Hardware 3ds xl (1st gen) power problem

Brummy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all first post, hoping someone can help.
Brought a broken 3ds xl which won't turn on, orange light comes on when plug a charger in but nothing when trying to power up (no blue light either)
Hinge does not click into place and unit folds out flat when opened. (Tried lifting slightly and powering up but still nothing)
Tested with multimeter and battery reads 4.15 volts and both fuses (f1 & f2) have continuity.
Any ideas ?
Thanks in advance :)

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The disadvantage of being an old 3ds xl is the inability to simply replace a daughterboard to see if that solves the power issue. Old 3ds xl has one board, so not an easy fix.

I would begin with fixing the hinge first. Is the housing intact? Make sure none of the upper part ribbon cables are damaged too.

Brummy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply pluupy, housing is all fine and ribbon cables seem to all be in shape. I read somewhere that as the hinge is broken, the unit may think it's still closed but couldn't find anything to backup this as I can't find any info about where that switch or sensor would be.
Thanks again

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah you mean if it thinks it's in sleep mode. For that, you want to closely hover a magnet around the B button of the 3DS. Maybe try that while tapping or holding the power button.

Brummy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply pluupy I will try that tomorrow as I'm away today :)

B4rtj4h yes I have reseated all cables correctly, I'm just hoping the board isn't fried. Thanks for your input

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ughhhh so hard to find, "Marmalade Boy" lol my girlfriend wants this weird movie.... I wonder if...