3DS screen flickering

chiopas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
Hello,

I've just got this strange screen flickering and I cannot find its cause. If it would be something to do with cables going to the top screen then I could cause it by moving these cables or by opening and closing the screen but it only appears by fully closing the console when it goes to sleep or sometimes when powering on (not every time), sometimes it appears when exiting system settings. I cannot give any links until I'll post at least 5 post so after that I'll post it. In the video I'm showing the problem and in the end it disappears when I press power button, sometimes it disappears when I enter twilight menu and exit it right away, sometimes I need to reboot few times (top screen stays stationary).
Does anyone has any ideas? For mee it seems like a software issue but I can't figure what is it.

Last edited by chiopas,

CoffeeOwl88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only had my screen flicker when I tried enabling splash screen on my Japanese CFW 3DS. So unless you did the same thing, it is probably a hardware issue.

Reactions: falcorr

chiopas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
I've only had my screen flicker when I tried enabling splash screen on my Japanese CFW 3DS. So unless you did the same thing, it is probably a hardware issue.
Hi, it appears it's hardware issue because now top screen stopped showing the picture. But now it's obvious because it comes up in certain position but previously no matter in which position screen was the flickering was appearing randomly.

CoffeeOwl88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, it appears it's hardware issue because now top screen stopped showing the picture. But now it's obvious because it comes up in certain position but previously no matter in which position screen was the flickering was appearing randomly.
Usually, this is due to the screen ribbon not being snug in its clip. Fortunately, taking the 3DS apart is not too complicated until you have to disassemble the top screen. The ribbons all attach to the console's motherboard so you won't need to take apart the top part of the 3DS. Once you take the bottom lid off the bottom part of the 3DS, you will see the ribbon cables right away. Unclip them, and place them back. Clean them off with alcohol first just in case, and then give it a try. It's an easy fix that should only take a few minutes if this is the issue you are having. If this doesn't work then you probably have a bad screen or a damaged ribbon cable.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I disabled my Luma splash screens too because of strange ultra high flicker the images would sometimes display with.

It was actually resulting in burn-in on my main 3DS unit that would sometimes persist for quite a while.

In my case it seems to be software issue, specifically Luma and the dual IPS N3DSXL I prefer to use.

itsperkele

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
same problem here with 64gb SD. i had been searching for the longest time for a fix for the flickering. i didnt realize it was only flickering from burn in from the splash screen. did not notice the issue until i replaced both screens. the new ones ended up being both ips and the old ones were tn, so i was convinced for the longest time that it was an issue with the hwcal00 and 01.dat files

TW9User

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, quick question, did you manage to find a fix for it? Because my Japanese 3DS also has the same issue.

Last edited by TW9User,
Reactions: falcorr

That1LoserGuy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a ribbon cable problem to me, the ribbon cable that runs to the top screen and speakers runs through the hinge, which can eventually cut through the ribbon cables after years of closing and opening the 3ds, however in most of these cases the 3ds shuts off with a loud speaker pop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Veho @AncientBoi's favorite