Hacking 3DS decapping fundraising topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Quite frankly, I did donate and I am rather dissapointed with this. First of all, they should have said the full price from the start. You can't just start asking money to a bunch of strangers without even making sure of this. Second of all, it took a lot of time for them to give any response... As far as I remember they had raised $2000 weeks ago. And last, they didn't even apologize for their mistakes nor they thanked the donators... If they did that and kindly asked for the extra money maybe I wouldn't be so letdown.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you're right, and frankly I still think something could come of it. But the fact that they completely ignore you is lame, and chargebacks aren't even finalizing they at least would get some attention.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I have been considering this, since the donations were already made, I would at least ask they respond to some inquiries. Updates are posted (somewhat) though and IF they are bombarded with messages they may not see them all (have time) and might not want to reply to the same questions repeatedly. They could be genuine. I was very harsh earlier but HOPE this works out. Anyone see the nand reading for the 3ds? I see some of the same names on there (some from this thread). I can understand not wanting to share all of the pictures now. Last night though it did not smell great. You guys are trying to get some full control (I believe) and I know a save exploit still exists (might be more also).

Worrying is normal and my nature is to protect people. Always more layers than expected. I do computer repair and give estimates up front. WITH the disclaimer that there may be more involved in the repair(s). Could be a lack of communication up front. I am trying to be fair here as this could be VERY exciting. If it were me I would add in a fee to replace my 3ds, lmfao. Not saying this is it as others suggested a VAT.

Reactions: Syphurith

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Its amazing how many people jump on the bandwagon as soon as they think stuff goes sour, and the funny part is the most active complainers have nothing to do with this.. When we donate to causes like this, as adults we know the risk associated and most people know patience, from the start it was around 2000 plus taxes and possibly also cost of donation 3ds, just cause people have real lives and dont update stuff for a while, shouldnt be read into, I never read "the second we hit whatever you think the goal is, we will update progress, if we dont means we scammed you" After all people did donate, with some not realising what a donation is , once people start bringing their own personal expectations and views into it the thread it just derails, considering its only really been active since the complainers found their way in to spin talk about being scammed, like we are in the playground at school and you have lost your pokemon cards or something

It's SCARY how much you sound like my parents.

I stated in a post above that the risk most people perceived in donating - was no progression of the 3DS scene. People did not think of their money being at risk for being misused. Donators were promised that an attempt at decapping the chip would be made if the goal was reached. It has been well over a month since the original donation goal of $2000 was achieved.

There has been no update whatsoever except for a brief change from $2000 to $2300 stating that taxes were not taken into account. We have not heard anything from gshock in regards to the 3DS being sent off to the lab for the decapping. He has not thanked a single donator as RodrigoDavy has mentioned. The decapping team has been entirely unprofessional throughout this whole process. People work hard for their money. The economy is rough right now in many places. Yes, the words "about $2000" were used. They still made it clear in the bottom line of the donation page that $2000 was the goal. For them to raise it with no word except "taxes" as to why - that's what pisses us off. Not just the fact that it's an extra $300.

After waiting so long, with no response (except for the "we need more of your money" do you seriously not think that people would question what has happened with the money? $2300 is no small chunk of change, and the people who donated have real lives as well. It takes 5 minutes to update us, if less on what has happened to the $2300 that was donated to the cause. People want to know where their money goes. It is a very real and scary thought to think that this may have been a scam. A very damaging one because this sets back the progression of the 3DS scene. People are talking about how frightened they are. Because its their money that has gone into this project, it is their right as well to receive the images that would have came out of the process. It's like buying a box of cookies from a girl scout fundraiser, but on a much larger scale. They may think, yes, I may be donating money to the girl scouts - but I get this sweet awesome box of cookies out of it. It's the same thing here. People poured in money expecting results.

There is no spin talk. We are worried about what has happened with the funds, and the future of our 3DS scene which so far doesn't exist. (I'm not talking about retail, obviously.) You seem very much like someone who is very closed minded, and takes everything at face value, believing in what the authority says. When things don't go right, it's important to question them. That's exactly what we're doing here - questioning. It's what any normal human being would do if their money has disappeared. They would think, "What happened? Why is it gone? What's going to happen now?" This is all perfectly normal. It's important to look at things from all angles. And in truth, no one who just received $2000 should be THAT busy that they can't spare us 5 minutes to tell us what the deal is. I could do it from my iPhone sitting on the toilet.

fidrocka

teen programer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's SCARY how much you sound like my parents.

I stated in a post above that the risk most people perceived in donating - was no progression of the 3DS scene. People did not think of their money being at risk for being misused. Donators were promised that an attempt at decapping the chip would be made if the goal was reached. It has been well over a month since the original donation goal of $2000 was achieved.

