Hacking 3ds xl shell replacement

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i m thinking of getting a 3ds xl today , but nintendo is retarded and offers the shittiest color choices ever for 3ds xl in north american region so what are my options other than getting a JAP or EU console?
i would really like a white xl so could i just buy the white /pink NA model then buy new case/shell in JAP white or just the lid and battery cover in white ?
how difficult is it to change just the top part of the lid?seems liek it would be really easy

and does anyone know where i can buy a white top lid and bottom battery cover or white replacement case ?
with the absolute shit selection of colors offered in NA i cant believe i am having so much trouble finding other people who have already done this ,2 tone is ugly as hell,you would think alot of people would have already changed the top lid case part out ,some of the special edition models are ok but i dont need a pack in game and most of them are above 4.5 so choices are really limited

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sure doesn't seem "easy" but if you want to try: http://ca.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-3ds/3DS_XL_Shell_Swapping

yeah i dont want to change the whole case ,just the top of the lid where the 2 camer holes are so i can make an all white xl out of a pink/white one but nobody seems to show that piece and how it is connected and how to remove it, all these shell swap supposed tutorials never show them opening the top half

i want to know if it is as simple as removing the little rubber screw hole covers around the top screen taking out the screws and then the top lid just comes off, or if i will have to fuck with the hinge and ribbon cables etc. and if it is a major hassle or just as simple as a few screws like the back battery cover

inuyasha555

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah i dont want to change the whole case ,just the top of the lid where the 2 camer holes are so i can make an all white xl out of a pink/white one but nobody seems to show that piece and how it is connected and how to remove it, all these shell swap supposed tutorials never show them opening the top half

i want to know if it is as simple as removing the little rubber screw hole covers around the top screen taking out the screws and then the top lid just comes off, or if i will have to fuck with the hinge and ribbon cables etc. and if it is a major hassle or just as simple as a few screws like the back battery cover

This might help you out: http://imgur.com/a/csmxf

Reactions: pelago and weatMod

shattacrew

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you remove the actual stick when you're doing a case swap. Not the electrical component inside, the part with the rubber on it. If you buy a new case then you would need to take that part out. I can't find any disassembly showing this. Thanks

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you remove the actual stick when you're doing a case swap. Not the electrical component inside, the part with the rubber on it. If you buy a new case then you would need to take that part out. I can't find any disassembly showing this. Thanks

stick? do you mean the analog?

Reactions: pelago

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just in my own opinion the console itself looks like shit but people buy it for the screens. I'd like to grab a 4.5 for the bigger screen and update my small one to current personally. The small ones look very beautiful for a handheld console..probably the best looking handheld ever made. But the one issue with the small one though is it looks like a rushed product. I mean.... basically the select home and start button set looks like a plastic sticker. At least the XL looks like a finished product (or at least a prototype for something to finish since it is ugly).

inuyasha555

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just in my own opinion the console itself looks like shit but people buy it for the screens. I'd like to grab a 4.5 for the bigger screen and update my small one to current personally. The small ones look very beautiful for a handheld console..probably the best looking handheld ever made. But the one issue with the small one though is it looks like a rushed product. I mean.... basically the select home and start button set looks like a plastic sticker. At least the XL looks like a finished product (or at least a prototype for something to finish since it is ugly).

Other problems with it too. I got a day one 3DS and the top screen is actually crooked due to the 3D. It does seem kind of rushed.

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

yea i agree, i dont really like the choices for 3ds in US either though ,i hate my cosmo black launch 3ds the teal was ugly too, black 3ds shows ever fingerprint ,if i had my choice i would go with a black XL and an ice white 3ds ,but im in NA, and my cosmo black had 4.5 and ambassador so i am keeping it
but the ice white is the best looking

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other problems with it too. I got a day one 3DS and the top screen is actually crooked due to the 3D. It does seem kind of rushed.

I have the launch one in blue and the screen is kinda wobbly on the hinge but everything works fine. The console itself.. well the screens... are quite small for doing anything 3D on imo... which sucks cos the console itself looks so good. :/ I don't really feel like spending the money but I guess if I come across an old 3ds xl I might think about picking it up especially if the price is decent.

And yeah the white one does look better than black but meh what can u do. they're all probably dull in color on the shell and have that same generic looking design as one another... doesn't look anywhere close to as good as a psp or a vita.

shattacrew

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't try taking off the rubber as it looks like its glued but, i want to be sure before i Pull it off that its the only way. I don't want to risk tearing the rubber cover.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes the circle pad pops out and you can replace it without opening up the 3DS.
BUBymsCkTOa3grnF.large.jpg

IKPPuB5DIoRiDx2E.large.jpg

The only known way to reliably get another circle pad is to cannibalize the part from the circle pad addon.

teh_ryn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah yes thankyou good sir, now if i can only find a place to purchase a white top shell replacement i will be all set

And herein lies the problem. If you find a place to purchase a shell replacement of any color, please let me know. I am interested in painting my own, but am having trouble finding XL shells.

1) Last I checked was several months ago, but at the time no third-party shells existed. I am actually in the middle of looking again to see if any are available yet. However, I was pretty unimpressed with the quality of my third-party shell for my DS Lite, so... not super excited about this option anyway.

2) If I get desperate enough I will contact Nintendo and ask if they'll sell me a shell, but I'm not expecting that to work. That conversation would be very awkward, anyway, because I feel like if I told them I am performing console surgery that wouldn't go over well.

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And herein lies the problem. If you find a place to purchase a shell replacement of any color, please let me know. I am interested in painting my own, but am having trouble finding XL shells.

1) Last I checked was several months ago, but at the time no third-party shells existed. I am actually in the middle of looking again to see if any are available yet. However, I was pretty unimpressed with the quality of my third-party shell for my DS Lite, so... not super excited about this option anyway.

2) If I get desperate enough I will contact Nintendo and ask if they'll sell me a shell, but I'm not expecting that to work. That conversation would be very awkward, anyway, because I feel like if I told them I am performing console surgery that wouldn't go over well.

yea me too,i was hoping that there would be some original white tops and battery covers online from white japanese XL consoles that were being sold for parts,but i cant seem to find any yet ,i am surprised they are so hard to find.
if you or anyone else finds a site selling them post it in this thread

teh_ryn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, so, I didn't find replacement shells, BUT I did find a post on reddit where someone custom painted the "lid" part. So if you're up to painting it yourself that might be an option!

Hope this helps:
http://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/1judnj/3ds_xl_top_shell_removal/

If you read through that thread I think he said he just used Krylon paint, with a good primer and top coat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay