Hardware 3DS Replacement Shells?

teh_ryn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone used a replacement shell on their 3DS? What shell did you use, where did you buy it from, and how did you like the quality?

I am seeing the same 3 replacement shells wherever I look: an aqua with a gradiented top, red with gradiented top, and a black. So it doesn't seem like there's a lot of different aftermarket manufacturers out there, yet.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone used a replacement shell on their 3DS? What shell did you use, where did you buy it from, and how did you like the quality?

I am seeing the same 3 replacement shells wherever I look: an aqua with a gradiented top, red with gradiented top, and a black. So it doesn't seem like there's a lot of different aftermarket manufacturers out there, yet.
Also I wonder if the 3ds is harder to switch the shell then the 3ds, I changed a ds lite shell to a orange goku one, it was nice.

Kiaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also I wonder if the 3ds is harder to switch the shell then the 3ds, I changed a D's shell to a orange goku one, it was nice.
I'd say it's more annoying. Have you experienced trying to connect the DS lite's top screen ribbon cable to the motherboard before? The 3DS has 3 short-length ribbon cables to connect on both sides of the board instead... Emphasis on the "short". Took me a while and extra caution when connecting them back. Suffice to say, switching the DS lite's housing is easier.

Edit: Also, I'm wondering if there will ever be an ice white replacement shell for the 3DS. That's the only housing I'm waiting for to use on my scratched-up 3DS.

Reactions: Monty Kensicle

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
When I first bought my 3DS XL on launch day I thought it was gonna be customizable. Well it looks like you can change them without opening it.

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was waiting for shells to come out so I can paint my own, then I said screw it I'll get an XL and do it.

I still don't own an XL.

teh_ryn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not looking forward to shell swapping a 3DS. :) But I've acquired a few broken ones and one of them has a cracked hinge. I've shell swapped a DS Lite so I do know the pain of messing with those ribbon cables. When I saw a 3DS disassembly video and saw how many little cables there are to deal with... Well, it'll be a challenge, and in that sense I'm looking forward to it.

But I guess no one has actually used any of the aftermarket 3DS shells yet to know how the quality is?

Edit: Also, I'm wondering if there will ever be an ice white replacement shell for the 3DS. That's the only housing I'm waiting for to use on my scratched-up 3DS.

I actually did find a white one, here: http://www.westingames.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=3742 However, I think you need to have a wholesale license to order from westingames. Not 100% sure on that, but I know you have to submit some info first and get approved before you can order from them. Haven't seen that white shell anywhere else yet...

JuStYn.Leandro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've seen the guide before.. but I just want a shell replacement, not another 3ds system... I don't have the money for that right now...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c