3DS Touch-torture?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Autz, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Autz
    OP

Autz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 18, 2016
    Venezuela
    I remember the DS era when developers feel the need to use the touch-screen for almost anything: Navigating through menus, dragging, walking, shooting and more. That eventually lead to the DS's touch-screen to have several scratches, making the screen protectors more valuable. And more if you had a lot of games or a flashcart.

Right now i'm struggling to find that kind of games but for 3DS, and the only one that i've played that left some scratches on my touch-screen is Severed. Other than that, the CirclePad is what's suffering the most.

Have you encountered any Touch-torture game on 3DS?

2. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Um I play a lot of Picross and can see a faint grid pattern left behind on my screen protector, does that count?

3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Oh man. The DS had some touch screen killer games, but none were as bad as Elite Beat Agents and Pokemon Ranger. The hyperspeed circle drawing absolutely murders screens.

Autz and Subtle Demise like this.
  4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I hope they use better digitizers in the future, so we don't need to press down so hard. I used the touch controls in battle for pokemon gen 5, and loved it, but it eventually left "dots" of where I constantly tapped.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  5. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    I hate that type of controls, tbh.

The only touch control-based game i've ever played (and liked) is TWEWY (The World Ends With You), Resistive touch screens, even though they are more accurate, they feel outdated as hell.
    I figure myself using my finger on games that need it (like KH Dream Drop Distance to pet your nintendogs, pokémons dream spirits), and i avoid games like cooking mama/elite beat agents like hell.

Also, i'm left handed, and i find myself pretty uncomfortable with almost every way of controlling the 3DS with the stylus.

So yeah, i really like that with the new trend being the 3D on the 3DS, touch screen based stuff is not as important. Devs seem to focus way more on delivering pleasant 3D than making stuff other than menus work on the touchscreen. Whereas on the DS it was a gamble whether you'd use the upper or lower screen as the main one.

Last edited by Alex658, Oct 15, 2016
    Seriel and Subtle Demise like this.
  6. AyanamiRei

AyanamiRei GBAtemp Fan

Sep 24, 2015
    France
    I only use the touch screen when it is really needed or to naviga on the internet and this is sadly enough to mark the protectors with dots (and my protectors in a year of time only appear now full of lines under a light, despite the fact I never pressed the stylus on the screen)

7. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Another vote for Picross. I have e through e6 and the pattern on my old N3DS XL's screen protector was pretty well defined, though I can buff it out using fingerprint oil. Have no marks on my Hyrule edition yet

hippy dave and AyanamiRei like this.
  8. Autz
    OP

Autz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 18, 2016
    Venezuela
    LOL, i haven't remembered that game.

Pretty much this. But even the 3D feature is pretty wasted, i was expecting things to pop-out, not just look farther away. By far the only games that delivered that where Super Smash, KH3D, SmileBASIC, Kid Icarus and a few more, but most of the game are not like that.

9. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    Oh, i don't like the 3D effect either, i'm more of a "conventional" guy. Touch screen just isn't as reliable and responsive as physical buttons, and the 3D makes me feel dizzy. both on o3ds and o3dsXL. I've yet to try n3ds though.
    tbh the gimmicky stuff is what avoided me from buying a wii.

I usually play with my 3D slider down at all times.

10. Scarlet

Scarlet Rydeen

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    The original Mario & Sonic broke my cousin's screen. The running is shifting the stylus side to side as quickly as possible, a rather easy way to wreck a screen.

Edit: Just noticed you said 3DS games lol. You won't really find as many for what now seems fairly obvious. It just doesn't work well for most games, and for the games that it does work for, the circle pad and buttons often works better anyway. The DS was a little different in that touch was its primary 'gimmick', and as such, developers wanted to incorporate it as much as possible - even to the extent where they weren't needed. That's not to say there weren't good uses of it though.

As for 3DS titles, Liberation Maiden is the only game that springs to mind, but it's been a while since I've played it so I can't really give you specifics.

Last edited by Scarlet, Oct 15, 2016
    Autz likes this.
  11. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Sneeze/Wrestling in Tomodachi Life...

LiveLatios and Seriel like this.
  12. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    The N3DS 3D is much better. And the small 3D is better than the XL 3D.
    @OP I'm working on such a game, but won't give specifics.

13. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    Zelda phantom hourglass and spirit tracks... the ENTIRE game is played strictly with the touchscreen

14. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Not 3DS games.

15. Zetman

Zetman GBAtemp Regular

Jan 2, 2016
    Italy
    Kid icarus uprising, Layton series

Last edited by Zetman, Oct 16, 2016
  16. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Yokai Watch is pretty touch-screen intensive. Stupid purifying/soultimate tactics. I actually played through Bony Spirits for like three hours with my stylus, and my hand is cramping up like a mofo.

Severed makes me worried about my touch screen, because some later monsters are pretty evil.

chocoboss likes this.
  17. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    yer kidding me right?
    EDIT: oh wait, i misread the title, and your reply
    Sims 3, entirely played with the touchscreen

Last edited by LiveLatios, Oct 16, 2016
  18. AyanamiRei

AyanamiRei GBAtemp Fan

Sep 24, 2015
    France
    I decided to play the mini-games entirely by keys. Some trials are slightly harder than with the stylus but it's still no problem.

astrangeone likes this.
  19. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Pokemon Ranger's probably worst on the touch screen. You draw loops around Pokemon on the touch screen... as fast as you can, for extended periods of time.

20. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Not a 3DS game