Hacking 3DS or 3DS XL and hacking questions

blackjays24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I've been attempting to do some research; however, I'm not very familiar with DS or hacking Nintendo systems so not a lot is resognating. So I want to get a 3DS or 3DS Xl and here are the questions/concerns I have.

Can I hack the system to....
download and play games for the SNES/N64/NES that are available in the market place (like on the WII)
put emulators and run them on the device
download and play 3DS/DS games on the system

I've read about needing a special SD card, I'm also wondering if there is a way to just purchase an SD card and load the firmware on myself?

And my final question would be assuming you can do all these things above, is the 3DS XL actually worth investing in over the 3DS?

Thanks for the help guys, you'd really make my decision on whether or not to get a 3DS easier.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Without a flashcart, there is no way to do anything you just described.

A DS flashcart such as the DSTWO can run emulators and DS games. There isn't an N64 emulator, though.

With a Gateway 3DS flashcart, you can play 3DS games stored on a micro SD card.

If portability is a concern, go for the 3DS. If not, the XL is definitely worth it.

blackjays24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Without a flashcart, there is no way to do anything you just described.

A DS flashcart such as the DSTWO can run emulators and DS games. There isn't an N64 emulator, though.

With a Gateway 3DS flashcart, you can play 3DS games stored on a micro SD card.

If portability is a concern, go for the 3DS. If not, the XL is definitely worth it.

With this card you described, can I play the same games for the N64/SNES/NES that the Wii Store has available? And just to confirm, it allows you to play 3DS games off a micro card as well?

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With this card you described, can I play the same games for the N64/SNES/NES that the Wii Store has available? And just to confirm, it allows you to play 3DS games off a micro card as well?
You'd have to find your own ROMs. None are posted on GBAtemp, so don't ask. There are no flashcarts available that can play N64 games.

And yes, the Gateway works like a normal flashcart in the fact that it runs files from a micro SD.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been attempting to do some research; however, I'm not very familiar with DS or hacking Nintendo systems so not a lot is resognating. So I want to get a 3DS or 3DS Xl and here are the questions/concerns I have.

Can I hack the system to....
download and play games for the SNES/N64/NES that are available in the market place (like on the WII)
put emulators and run them on the device
download and play 3DS/DS games on the system

I've read about needing a special SD card, I'm also wondering if there is a way to just purchase an SD card and load the firmware on myself?

And my final question would be assuming you can do all these things above, is the 3DS XL actually worth investing in over the 3DS?

Thanks for the help guys, you'd really make my decision on whether or not to get a 3DS easier.

(1) No you can't "hack" the system per say, but you can get a flashcard which in essence is exactly what your looking for. Modern day flashcards can play DS Roms and GBA Roms, The DSTwo though takes it a step further with SNES (although not very well) and Multi media such as internet browsing (again average at best) and music playing. There's more information on which flashcard has what features and all the factors to consider when buying one. http://gbatemp.net/threads/which-flash-cart-should-i-get.290097/ THESE FLASHCARDS CANNOT PLAY 3DS ROMS.

(2) If you want to play 3DS Rom's, the only current way to play them is with the gateway 3DS, but your still new so it will over whelm you right now so stick to simple DS flashcarts.

(3) Get the XL. It is superior to the regular one in every way shape and form all the way from screen size to battery life. Also, newest 3DS Accessories are being geared towards the XL Now. Heres a video that tells you why you should get a 3ds xl over a regular one especially since you've never owned the regular one so nothing is holding you back.

blackjays24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I had heard from somebody that the 3DS has access to all the same NES/SNES/N64 games that the Wii does on its virtual console, is that true?

blackjays24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No it isn't true. Whoever told you that is stupid.

I guess that'll probably steer me away. I've really just been looking for a console that will allow me to play n64 games with controlls built in, and if I coulda used 3DS roms that would have been a bonus.

I really don't think anything is out there atm that can handle the futuristic complexity of the Ultra 64.

blackjays24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No it isn't true. Whoever told you that is stupid.

I guess that'll probably steer me away. I've really just been looking for a console that will allow me to play n64 games with controlls built in, and if I coulda used 3DS roms that would have been a bonus.

I really don't think anything is out there atm that can handle the futuristic complexity of the Ultra 64.

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For portable N64 emulation get an android phone and a controller... The Shield will work fine for that if you don't have/want a smartphone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🥓 🍳 🍞 🍽️ 🥛