Hacking 3ds hacking for the end users, let us figure this out.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Linux is a wonderful operating system family, if you want you can have conversations that look not unlike the following to the actually quite clued up observer.

One of the bigger criticisms of it is "I don't care, I just want my surround sound system to work" and that is actually quite valid.

I am seeing something similar happen to the 3ds. Now some of this might be good design on Nintendo's part, however I will get Hanlon's razor up in here and just assume it is them being incompetent about modern systems design.

The main two issues I see are

Ability to at least upgrade to an arbitrary firmware version offline. As there is nothing in place to prevent it then downgrades would also want to happen for the homebrew capable.

Ability to apply certain game updates in whatever capacity you so desire.

I look at something like the 360 where upgrading dashboards "offline" is a matter of copying a file to a USB drive (or somewhere it can see) and letting it run. 360 game updates/patches (called title updates aka TUs). There are sites to download them, you can clear them and you can put in whatever ones you want. It is not quite as easy as dashboard updates but well within a 10 step guide, online play does need the latest patches but that is OK too.
The hacker equivalents are not much worse, or in the case of title updates then even easier when you have FTP to the drive.
Now MS themselves provided a lot of that architecture but I see no great reason why something similar can not happen for the 3ds. Naturally you would also want to account for rednand/emunand.

Once more I have no real interest in the 3ds (weak hardware and somewhat undeveloped SDK compared to the competition, no games, poor hacking situation, not much better ROM hacking situation and no promise of anything better) but if someone is looking for a project then you probably could do worse.

Reactions: SLiV3R

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father