MeltingFeathers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey all,

Sorry for the confusing details here. Wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar or has any ideas.

I recently acquired a Wii, model RVL-001, and modded it using wii.guide. It works fine with the component cable, and I just got a third party Composite cable to play it on a 1080p Samsung Plasma, but it won't display at all. So I used the composite cables from the Wii and plugged the green cable into the yellow component port on the Samsung, and it displays in black in white, but I still can't select 480p. I've got an old CRT TV with both component and composite ports, but plugging the Wii into that with composite cables is a garbled mess, and I still couldn't select 480p.

When using the composite cable into my Samsung Plasma TV, it just says 'resolution not supported', so I was hoping that I just needed to change it to 480p. I'm wondering if it's a hardware fault with the Wii, or if it's anything to do with modding it? I've tried 3 different HD TVs, and none of them recognise the Wii with composite, but component works fine.

The thing is, it does actually display on the CRT with composite, even though it's garbled, but I don't know if that's because of the TV or the Wii. It seems like it might be the Wii. Is it possible for the Wii to be faulty outputting on composite but not component?

Cheers.

anothertemper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The garbled black and white is usually a sign that it's outputting a component signal over composite cables. Use component cables for your plasma. If your plasma does not have component input, plug it into your CRT with component cables and reset the signal to 480i. You should then be able to use the composite cables on your plasma.

Last edited by anothertemper,

MeltingFeathers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks. Yeah, I can use composite cables on the plasma, that does work, but I heard that component look a lot better.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Maybe it's the cable. Just to clarify, even when using the component cable, 480p is greyed out.

anothertemper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is probably a really dumb suggestion, but I can't think of much else. You're sure you haven't switched the red audio cable and the red video cable, right? If all is good on your end, the port can be damaged or the cables can be bad. I've had really good luck with the Monoprice branded component cables. Do you have access to another Wii that you can test?

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure how this applies to how you could possibly get this wrong while physically handling both sets of cables, but you are definitely conflating component and composite in your terminology.
Component is what you want, composite is yellow, red, white.

MeltingFeathers

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks for all your suggestions everyone.

This is probably a really dumb suggestion, but I can't think of much else. You're sure you haven't switched the red audio cable and the red video cable, right? If all is good on your end, the port can be damaged or the cables can be bad. I've had really good luck with the Monoprice branded component cables. Do you have access to another Wii that you can test?
Nah, I was very careful about that, and tried it many many times. I don't have access to another Wii unfortunately, although I can see that will be the best option for seeing if the problem lies with the console or the cable.

You may be interested in getting a Wii HDMI cable, there are a few out there.

I was thinking of that. I'm assuming they use the component out and then somehow transfer to HDMI.

Not sure how this applies to how you could possibly get this wrong while physically handling both sets of cables, but you are definitely conflating component and composite in your terminology.
Component is what you want, composite is yellow, red, white.
Sorry about that! Yeah I was getting insanely confused typing it... But in real life I know which is which.

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
You can buy a Wii 2hdmi adapter. I mean the real one, not the fake one. The real one has a tiny hole on the logo side.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
If you can use Wii component, why use Wii2hdmi??
Wii2hdmi converts Wii component signal to hdmi and there bound to be conversion losses. It should only be used when your TV don't accept component input.

Reactions: MrCokeacola

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol