Hardware 3DS Dual touch and pressure sensitive?

sdoc96

Creaky Old Stiff Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I can't find any other news about this, but:
I was mucking around with my 3DS last night in the Activity Log menu and found something interesting.

Go into Daily Records.

On the touch screen in the date scrolling box (green border) rest your left and right thumbs on yesterday and tomorrow respectively.
Gently apply pressure alternatively to each one and you'll see the effect on the 3D screen scrolling left and right in an analogue manner, responding to the pressure you apply to yesterday and today.

This is not a feature I was aware of before, which, I imagine will be used in some way in games later on, perhaps as an alternative to the circle pad, etc.

I for one got pretty excited at this feature. If it's been mentioned before, I apologize for repeating the news, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Enjoy!
yaynds.gif

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I don't know what to say about this, other than that the touchscreen isn't multi-touch. Iwata said it himself.

sdoc96

Creaky Old Stiff Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If you have a 3DS, give it a shot.
The effect I see, to me, is a form of multi touch in pressure sensitivity. To me, as a tech enthusiast, it's interesting to say the least.

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
YayMii said:
I bet all it thinks you're doing is moving the stylus between the two.
Yep, even the DS did this. In pictochat it's most noticeable. The faster you change the pressure the faster the line drew from one finger to the other. Not multitouch, just how the screen works
tongue.gif

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
UniqueGeek said:
Multi-touch? No.
Pressure sensitive? Maybe to some small degree.

Yes, I imagine the 3DS's screen is pressure sensitive, but not multi-touch, if it's anything like the DS line's.

I was surprised to find out that the DS's touch screen is in fact pressure sensitive when I discovered that one notable DS homebrew, Colors!, includes a feature where you can adjust the thickness and transparency of your lines depending on how hard you press the stylus on the screen. It also has a calibration feature to adjust the pressure sensitivity of the brush. How nifty!

It's a shame that more retail DS games didn't make use of this function.

With this in mind...
Through many absentminded hours of Pictochat, I've discovered that when two points are applied to the DS's touch screen, the screen registers the point of contact directly between the two of them. For example, if one were to press two fingers onto the screen in Pictochat, the system will draw a single line between them. The pressure of the fingers would also affect the position of the line drawn. Try it for yourself, it's pretty nifty* stuff!
*When i say "nifty", I mean "interesting by Geoflcl's nerdy standards". If you're not a pathetic loser like I am, you'll most likely find it boring and uninteresting.
tongue.gif

Edit: Ninja'd by MADKATZ99!
ohmy.gif

Heck, who knows? Perhaps Nintendo did improve the technology used in the bottom screen for the new system. However, if they haven't, I imagine the phenomenon you're experiencing is more or less the same as what I've described above. Have you tried slowly sliding a single stylus between the "Yesterday" and "Tomorrow" choices to see how they react?

Reactions: gurgleburble

sdoc96

Creaky Old Stiff Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
MADKATZ99 said:
Yep, even the DS did this. In pictochat it's most noticeable. The faster you change the pressure the faster the line drew from one finger to the other. Not multitouch, just how the screen works
tongue.gif
So it does. I stand corrected.
Close thread.

lapatateinc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But the 3DS indeed has a better "multi-touch" support. Take a phat DS, apply your finger and try to navigate with it. That's just a no, because the DS had up to 2 ( or 3, correct me if I'm wrong ) points on screen you could press at the same time, and it just did whatever point was between them.
3DS works pretty well with fingers, so I guess it supports more that 2 or 3 points on screen. I haven't tested it fully, but I can affirm that it is a lot better. I'm almost never taking my stylus

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
The DSi (at least) had pressure sensitive too, ever used the Art Academy DSiWare? It's paint and pencils are pressure sensitive. The multi-touch is just a no though.

Masterpaul

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
There all pressure sensitive, the license for the technology is not free though. Perhaps multi-touch technology is locked away in the touchscreen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: