• Likes 2

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Question - If I turn a game into a cia and install it to my 3DS. Then I play for a while, and keep my 00000001.sav files backed up. Then for some reason or another my emunand goes to hell or maybe some good CFW comes out and I loose my data on the card.

Can I remake my cia file from the 3ds, install it, then put the 00000001.sav file back where it came from and have it work or is it locked to the nand?

P.S. Would remaking the cia somehow change the place the game is installed to and thereby ruin the backup?

quantumboy

Casual Hacker, Avid Dreamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question - If I turn a game into a cia and install it to my 3DS. Then I play for a while, and keep my 00000001.sav files backed up. Then for some reason or another my emunand goes to hell or maybe some good CFW comes out and I loose my data on the card.

Can I remake my cia file from the 3ds, install it, then put the 00000001.sav file back where it came from and have it work or is it locked to the nand?

P.S. Would remaking the cia somehow change the place the game is installed to and thereby ruin the backup?

yes but I think not with .sav files you would simply use save datafiler to make backups of your saves, they then can be pushed to other systems. However I have personally seen this not work in Pokemon for whatever reason some times. I have had multiple save backups from cia versions and then reformatted sd and re-installed the cias, the saves would import but pokemon would say the save is not compatible with this version.

jao

Trophies
XP
Country
Q: Is it possible to convert Gateway saves (*.sav) from 3ds into "cia" saves ?
How to do it?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darn, I was just wondering that since I downloaded a handful of .cia games off the only trustworthy website I know.
If they have .cia they should have 3ds/3dz as well. There are several good sites, some you just need to register for to see the good stuff.

What's the problem with using the cia files, all the work is done, eazzy peezy.

If it is the size of the SD card Amazon should still have the 32 GB Sandisk for $13

Shad0wninja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can you go online with .cia games safely? Can you download dlc for the game for free with either .3ds or .cia and how?

What size sd card would you recommend me to get for the 3DS if I decide to mainly use .cia file types?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you go online with .cia games safely? Can you download dlc for the game for free with either .3ds or .cia and how?

What size sd card would you recommend me to get for the 3DS if I decide to mainly use .cia file types?
1. No reports of bans yet. Not sure I would use the term "safe". The Big N has eyes everywhere. :)
2. I have not done it but I hear you can. Possibly even from the eshop, there is a thread on something about that. "Crazy" something or other. Also look to your source of roms for dlc files.
3. .5-2GB rom size a few as big as 4GB. How many games do you want to have available? 32GB popular size. Nice price point. 64-128 if you want to go all Jack Sparrow.

polki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there actually a 32gb internal storage cap for the 3DS as Orcastraw stated?

I don't know about the original 3DS but you can use a 128gb microSD on a New3DS if you format it properly BUT formatting on the New3DS doesn't work, you have to use a partition manager, you need to choose: fat32, Primary partition, 32kb cluster size and specify a drive letter.

Shad0wninja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. No reports of bans yet. Not sure I would use the term "safe". The Big N has eyes everywhere. :)
2. I have not done it but I hear you can. Possibly even from the eshop, there is a thread on something about that. "Crazy" something or other. Also look to your source of roms for dlc files.
3. .5-2GB rom size a few as big as 4GB. How many games do you want to have available? 32GB popular size. Nice price point. 64-128 if you want to go all Jack Sparrow.
Thanks a lot! Can't wait till Gateway releases the 9.x compatibility and finally experience Gateway :)

Reactions: Margen67

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also keep in mind .cia games are limited by the SD card's size, the 3DS limits SD cards to 32 gigs, a gateway can hold much more games due to that limit not being present.
My 3DS has a 64 GB SD card. Are you telling me that if I install more than 32 GB, even though there is room on the card, some games won't work?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 3DS has a 64 GB SD card. Are you telling me that if I install more than 32 GB, even though there is room on the card, some games won't work?
Many here report it works just fine. You just can't use windoz to format it. I think it still needs to be fat32. Panasonic SD formatter is your friend, there are others.

The big N support site says something about a 32GB limit. User experience shows otherwise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-