There has been no update whatsoever except for a brief change from $2000 to $2300 stating that taxes were not taken into account. We have not heard anything from gshock in regards to the 3DS being sent off to the lab for the decapping. He has not thanked a single donator as RodrigoDavy has mentioned. The decapping team has been entirely unprofessional throughout this whole process. People work hard for their money. The economy is rough right now in many places. Yes, the words "about $2000" were used. They still made it clear in the bottom line of the donation page that $2000 was the goal. For them to raise it with no word except "taxes" as to why - that's what pisses us off. Not just the fact that it's an extra $300.

After waiting so long, with no response (except for the "we need more of your money" do you seriously not think that people would question what has happened with the money? $2300 is no small chunk of change, and the people who donated have real lives as well. It takes 5 minutes to update us, if less on what has happened to the $2300 that was donated to the cause. People want to know where their money goes. It is a very real and scary thought to think that this may have been a scam. A very damaging one because this sets back the progression of the 3DS scene. People are talking about how frightened they are. Because its their money that has gone into this project, it is their right as well to receive the images that would have came out of the process. It's like buying a box of cookies from a girl scout fundraiser, but on a much larger scale. They may think, yes, I may be donating money to the girl scouts - but I get this sweet awesome box of cookies out of it. It's the same thing here. People poured in money expecting results.

There is no spin talk. We are worried about what has happened with the funds, and the future of our 3DS scene which so far doesn't exist. (I'm not talking about retail, obviously.) You seem very much like someone who is very closed minded, and takes everything at face value, believing in what the authority says. When things don't go right, it's important to question them. That's exactly what we're doing here - questioning. It's what any normal human being would do if their money has disappeared. They would think, "What happened? Why is it gone? What's going to happen now?" This is all perfectly normal. It's important to look at things from all angles. And in truth, no one who just received $2000 should be THAT busy that they can't spare us 5 minutes to tell us what the deal is. I could do it from my iPhone sitting on the toilet.

she is right i mean its been sometime since we last about project and now they come out saying we need more money .... girl there is no better way of saying than how you did :bow: i got your back

Reactions: Xarsah16

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I've silently watched this since the fundraiser started, periodically checking its progress, just because this decapping business makes me curious, but not hopeful since I recognize that many have mentioned that this has the potential to lead to absolutely nothing. What has surprised me in entirely a bad way is the team's total lack of communication. As was previously mentioned, it isn't difficult to give a heads up and actually speak to the people who have blindly handed you money, trusting you to use it for the stated purpose. It takes little to no time, and is more reassuring than weeks of silence followed by "oh yeah, nobody thought of taxes, $300 more kthnxbye". C'mon. Thank your donators. Encourage more donations through communication. Do something rather than ask for money and then crawl back into a hole. I may not deserve more than that, but anybody who even gave $1 damn well does.

In this day and age of convenience with masses of technology, there is no excuse for how poorly this has been handled. I suppose we just have to hope there are results at this point, and that nobody gives up and starts taking their money back.

lismati

Speedrunner in practice
Trophies
Website
www.wiiplanet.info
XP
Country
Poland
It wouldn't surprise me, if their extra-300-bucks begging resulted in people getting chargebacks, thus leaving less money to whoever is running this whole fundraising.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People keep saying "team", like there's more than one person organizing this whole thing. Gshock(jl12) organized this, by himself. Neimod is part of the admin at 3DBrew.org, and is most likely an admin at EFnet channel #3dsdev. Jl12 got in contact with Neimod and Co. told them about his plan to get a 3DS SoC decapped and the layers scanned. They trust jl12, so they decided to endorse him, so his fundraiser would have credibility with those who follow 3DBrew.org. Jl12 is an extremely busy person who has little time for hobbies. And the tax thing, well that's just bad communication.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
People don't seem to understand what the procedure involves and why it's so expensive, thinking this is all a useless scam so I'll try to elaborate on the subject.

Decapping is literally what you think it is - a chip is bombarded with X-Rays at varied strength to "slice it" into layers, then the layers are saved as high-resolution photographs. After that comes physical decapping (if it's at all possible) which has to be performed with extreme care as these days, chips are made to practically self-destruct after any attempt of tampering which is obviously undesirable. Then, those physical layers are likely scanned once more and then, since those micro-circuits are multi-layered, they are mapped together in one complete circuit.

All this is done with the use of extremely expensive tools as well as chemicals - microscopes, lasers, precision blades, X-Ray scanners, acid solutions of varied stregth and so on with the whole procedure often performed in a vacuum chamber to prevent even the smallest specks of dust from contaminating the X-Ray pictures or the circuits.

Why is this important even after the system was hacked? To figure out all the complex in-CPU I/O, to find out whether there are some hardware-based vulnerabilities or protection mechanisms that haven't surfaced yet and are so-called "aces up Nintendo's sleeve" and simply to learn more about the custom chip.

Is this a scam? No - it's a bargain price to be perfectly honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock