3DS Shell Swapping

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Kenneth196, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Kenneth196
    OP

Kenneth196 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2006
    United States
    Texas
    Hello all,

I received the Mario & Luigi Dream Team bundle as a gift recently. It came with a higher firmware than 4.5 (and I stupidly updated it as well). Im interested in changing out the shells on my 3DS and another one that is on 4.1-4.5 (I'd have to find one).

I found this guide on IGN -

http://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-3ds/3DS_XL_Shell_Swapping

Has anyone ever done this? Doesn't look too difficult but I'd like some opinions if possible

2. klim28

klim28 Hunter4Life

Jul 24, 2010
    LocLac village...
    Wow cool. I want a limited edition GW XL. I also want to do it but my mind is telling me not to. What if I mess up some cables and screws and left my XL unplayable.

Kenneth196 likes this.
  3. EMegamanu

EMegamanu GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    France
    I did it last week, following the same guide.

This is not difficult for a 3DS XL with the good tools, excepting maybe to reconnect ribbons of the upper screen that are a little bit shorter.

A good advice would be to unfold your 3DS XL when you work on the motherboard.

https://vine.co/u/1105555666891902976

Kenneth196 likes this.
  4. Kenneth196
    OP

Dec 6, 2006
    United States
    Texas
    Thanks! Looks good. I work in an IT dept but I've never been a fan of anything programming related or hardware related (I'm more of a backend Network kind of guy). The IGN article looks a bit intimidating, but I did stumble across http://imgur.com/a/csmxf, which was from a reddit post. I may end up going that route, since I don't really care for what the bottom of the 3DS looks like (who looks at the bottom all the time anyway? :rolleyes:)

5. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States

I want one of those!
    Anyone selling a Charizard 3DS XL for cheap? :P

6. hypertek

hypertek Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2013
    United States
    I done it to my black xl i bought last black friday.. bought a blue xl from another retailer (since i saw it had 4.4 firmware) and swapped the internals, resealed the box and took it back lol

Kenneth196 likes this.
  7. Kenneth196
    OP

Dec 6, 2006
    United States
    Texas
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I currently have a silver Mario & Luigi 3ds xl, 8.1 firmware (I forgot what it came with but a lot higher than 4.5).

I received it as a gift so I would like to keep the shell, but would like to swap the guts of a 4.5 for my silver 3ds xl. For anyone who has done this shell swap, does your internal color stay the same (I.e. if I shell swapped my all silver 3ds xl for a blue & black one, would the inside color still be silver or black?)

8. EMegamanu

EMegamanu GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    France
    Kenneth196 likes this.
  9. Kenneth196
    OP

Dec 6, 2006
    United States
    Texas

Thanks! I guess I should have looked at my own silver 3DS and saw that it had a black interior color lol. Thanks for the prompt reply