Hacking 3in1 exp + R4 - My GBA save woes.

2dere

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Okay due to my lack of knowledge and inability to understand what I've read trying to explain to people like me I'll make my plea here and hope you guys can fill me in. I'll try to make it easy for you guys to get your head around.
Using Rudolfs 3in1Expak (it seemed the easiest to use) and a R4 in slot one I wanted to load up the Phantasy Star Collection game to the cart so I could play PS2.
My problem is that although I can play the game I can't save. I'm not sure if the mistake is what I'm doing or its possible the ROM could be at fault ( I doubt it but seeing as I can't ask for a different copy of the ROM I've thought of it. I have tried to buy this game just never found it for sale.)

Now I don't get how the .sav files work with these pieces of software so I'm already off to a bad start. And the only thing that I could work out when it came to differences between loading a game in PSRAM and NOR was, comparing them to my limited computer knowledge PSRAM is a quicker and smaller memory and NOR was slow but in more abundence, kinda like my knowledge of Hard disc memory and ram. Expect somehow its possible to retain some .sav data if its under a certain file size no?

The first game I got running was Riviera on NOR and it worked and saved fine. I didn't manage to keep the save file because my little bro delete my /GBA folder on my SDcard and screwed something up (files have odd characters, can't be deleted and look plain old threatening) Asking how to get rid of that will be another thread in itself...

So now I'm trying to do the same thing I did with Riviera for Phantasy Star collection. Load it up to NOR ram so I can play some good ol' jRPG goodness. I can load the game up find but cannot save. It tells me so with a nice "WRITE ERROR" in the game. The save will be there till I turn off the power.

Do I need to make a .sav file for the game first and have it in the same folder? (I just had the one from playing it on VBA for Riviera and although it didn't read it, atleast I could save.)

Any ideas as to what my problem is? Or how I could go about getting around it? I thank you for getting this far in the post.

kaktus.ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As you can see from this list (link) Phantasy Star Collection uses the save type EEPROM (EEPROM_V120 (64Kbit)), and (as far as I know) every game that isn't using the save type SRAM needs to be patched first.

So, what you need to do is download GBA Tool Advance (link), start it up, load your ROM file, and use the SRAM Patcher.
This will make the game use SRAM instead and allow you to save.

Btw, you can see the save type of the ROM files in the header tab of GBATA.

Good luck!
smile.gif

2dere

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Oh I see. Wow, as simple as that huh. I'll remember that for future games now too. Thanks for the GBA Tool Advance, that think is mighty brilliant. Now to spend the night playing Phantasy Star 2.

EDIT: And thanks for the help in general. I didn't have to wait long to get help at all!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @NinStar, why you hurting your sisters