3DS scratching top screen when closed

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Tonitonichopchop, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 9, 2009
    United States
    Although I'm aware this issue has been discussed in the past, I was wondering if anyone here knows of a good way to prevent the 3DS from scratching/smudging the top screen when closed. I love my original 3DS and don't want to upgrade to the 3DS XL or 2DS, so I'm curious what others here have done about it. Right now my current solution is putting an old credit card in between the two screens when closed which has done a good job so far. It is a bit annoying though, especially if I want to quickly close my 3DS for whatever reason.

2. EyeZ

EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

Dec 4, 2009
    I used the foamy material that separated the screens when i received my 3DS, always replacing after use, worked a treat.

3. Chocolina

Chocolina GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2012
    United States
    Another fine example why people should use screen protectors before they even start playing with their devices.
    Closing the 3DS lid doesn't cause the marks, its the pressing you do while the unit is closed that does the damage.

Like sitting or wearing tight pants with your 3DS for example.
    The marks show on screen protectors too, but they can be rubber/cleaned away and you definitely avoid permanent damage as well.

4. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    This is what I do since I'm not a fan of screen protectors:
    3DS Top screen wear & tear

The screenshot has been horribly compressed since I posted it (thx xenforo), but the bumpers are placed directly to the right and left of the inner camera. They are still holding up to this day.

Sakitoshi and Tonitonichopchop like this.
  5. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 9, 2009
    United States

Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted:)

Snailface likes this.
  6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Use a screen protector and put a piece of microfibre cloth between the two sections - you're going to need a cloth like that anyways for cleaning the bottom screen every now and then. It's, in my opinion, a better solution than sticking disgusting bumpers on the system - I personally love to keep the exterior of consoles untouched. Additionally, a screen protector will secure the top screen from accidental damage.