3DS - What to Expect When You're Expecting

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Hadrian, Jun 8, 2010.

Jun 8, 2010
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Here is an interesting article.

http://www.monroeworld.com/forums/content....S&nocache=1

2. Sonicslasher

Member Sonicslasher In Law we trust.

United States
    • I'm almost positive that Nintendo will not be dropping DSiware. Anything new will be separate and not a replacement for it.
    • Who would want/need HDMI out for the 3DS? :\
    • Hmm, don't think so. More products use SD than microSD. And Nintendo isn't one to change up something like that.
    The whole "widescreen on top and 4:3 on the bottom" idea is something that I hope isn't on the final product. Symmetry does a lot for a product's aesthetics.

3. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Mario Kart DST anyone? [​IMG]

nice speculation...

4. Sonicslasher

United States
    I'm really diggin the idea of a new Mario Kart handheld game. That with a combination of 3G connectivity would be pure and utter sex. Hell, I'd pay for a membership if they did something like that. [​IMG]

5. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom

• Didn't say they will drop the service, they just don't think it would be on 3DS.

Need something to keep the DSi sales going.

6. Sonicslasher

United States

• While it may be possible that DSiware will be DSi exclusive, I'd be hard pressed to think that Nintendo would put front and rear facing cameras on the 3DS without a gaming purpose. DSiware is known mainly for it's camera games (or at least that's what I think of when I hear it).

7. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom

• Front for head tracking, back for taking pictures. They did say that "some" DSi titles will be compatible when they announced it.

8. regnad

Member regnad Button Masher

Japan
    What I'm expecting is that this will be tough as nails to hack.

Look at all the success with the DSi. That was the test run. Nintendo has a good idea what to do now.

9. Sonicslasher

United States
    The DSi didn't really have a need to be hacked. Well, nothing really "needs" to be hacked, but there wasn't a terribly great amount of motivation to do it. That and it didn't nearly have as many people trying as did the GBA or NDS.

My prediction? 3-5 months from launch until a commercial 3DS rom is able to run on it.

10. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    Most of those "based on what I know about Nintendo's history and the blurbs of information" are pretty much the opposite of what Nintendo's history would point toward.

The no dsiware on 3ds he says simply means you can't transfer your dsiware games over to the new console. A terrible problem Nintendo has had since it started selling games via the internet.

11. Terenigma

Member Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

United Kingdom
    I saw the OP screenshot before and am i the only one tho thinks that it looks terrible and thinks that it would feel horrible trying to play the old DS games on it?

I myself am expecting it to be very ipod like sorta like this:

[​IMG]

12. regnad

Member regnad Button Masher

Japan
    I've read that excuse so many times -- basically, to paraphrase, the DSi hasn't been hacked because, meh, nobody felt like doing it. If they wanted to, they could do it, they're just too busy/don't feel like it/don't find it challenging enough/have to get the laundry and dishes done first, and if there's time, maybe.

Does anyone really believe this? REALLY?

13. JinTrigger

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    Imma go ahead and save my money up for this. This might be the handheld I was looking for from Nintendo. So excited.

14. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Yes.

Basically, there is no real pressure to hack the DSi. Once they got DS and GBA games running, most users (and hackers) felt they've done enough.

The way most consoles are cracked is to have a huge, massive flood of people using, watching, hacking, poking, prodding, dismantling, electrocuting and comparing notes. The fewer people doing it, the longer it takes. Once they got games and regular DS homebrew, once the flood abated, there's only a (relatively) few people left going at it, at their own pace. It takes a lot of man-hours to crack a console. Less people = more hours. The DSi will get cracked... in a few years.

Also, the best hackers are working for flashcart companies. Once their cart can run games, there's no incentive to do anything else. The "crack" you're after requires custom firmware, and would be used to run software from an SD card or internal memory. There's no interest in it for flashcart makers, and that effectively removes a lot of good hackers from the scene. Only if enough DSi-exclusives comes out on cartriges will flashcart people get back into cracking it.

15. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    OP's is way better compared to that. That looks shite and makes it seem impossible to play when closed, just no.

16. KuRensan

Member KuRensan aka Pearbook

Netherlands
    I don't think It'll have 1 screen (up to down) because
    it won't be a 3 Dual Screen
    but if it's a 3D Screen than it would be cool =3

I think the 3ds will have 2 screen and in 3D you will be able to see 1 screen
    (I'll try to make a picture)

Warning: Spoilers inside!

17. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    I see DS games not playing as well but then I'd only play DS games on my Phat just like I prefer to play GBA on GBA.