4.2 region lock troubles

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by fuzzyponken, Jan 15, 2010.

Jan 15, 2010

4.2 region lock troubles by fuzzyponken at 1:13 AM (752 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. fuzzyponken
    OP

Newcomer fuzzyponken Member

Sweden
    I have a PAL Wii modded with WiiKey2 that I bought specifically for playing NTSC games on since I know PAL region often gets fucked over by not including 60hz modes or 480p. You could argue I should have bought an american Wii for that purpose but alas, here we are.
    Everything was fine until 4.2 when all of my NTSC games suddenly stopped working. I had no idea the update was going to mess with that stuff, and I needed to update to be able to access the shop channel and whatnot.

I have no interest in softmodding, homebrewing or whatever it's called. Reading the various tutorials here gives me a right headache, and I don't even own an SD card, much less anything to read them with.

Is there any way to fix this without delving into that stuff? I don't want to install homebrew channels and start my games through weird launchers. Just pop the disc in and launch the game through the disc channel without any hassle like before. Is this at all possible?

2. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You'll need to get an SD and reader at the very least, then install HBC and hack the thing at least to the point where you can install preloader or startpatch to disable the region protection that comes with 4.2. Games will still run through the disc channel fine. You could also region change it into an NTSC console.

For your issue it's either hack it or sell it and buy an NTSC unit.

Also note that once you do it, you can't update it officially anymore without breaking the region hack. If you do update it, you'll have to wait for a new hack to be developed for the new menu version.

3. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    nevermind, this guy said it^

4. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    edit: post is worthless since it ref'd the post giantpune removed.

5. fuzzyponken
    OP

Newcomer fuzzyponken Member

Sweden
    Thanks for the answer. I guess I'll give it a shot. I've been reading up on this for the past few hours and I feel a bit more confident I won't destroy anything.