3ds xl japanese?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by branbran93, Oct 4, 2013.

1. branbran93
    OP

branbran93 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2013
    United States
    so i am going to be getting the 3ds xl pokemon x bundle but its going to be japanese. so i was wondering if there is anyway to hack it so that i can play american games on it, such as my already owned legend of zelda.

2. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    no unless you buy gateway and play english roms only.

3. Chaldron

Chaldron GBATemp's Official Attorney

Mar 29, 2013
    United States
    `Murica
    Nope. And the X bundle should be above 4.5, so you can't use Gateway.

I see you're new, so I'll break it down.

The 3DS is region-locked. There is no way to play other region games on your 3DS. For example, japanese Pokemon X will not work on American 3DS.

However, if your 3DS is version 4.1 through 4.5, you can buy an $80 Gateway 3DS that plays roms. It supports almost all ROMs (including zelda) and it bypasses region lock though. This does not unlock the 3DS! It only allows your ROMS to be played on any 3DS.

The problem is, 4.5 is no longer the latest update. It has been patched in anything after that. Because this bundle is new, it will most likely be updated already. Therefore, you will probably not be able to use the Gateway on it.

4. branbran93
    OP

branbran93 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2013
    United States
    ahhhh pooop. well thats really unfortunate. i guess im going to have to learn japanese then.
    thanks for all your help guys ^.^