3DS vs XL Screen Comparison

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Pleng, Jul 27, 2012.

Jul 27, 2012

3DS vs XL Screen Comparison by Pleng at 5:44 PM (2,310 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. Pleng
    OP

Member Pleng GBAtemp Maniac

Thailand
    Seldom, if at all mentioned on this forum, or anywhere else on the internet, is the fact that the 3DS XL screens have less reflectivity. I gathered it wasn't getting much attention as it probably wasn't going to be that noticeable, but the video below shows a comparison and, while the difference is probably slightly exaggerated by the camera, it does seem to be quite an impressive difference.

2. bradzx

Member bradzx x-Darkie-x

United States
    I pick regular size. XL only who have eye reading problem.

3. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    Eye reading? I usualy read text not eyes /jk

Anyway everything is nice when bigger (almost)

It's more relaxing for the eye, the 3D works better and won't strain your eye's as much (I know some people don't feel any strain, me included. But your eyes are still getting strained by the 3D on the small screen)

EDIT: Also nice on the anti glare/reflection. Even if I'm sitting inside and playing I can often see my whole face when playing during the days on the regular 3DS.

4. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The screen glare, among MANY things, makes the XL much much better than the original. I can't wait to play VVVVVV with a functional d-pad. Also the BETTER 3D sounds fantastic from previews. I would THINK the speakers are louder as well (I honestly believe some 3DS systems have louder max volume than others, because of conflicting reports and my own experience playing a kiosk model that was much louder than mine.)

5. BlackAngel5

Member BlackAngel5 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    UGGGGGHHH seriously?! and just when I bought my 3DS too >.

6. Ykr1113

Member Ykr1113 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm selling my xl to get this or maybe not, I want to keep it :(. I never got a DSi when it came out, I waited and then the XL came along, Def getting this cause I didn't get a 3DS.

7. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Has anyone seen what the XL does with original DS games? Do they take up the entire screen like the DSi XL or is it still crap?

1 person likes this.
  8. demonicstrife

Member demonicstrife *INSERTGENERICTITLE*

United States
    I might get it for the screen scratching fix alone. And I don't have a Circle Pad Pro anyway, so I won't really be affected by the lack of a second stick.

9. ThatGuy25

Newcomer ThatGuy25 Flutternaut Recon.

United States
    Haha... little Mario lost a life.

Back on Topic, I don't know if I would trade my 3DS for the XL version.

EDIT: And why doesn't the stylus of XL compress its size like the normal 3DS? Nintendo should have kept that.

10. Daemauroa

Member Daemauroa GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    why is the lack of an extra circle pad a problem? it's just a matter of patience before they release one. they were only not available at the launch. just wait a month and some 3rd party may already launched one.

11. Izzy011

Member Izzy011 The Business Bitch

United States
    If Gamestop has a deal to let me trade in my 3DS while being able to system transfer, I might get this.
    Does anybody have a picture of the DS 1:1 mode thing

12. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    I find myself playing more with the stylus than with the games sometimes.

A... third party... 3DS?

Do you know how long it took for them to make third party GBA's?

Will certainly take much more than a month for that to happen with the 3DS.

13. Jan1tor

Member Jan1tor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I asked the guy at my local Gamestop what they would give if I traded in my DSI XL for the 3DS XL and he said they'd give me $35 bucks. I laughed at him and said for that little I'd keep it and just pay the extra for an extra unit. I like it, I'm going to get one, and I don't care what any one person thinks about it. Oh don't forget it has twice the SD card memory too though that doesn't matter to me either since I'll be using a 16GB card anyways. I've expected the XL since the 3ds first came out so it is really no suprise anyways.

14. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    I'm sure he was talking about a 3rd party CPP like the one that's being released for the 3DS now.

On topic, I've never had any interested in large handhelds, I like them being portable and carry them on my pocket, same goes for phones, I always pick phones that are average sizes, not phones bigger than my hand. Also, I like the shiny screen that the 3DS has, since I'm so concentrated when I'm playing a game I don't notice any reflection but I guess that would depend.

15. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    This is a massive misconception.

The XL screens are actually amazing in providing a better view for the games. It makes games feel more fresh and alive. It has got nothing to do with the elderly/eye.

16. Pleng
    OP

Member Pleng GBAtemp Maniac

Thailand
    They don't take up the entire screen, as the top screen is a different aspect ratio. You can have the games stretched to fill most of the screens (while maintaining aspect ration), or you can have a 1:1 replication of the real DS screen, which obviously is a lot smaller, though still bigger than on a normal 3DS, IIRC

17. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Does it at least fill up the bottom screen and then match the top to it? That would be nice >:3

18. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    Yes it does that. Saw it on YouTube.

19. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    What's all this "reflective screen" stuff people are talking about with the original 3DS, lately? If you mean the glare, it's horrible in sunlight (though playing with brightness to the max and power-save mode off seems to help, at least for me). Nice to hear the XL does it better.

20. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    How do I put it...

I can clearly see my reflection on the 3DS screen. What happens if my face is actually some sort of light source?
    I think it is something like that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Based on many video reviews, you can hardly see your reflection.

And for those who keep complaining about lack of charger, stop whining. Third parties are super cheap.