3DS/Handheld Tethering

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by T3GZdev, Mar 7, 2011.

Mar 7, 2011

3DS/Handheld Tethering by T3GZdev at 5:57 AM (12,791 Views / 0 Likes) 36 replies

1. T3GZdev
    OP

Member T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

United States
    ok we all know what tethering is hopefully.

iphone now has tethering
    android phones have tethering
    idk about windows phones (iv never owned one)

we dont need built in 3G. thatll only cost more battery life. (& we 3ds owners will need as much battery saving as we can do)
    you speed will depend on yoru service, 2g, 3g, 4g
    while ps vita will be stuck at 3g. (not bashing or anything :ninja: )

nintendo was talking about a way to always keep us 3DS connected, & they also did an agreement with at&t for 3DS. (spotpass?)

lol it would be nice if pandora or youtube made a 3DSware
    we have netflix & nintendo video & were getting hulu & messageing.

update:
    for some reason i cant connect 3DS to tethering but i have found this out.
    DSi:
    DSi connects wiith "barnicle wifi tethering" & "wireless tethering for root users" with DNS edit.
    change the DNS to 8.8.8.8. & 8.8.4.4.
    3DS:
    for 3DS doesn't seem to connect, unless those apps have infrastructure. :unsure:

update2: :yaynds: :yaywii: :yayps3: :yaypsp: :grog: :grog: :grog: :grog: :grog:
    i found a solution guys, now i can tether stright from phone to DS, DSi, 3DS, & Wii. (seems universal for every console)
    i posted a tread/tutorial here.
    http://prepaidandroi...thering-how-to/

2. bigpaws

Member bigpaws Cat with da Big Paws!

United States
    sounds good
    except i dont have a smart phone
    thats why providers have those blocks thagt emit a signal
    just have that every where
    that or something like clear wifi

3. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    An interesting idea. Though it might not be needed if Nintendo really does make a worldwide (or countrywide) WiFi access deal with ISPs. Thus there would be basically "free" wifi everywhere [​IMG]

-Qtis

4. Chiverus

Newcomer Chiverus Advanced Member

Canada
    acctually i thought of this about 2 months ago when my friend got the beta for the ios 4.3 and had hot spot capability.
    then it was announced for iphone 4 only so i droped the idea sence i got a 3gs. it would be a great idea and because most providers in my area ether allow teethering or dont and cant tell the diff between the differnt types of data that are being tethered. lol

5. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    WMRouter for Windows Mobile platform (CE-based. Doesn't work on WM7 as far as I know).
    Android has similar apps. So does the iPhone.

Run it. Hotspot created. Done.

An Ad-hoc connection won't cut it. It has to be an infrastructure...

No news here, no news X3 It's pretty sweet though.

6. T3GZdev
    OP

Member T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

United States
    lol im on metro pcs, idk if they even know what tethering is lol.
    its 2g tho :/, they did recently release a 4g android phone on 2.2. i wonder what thats like.

7. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    I use tethering from my N900 often, though never thought to do it with my DS or PSP (maybe as i usually only play those at home where i have wifi anyway).

I used a program called Joikuspot, I had it on my N86 (Symbian S60 iirc) and when I got my N900 and got the Maemo version of it. I believe it has a version for android and a couple of other mobile platforms too.

8. spiritofcat

Member spiritofcat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I have a couple of tethering apps for my Android phone, but both of them use ad-hoc mode, not infrastructure. That's fine for my laptop, but my PSP and DS can't connect to it.

9. Slipurson

Member Slipurson GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Symbian/Maemo Joikuspot also sets up ad-hoc so I can find the Nokia N8 hotspot but i cant perform the internettest with my 3DS, I sorted that out on my tablet with Rooting it (it has android) and opening it up for ad-hoc connection, but the 3DS aint that Easy to mess around with [​IMG]

10. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    you have a pc, does it has wifis?
    http://www.connectify.me

11. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    Anyone knows which app for iPhone can be used for tethering?

12. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    If you are on a high enough iOS (4.3+) you should have the option in your settings, providing your network supports it.

Otherwise you can jailbreak and use MyWi from cydia.

13. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I have an Unlimited Data plan on my Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant) and it can tether.
    My iPod Touch 4G, my netbook, and my 3DS can all connect to it (not tried connecting all 3 at the same time)..

I was able to see online friends on my friends list, and do 1 internet battle in SSF4.

(i miss my n900...[​IMG] )

14. Gullwing

Member Gullwing Synesthete

Greece
    I tries MyWi on my 4.2 ipad and the 3DS can't connect to it...when a 4.3 ver jailbreak comes out, I will try it, because the app says that 4.3 can connect to all devices... I also have a 2.1 Samsung Galaxy 3 but I can't tether, and I don't see Samsung updating it to 2.2

15. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
  16. sonknuck23

Member sonknuck23 Mighty Switch Force >

Canada
    Sucks, I have an iPhone and I can't make it connect to my Wii, DS, or now my 3DS. . .

17. Gullwing

Member Gullwing Synesthete

Greece
    I rooted my Galaxy 3 and installed the Apk, then pressed the tethering button... My 3DS finds the access point, but it can't connect :/

18. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    @Gullwing

I had no issues. Can you tether using your PC? If that doesn't even work, there may be an issue with the settings you're using or the app itself. I'm not sure if this app supports your model of phone. The 3DS doesn't even see the connection at all? By default, when scanning for a hotspot on 3DS, the connection should show up as "AndroidTether".

Also, make sure you're using the specific version of the wifi tether app i posted. The ones on the market don't support infrastructure on some phones, only ad hoc. Ad hoc will of course not work on the 3DS.

EDIT- ok it recognizes it but won't connect. Hm... It sounds like the issue i WAS having with other versions of the software. Your phone may not be supported for infrastructure mode yet, only ad hoc. In your pc, go look at the wifi connections and look at the tethering icons. If you see the android tether connection with some green bars, that's infrastructure. If it's just an icon with some blue computer monitors, it's ad hoc. You NEED infrastructure for the 3DS to tether. Test it on your PC to see if you can connect properly using infrastructure.

19. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Granville: How much does an update take? Assuming you can see how much data is being used.

It'll be good to use my Android has a AP for updates but I only got a 500mb limit.

20. MaGosT

Member MaGosT GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    only bad thing is the latency, this would result in huge inputlag in fast-paced game.