OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi all

a mate wanted his wii hacked and knew i'd done a few so asked me
this is the first i've done since 4.2 was released system was at 3.4e

bannerbombed and installed bootmii as boot 2 and backed up nand and installed HBC

i gathered wanins 4.0/4.1 updater was causing some bricks due to updating some ios's to overly new stubb versions
couldn't seem to find a simple/safe method of getting to 4.0/4.1 that would work - tried a couple but none would run to finish

so decided to go for 4.2 official update to virginize and start from there
the update got halfway through and totally froze so i pulled the power cable

when i booted back up the menu says it's at 4.2e but hasn't removed the hombrew channel
so i assume some parts are at 4.2 and others not
cannot get bannerbomb to run again wii just freezes as soon as i get to sd channel page

now i can leave it alone as it's currently doing everything needs at the moment
should i leave well alone and hope that the next update 4.3 or whatever will fix it when the time comes

also i don't want to go through this again when i come to mod another wii

any advice would be gratefully received

cheers

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
and make sure your wii has a good solid connection. get it as close to your router as possible (assuming youre using wifi), and make sure you turn all downloads off etc.

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you used the newest hackmii installer it is normal that HBC would still be there.
The new hackmii changed the name of HBC. 4.2 looks for the old name and deletes it if it is found.

Bannerbomb is disabled on 4.2 if you updated through Ninty. Hence that is why you crash if you try to use BannerBomb again.

So basically everything is updated and working as it should.

professa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for the replies

there seems to be a little confliction there

does bannerbomb v2 not work on 4.2 then?

the router is under a meter away from the wii and never caused problems on any updates before

the first hackmii installer i ran was v0.4 so shouldn't that homebrew channel have been deleted by the 4.2 update?
i had no intention of going up to 4.2 when i started but couldn't find a simple/safe way of going to 4.0/4.1
so i tried zectors v4.2 Safe Firmware Updater but it froze halfway through
that's when i decided to go with official update which also crashed out with an error message "update could not be completed"

if bannerbomb v2 cannot work on 4.2 then i guess i have no problem - but my understanding was that it would

what i'm annoyed with myself for not checking is whether boot 2 got overwritten in the iffy update
if so can i install latest bootmii through homebrew channel instead of bannerbomb/hackmii?

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm. You still have the HBC?? You don't need to run bannerbomb anymore, that's just to install the HBC.

HBC >=v1.0.5 will not get deleted cause the title ID was changed and 4.2 only looks for the HAXX title ID.

If you want to install Bootmii, just run it through the HBC seeing as you still have it. Put it in the apps folder and rename it to boot.elf.

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
professa said:
so which version of HBC is in the hackmii 0.4 installer?
Sorry. I'm getting really confused...

That should be 1.0.4, which still has the title ID of HAXX. 1.0.5 and 1.0.6 was changed to JODI to work wround the deletion. If you are on 4.2, I'm surprised you still have the HBC. Press home when in the HBC to double check your version.

If you want to install Bootmii again, just get the latest from here: http://bootmii.org/download/ and run it in the HBC.

professa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah i'm confused myself
i don't have the wii now so can't check hbc version
but i do know it was installed from the hackmii installer v0.4
which i imagine installed a hbc to old to survive update to system 4.2
or does every version of hackmii installer just download latest hbc through the wii itself and install that

i don't really need to fix anything at the moment, just trying to understand what happened

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
professa said:
yeah i'm confused myself
i don't have the wii now so can't check hbc version
but i do know it was installed from the hackmii installer v0.4
which i imagine installed a hbc to old to survive update to system 4.2
or does every version of hackmii installer just download latest hbc through the wii itself and install that

i don't really need to fix anything at the moment, just trying to understand what happened
No. HBC

Dmon84

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just try PimpMyWii 1.3. It has an option to check and fix the IOSs. So if you have a problem you should see it there.
And the Bannerbomb for 4.2 works different. So just read the readme and it should work again. But you really don't need it anymore, if HBC is installed.
If your system is running i suggest that everything worked for you.
Is Bootmii still there ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-