3DS Gateway 2.0 with DLCs

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Rinth, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Rinth
    OP

Rinth GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    Recently I acquired a 3DS with 4.4 firmware.

With NAND emulation becoming a reality, I will be able to backup the 4.4 firmware, update to the latest firmware, gain access to e-shop and also play legitimate games alongside dumped ROMs if needed. Is my assumption correct?

My question is, how will DLCs work? I remember reading somewhere that they cannot be dumped. Why is that? The other barrier was that e-shop requires latest firmware. With that out of the way, does it mean that I can buy legit DLCs for a dumped ROM?

How exactly do these DLCs work on a 3DS? Thanks in advance.

2. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    you DO NOT update the 3ds keep it on lower fw so gateway will work

you run the newer fw using gateway

we do not know how it will work just yet

i think it will work like Devhook worked on the PSP
    running the higher FW of the MS

3. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Ryupower I'm pretty sure he meant update the emuNAND. And if this is the case, I'm sure you're aware that's totally safe to do, as that's how it was shown in the feature video by the Gateway team.

Rinth He is right, though. We don't know how the emuNAND will truly work yet, as Gateway hasn't released v2.0 of their firmware. All we can do is speculate. And my guess at how DLC will work: I don't know, either. :(

4. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    Who has said DLC can't be backed up? Mario Kart 7 1.1 DLC is stored on the SD card, so I guess there's a key stored on he NAND that allows the system to use it, I don't see how it couldn't be dumped just like the rest of eShop digital games.

5. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Theoretically, it makes sense. But there haven't been any verified reports. Until there are, my assumption would be as valid as yours.

6. LimeWan

LimeWan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2013
    Canada
    If we manage to run latest firmware using emuNAND, would it be possible for me to play a real game online, or would I need to have the Gateway inside in order to run latest firmware in the first place?

I ask because IGN is making online sound so sick, and is a big part of the game.

Thanks!

7. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    Having the latest firmware has nothing to do with the ability of playing online. In my case, I'm perfectly fine going online on 4.5 with my original cartridge of Mario Kart 7. What you are asking could work if they managed to make retail games usable on GW mode, but for now it's not possible.

8. Rinth
    OP

Rinth GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2013
    New Zealand

I guess time well tell.

Right now there is no 3DS DLC being dumped on the internet, but that's probably due to the fact that Gateway came out fairly recently and only in 2.0 will GW users gain access to eShop.

9. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    You are getting everything wrong... It's not possible to share anything you download through the eShop with people on the internet, this includes DLC and games. When someone back up their NAND it's for their personal use, nothing on it will work in another console.

pelago likes this.
  10. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    I would imagine that the nand emulation's e shop will work just like the original e shop but this is just a guess

11. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Unless there is a way to decrypt stuff or turn protection off.

12. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    That's the reason it won't work, no one had figured it out.

13. Rinth
    OP

Rinth GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2013
    New Zealand

I guess the day those eshop items are unlocked will be the same day 3DS is truly hacked?

Well, as long as eshop works as it should and purchased DLCs work with Gateway ROMs, then the situation is somewhat acceptable.

14. josiascaignard

josiascaignard Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2011
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Somewhere in Chile
    I have a question with emunand, I can emulate any nand that i have a dump? I mean, that gives us the power to share our nands with eshop games with it, or at least the certificates in it so we can download them from the eshop, is that right?

15. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico

n1ghty likes this.
  16. josiascaignard

josiascaignard Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2011
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Somewhere in Chile
    @kygore sorry I didn't know that applys to emunand as well :S