10 between the normal and the SDHC.

Is it safe to buy a solid 4GB microSD wether for R4 or other devices?

Philippine Pesos to dollar is Php47 to Php50 is to US$1

So the price is US$9.80 for the solid 4GB and US$10 for the SDHC. The price difference is US$0.20

jenngcia

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Actually, after your post, I went to the largest PC accessories chain here in the Philippines (CDR...). And they too, offers non-SDHC 4GB MicroSD, own house brand. 490 pesos.

BUT HOLD YOUR HORSES! I bought one, tried it on a R4 (second gen - without spring). Firmware 1.18. RAW (not formatted, since FAT16 doesn't handle 4GB, and I doubt R4 can read FAT32). STUCKED on first screen (Loading...)

I then removed the card, add in Firmware 1.43 Edge. Same format. It ran flawlessly on my Edge card.

So my conclusion is that R4 WILL NOT work with 4GB, SDHC or not. Didn't tried YsMenu since I am not too knowledgeable with it...

meateater

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The pic says Sandisk. He just misspelled it in his post. It should work, if the MicroSD is not SDHC. Can't you just buy it and return it if it doesn't work? That what I would do at my local Fry's.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ending to the fallout series was lame could've gave us a bit more