Homebrew 3ds wont boot after downgrading

leopony1458

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi, i have an old 3ds (eur) that wont boot after downgrade beauuse i do not do a nand backup...
i can acces hourglass godmode and decrypt9wip but wen i eject the sd card the blue led flashing 2 times and become black.
i try safemode but it say safe mode is not supported on firmware 1.x 2.x.

can we help me please ?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you can still boot into the payloads, try preforming a CTRNAND transfer back for 9.2
https://3ds.guide/troubleshooting/
For future reference, I suggest always making and storing a NAND backup. Those NAND backups are super important to get you out of any issues.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK you can fix. Since you can use decrypt 9 you can use a 9.2 ctrnand transfer to update to 9.x. as long as the process doesn't remove a9lh you should then be able to update to the latest firmware using Luma 3ds cfw

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I had a similar issue, Followed a guide to hack a 3DS, it where supposed to have made a NAND backup before downgrading but only the .sha was made.
So I was on 2.1.0 and thought that I had a NAND backup and I went and installed arm9loaderhax. After this I was unable to boot into the system menu anymore due to firmware being to low.
As suggested I used a guide to do 9.2.0 CTRTransfer. This didnt help, I still got “Failed to mount CTRNAND” error.

I tried CTRtransfer via Decrypt9WIP as suggested in another thread and made a NAND backup just in case.
I can still boot into Luma menu and my playloads. But I don't get the “Failed to mount CTRNAND” error anymore.
Instead I only get a black screen with my SD card inside. If I remove the SD card and boot the blue LED turn on for a second and then it goes off.

I tried restoring the nand backup that I made but I get validation error.
Is this an unrecoverable brick?

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmmmm it has to be recoverable you have arm9 payload access. You should be able to rewrite any part of the system. Question is why does it fail to boot the system menu. Did you both try clearing the home menu data? It's possible previously created menu data is to blame for the inability to boot it. Copy the arm9loaderhax.bin file to ctrnand via godmode9 and see if it boots without SD card. (The more recent builds support loading the payload from the ctrnand partition.) If this works it will tell you for sure if it's cached menu data or an issue with the software.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmmmm it has to be recoverable you have arm9 payload access. You should be able to rewrite any part of the system. Question is why does it fail to boot the system menu. Did you both try clearing the home menu data? It's possible previously created menu data is to blame for the inability to boot it. Copy the arm9loaderhax.bin file to ctrnand via godmode9 and see if it boots without SD card. (The more recent builds support loading the payload from the ctrnand partition.) If this works it will tell you for sure if it's cached menu data or an issue with the software.

I tried copying the arm9loaderhax.bin to the ctrnand partition and booting without the SD card. First I got to the Luma settings and then I get the blackscreen with the LED on permanently.
Tried without a gamecart too and it didnt help.

Last edited by DaniPoo,

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you tried enabling Dev settings I bet you bricked Luma. I've done so a few times. (Never found out why) but it's fixable. You simply clear the file that keeps the settings and reset luma. Then enable only settings recommended on the guide.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can you open the menu now by holding select at boot?

Last edited by mikey420,

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
If you tried enabling Dev settings I bet you bricked Luma. I've done so a few times. (Never found out why) but it's fixable. You simply clear the file that keeps the settings and reset luma. Then enable only settings recommended on the guide.

Can you open the menu now by holding select at boot?

Yes I can still open the luma menu. I just tried the "Enable exception handlers" and it gives me an error message

"An exception occureed
Processor: ARM9
Exception Type: prefetch abort (svcBreak)"

I also cleared the suggested folders inside of the Nintendo 3DS folder

Last edited by DaniPoo,

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
how do i copy to ctrnand, i have not the option

You have to use godmode9

Isn't there any stuff I could remove or modify on the CTRNAND so that the 3DS think it's brand new and allow me to set it up from scratch?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou