3DS XL Bottom Screen FPC Connector Socket

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Viri, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Viri
    OP

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Hokay, a little story. So my nephew had a 3DS XL, being that he's like 5, he wasn't exactly the most gentle, and spilled juice in it. My sister gave me it, assumed it was broken, and yeah.

So I cleaned the 3DS XL, I swapped the broken 3DS XL and my working 3DS XL's motherboards, and while swapping it, I broke off the clip that holds down the bottom screen cable(yeah yeah) on the broken 3DS XL. I tested everything, and everything works on the broken 3DS XL except the bottom screen. I tried to put the clip back on, but it's like near impossible, I think I bent some of the pins too. *sigh*

So yeah, does anyone have any idea on what I should do? Everything works on the motherboard, except the bottom screen. Does anyone know where I can buy a new FPC Connector Socket? I tried eBay, but no luck. Here is a picture.

http://i.imgur.com/BRnysYX.jpg

I'm not even sure if my soldering iron is small enough to fix that. Also, I hope this is the correct section.

2. rip-it-up

rip-it-up GBAtemp Regular

Oct 19, 2009
    manchester
    Ive have replaced these in the past,but ive had to pull it off a another broken motherbard. soldering isnt that easy but can be done with good lighting.

3. mattycfp

mattycfp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2015
    United States
    25.0000° N, 71.0000° W
    I'd recommend looking for someone that does 3DS modding involving screens to give you their two cents.

4. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    You don't actually need to replace the clip. You can just insert the ffc normally and then fold some paper and insert it underneath the cable (there's a bit of room for it in the case), to keep it pressed against the connector's contacts.
    It doesn't need any really strong pressure. Just find the right amount to keep it secure in place.