3DS "will feature more robust anti-piracy features"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

miketh2005

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although it was a given Ninty had to update their anti-piracy, we are now given confirmation from President Satoru Iwata himself.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/05/07/...do_7585210.html

Nintendo's president said Friday that anti-piracy measures will be beefed up in its planned handheld game device with 3-D technology in a move to guard against software theft.
The problem of piracy is serious, especially in Asia and Europe, and contributed to the recent drop in game software sales in Europe, Iwata said at a Tokyo hotel.

But he declined to go into details on the planned measures, saying such comments will merely give "hints" to the culprits.

Iwata was also concerned people were becoming more tolerant of piracy.
"We fear a kind of thinking is become widespread that paying for software is meaningless," he said. "We have a strong sense of crisis about this problem."

Read more here.

D

Deleted-171178

If it features a SD slot, I can almost guarantee it will be beat.
Also, Dragonforce > Tokyo Hotel

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
The way I look at this is.....

The DSi functions haven't been cracked yet... (the SD slot, camera(s) and 'DSWare downloads' front page access) - which means that the DSi features are still 'secure' from Pirating/Hacking/Copying

I'm guessing the 3DS hardware is gonna replace the 'DSi' side of things (while still keeping the DSPhat/lite compatibility) & have the same (or similar) type of protection as the DSi functions and DSWare games.

After all - DSWare games have so far not been copied because of a 'security keycode' built into the Dsi. & I guess the Ninty may try & do the same thing with 3DS games

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think DSi mode could be cracked, if more people really had a vested interest in doing so. However, I don't believe there are really that many people who care; on both the hacker and consumer side of things. For one thing, there are how many truly DSi-exclusive cartridges? 2? Are a ton of people really going to spend the time and money necessary to crack DSi mode for two games? DSi-enhanced titles are playable on the current line of DSi flashcarts, and for most of them being limited to DS mode isn't really that much of drawback... they were still designed to be fully playing on DS Phats/Lites, after all.

Yeah, there's a lot of DSi Ware... but you can already carry around multiple DSi Ware titles on a single DSi. For many, that's one of the primary reasons they own a flashcart... with one, you don't have to carry around a ton of cartridges. Since it's already a non-issue for DSi Ware, there's really not that much to be gained from making DSi Ware playing from a flashcart other than promoting piracy. The current DSi carts already remove the need to carry around cartridges, and that's what people really want.

The only real advantage there might be to cracking DSi mode is the potential for better homebrew... but at this late stage in the DS lifecycle, I guess that just wasn't enough of a reason for anyone to really go through the effort. The 3DS will be out soon, and once it is their efforts will be much better spent trying to crack that. Heck, if they can crack DSi-mode on the 3DS, maybe that would allow them to figure out a crack retroactively for actual DSi's. With the 3DS, though, there'll be much more motivation to crack it... being a new hardware generation, as opposed to a redesign, cracking it will be a necessity for actually play any of the new 3DS games without having to carry a ton of stuff around with you all the time.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least the 3D effect can be turned off, that would at least make it playable for me.

All I know is I won't bother with a 3DS until there is some kind of flashcart or hack for it to let me play backups. And I don't just mean half-assed support like the DSi has, but full support like the DSlite/phat has. Until then, the system can go pound salt.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
miketh2005 said:
Iwata was also concerned people were becoming more tolerant of piracy.
"We fear a kind of thinking is become widespread that paying for software is meaningless," he said. "We have a strong sense of crisis about this problem."
Almost everyone I one with a DS uses a flashcard. Even the little kids who get it from their parents. YES IN HOLLAND PARENTS PIRATE DS GAMES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol