Gaming 3ds region locking. Major annoyance

redsmas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As most people know by now the 3ds will be region locked, I have an issue with this. The issue is that I won't be able to play games from the US or Japan, especially ones that don't get released in Europe. This means I am more likely to use piracy methods to play these games because i can't afford to buy a foreign console as well as my regions console to play these games, what is Nintendo thinking?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I have no idea. Its really the stupidest idea ever. Region Locking on older, TV based consoles made sense. There were varying framerates, colour and quality standards across the globe. EU TVs just couldn't run the same games as US ones. Nowadays that has lessened but that's not the issue here. In portable gaming Region-Locking has NEVER occurred until the DSi. The reason: IT MAKES NO SENSE! The consoles are completely standard, the same tech, same screens etc. in each country. The only difference is the power adapters. Locking out games was just bad business. Besides: Its a portable. If I were to take it to America and want to buy some games, why the hell shouldn't I be able to? Ninty gets the money and all is good.

The only reason Ninty have is money grabbing. In the UK our games seem more expensive than their American counterparts due to the exchange rates (our money is worth more than yours HA!) But, of course, each game costs Nintendo exactly the same amount to manufacture and produce, ok the EU versions maybe require more translation work but still. If Ninty let us run US games on our EU 3DSes then they'd be getting less money than they would if we bought their EU counterparts making their wallets slightly less full.

redsmas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am just hoping that Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, gets localised here cause the original ds one didn't even though it was a brilliant game.
sad.gif

Even if it was about money they are just going to get more piracy from people wanting to play games that don't get localised.

On another subject, the majority of people that commit piracy do so because of the fact they can't afford to buy games, so how in the world to they loose millions, they wouldn't have got those sales in the first place.

Posts merged

Jax said:
The games are only region-locked if the developers decide to do it. I's all up to them.

Its about the fact that not all games get localised and those that don't may be region locked.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Apparently Australian versions of pokemon b/w aren't region locked as it run in both Japanese DSi and AU DSi, can anyone who has these copy comfirm this if possibe.

If this is true then there's hope in the future.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not all games are going to be region-locked. The ones that probably are will (probably) be Nintendo games, and those normally get a world-wide release.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Jax said:
The games are only region-locked if the developers decide to do it. I's all up to them.
yeah, it was also the case with the Wii, and as a result they all decided to lock the game's regions
frown.gif

Being a Nintendo game or not has nothing to do, all devs and publishers locked the region of the Wii games.
Maybe as it's a portable console, they could think people would like to take it while traveling in another country and could buy games there. that's just supposition, we will see what the developers decide.

rashef

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Poland
Slyakin said:
Not all games are going to be region-locked. The ones that probably are will (probably) be Nintendo games, and those normally get a world-wide release.
Of course they do. Boy am I glad that i'm able to play Captain Rainbow, Fatal Frame IV and Zangeki no Riegliev on my PAL Wii due to them getting a world-wide release. Oh... wait...
hate2.gif

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
heartgold said:
Apparently Australian versions of pokemon b/w aren't region locked as it run in both Japanese DSi and AU DSi, can anyone who has these copy comfirm this if possibe.

I wouldn't really say that seeing as how it was for the DS+DSi, not the 3DS, and it being only one game. It kind of means nothing from what I can see....

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Region lock on a handheld system is completely stupid...

As a result I'll have to buy a japanese system (and an euro one before)... and hope that they will not release us only games (and hope that hackers will crack wide open that console, that's all big N deserve for that huge step back they started to take with the DSi).

Vermilion

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
First of all, boudincaca, I love your nickname
wink.gif

I just agree with all of you, region lock is a complete bullshit for Nintendo and certainly will result of use of hacking system to play these imported games. Of course, I'd like to import them and pay them but Ninteno himself is refusing me this right, so what should I do ? Piracy is my (our) only one solution and I feel terribly sorry to say that.

WiKiLEAK

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Vermilion said:
First of all, boudincaca, I love your nickname
wink.gif

I just agree with all of you, region lock is a complete bullshit for Nintendo and certainly will result of use of hacking system to play these imported games. Of course, I'd like to import them and pay them but Ninteno himself is refusing me this right, so what should I do ? Piracy is my (our) only one solution and I feel terribly sorry to say that.
Not exactly.

It has been said that the region-locking on retail games is up to the developers not Nintendo.

What Nintendo is locking is the things related to the e-Shop, DSiware, parenting and the likes (Not sure about the DLC and the Virtual Console), but the cartridges could well be region-free if the developers want it that way.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
redsmas said:
I am just hoping that Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, gets localised here cause the original ds one didn't even though it was a brilliant game.
sad.gif

Even if it was about money they are just going to get more piracy from people wanting to play games that don't get localised.

On another subject, the majority of people that commit piracy do so because of the fact they can't afford to buy games, so how in the world to they loose millions, they wouldn't have got those sales in the first place.

Posts merged

Jax said:

Its about the fact that not all games get localised and those that don't may be region locked.

Yes because Devil Survivor Overclock is not getting localized...

http://www.destructoid.com/atlus-devil-sur...es-195986.phtml

If you're going to pirate at least come up with a semi-coherent argument.

And the 'this game isn't going to be localized' argument is getting kinda tenuous. There are some games that might not, like obscure Japanese anime and such. But that list is getting smaller and smaller. The fact that Atlus is localizing almost all of their games is a minor miracle as it is. Who'd have thought any of the Phoniex Wright games would be localized. Probably the only 'major' title right now that has no localization date is Ni No Kuni. Though some may argue the 1 year delay between Layton games is unbearable.

I will say though that the whole need for region locking games/media is really becoming moot. The whole point before was to avoid people in Europe buying games/media in North America where they were inevitably released first, thus destroying the retail markets in other regions. These days, games and media have practically world wide simultaneous or at least with in a few days releases. There's simply no need to region lock when you've taken out the entire need for it in.

D

Deleted-236924

heartgold said:
Not just the Australian versions, the European and NA versions are too.
But the Australian version is just a re-branded UK version.

nebula91 said:
QUOTE(heartgold @ Mar 19 2011, 09:50 AM) Apparently Australian versions of pokemon b/w aren't region locked as it run in both Japanese DSi and AU DSi, can anyone who has these copy comfirm this if possibe.

I wouldn't really say that seeing as how it was for the DS+DSi, not the 3DS, and it being only one game. It kind of means nothing from what I can see....
So what?
It still goes to show that if the developpers don't want region lock, they can decide not to put it.

(And technically, it's two games.)

Zeroneo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
doyama said:
redsmas said:
sad.gif

Posts merged

Jax said:

That's about the US version, not the European ones. The original Devil Survivor never got here and I'm betting the remake won't either.

I'm really against Region Locking since Europe is always missing on games like this.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zeroneo said:
doyama said:
redsmas said:
sad.gif

Posts merged

Jax said:

That's about the US version, not the European ones. The original Devil Survivor never got here and I'm betting the remake won't either.

I'm really against Region Locking since Europe is always missing on games like this.
Well think about it this way, you guys got Jam with the Band and Inazuma Eleven
hate2.gif

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Pingouin7 said:
nebula91 said:
heartgold said:

So what?
It still goes to show that if the developpers don't want region lock, they can decide not to put it.

(And technically, it's two games.)
So what... What? That information has already been expressed though and doesn't change anything. It doesn't really give any hope and only shows that Game Freak said herp derp let's randomly make our pogeymanz Region-Free.

Oceanborn712

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yea the region lock sucks. That's why I'm buying a US-3DS. It's cheaper than here in Germany anayway. Only thing that bugs me is that I can't get the cheapest games (which usually come from the UK) and can't resell them on eBay that easily, but heck those few € more for a US game aren't that bad (and still a lot cheaper than buying them here) and I really don't plan to buy that many 3DS games that the loss would be backbreaking either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night