3DS could feature automatic firmware updates

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
NinjaMic said:
I get the sneaking suspicion that these "good piracy sux" people are gigantic hypocrites.

But thats just me
mellow.gif
If you are just going to pirate every fucking game and never buy one, then yes. I do agree that is very selfish. However, there are the small group of pirates including me who do buy what they like or play a pirated version while they wait for the real copy to arrive.

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't help but scoff at all the anti-piracy talk in this thread. HELLO, LOOK WHERE WE ARE. Please, someone raise your hand if you have a flashcart and have not pirated; I'm waiting. People acting like sstomouth is some kind of idiot because he thinks people wont buy the 3DS because it can't be pirated on? Well, looks like they at least lost two hardware sales potentially. If you're against the idea of piracy, leave GBAtemp; seriously, get the hell out, that's what the core of this community is. People whining over piracy here obviously don't have bills to pay, obviously have never had to pay for their own college and obviously don't pay for their own material possessions.

It's not always the case that piracy hurts software sale; Nintendo will not receive software commission from me, only hardware, and only if I can get the software for less than $0.01.

BlueJon5

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.bluejon.com
XP
Country
United States
alright so be prepared to take out the battery put it back have the wifi off for a min and disable the wifi from the 3DS (call for drastic measures)...
WAIT...isnt there a wifi switch on the side of the 3DS AS SEEN ON THE JAPANESE COMMERCIAL!!!

74107784.jpg

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why wouldn't there be a way to turn off wifi? All the DS installments had it. Just had to go to the menu.

That seems to be no different than the PSP WLAN switch..

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Apex said:
I can't help but scoff at all the anti-piracy talk in this thread. HELLO, LOOK WHERE WE ARE. Please, someone raise your hand if you have a flashcart and have not pirated; I'm waiting. People acting like sstomouth is some kind of idiot because he thinks people wont buy the 3DS because it can't be pirated on? Well, looks like they at least lost two hardware sales potentially. If you're against the idea of piracy, leave GBAtemp; seriously, get the hell out, that's what the core of this community is. People whining over piracy here obviously don't have bills to pay, obviously have never had to pay for their own college and obviously don't pay for their own material possessions.

It's not always the case that piracy hurts software sale; Nintendo will not receive software commission from me, only hardware, and only if I can get the software for less than $0.01.

Sorry, but you can't rationalize the "need" to pirate because it isn't something you "need" in the first place. It's a "want", a "luxury", a "non-essential", and you are taking advantage of hard working people who produce the products they spent their time and money to make by expecting them for free; working people like you and me who have bills to pay, families to support, lives to live. It's not one or two people that are trying to get stuff for free. It's hundreds of thousands and more made up from thousands of communities, each a drop in a pond, leading to millions lost; millions that could have gone towards future projects and stability in companies in these hard economic times. The more informed people get about piracy, the more piracy will occur, and that WILL lead to potential consequences.

The need to pirate is worse than a beggar stealing bread. They can't afford it, but they must have it to survive, and they are willing to deprive someone else of the work put into it for their own needs. But you don't need video games to survive, but you are still willing to take what you feel you "must" have when you don't need it at all. That really makes you worse than a thief, and I hope their counter-measures against 3DS piracy holds out long enough for developers to earn what they deserve.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Apex said:
Well, looks like they at least lost two hardware sales potentially.
And Nintendo (and any other gaming company) will gladly lose those hardware sales in exchange for a hack-proof system. A handful of whiny pirates versus several million people who would pirate if they could but will still buy the console even if it's unhackable, and pay for games. A few hundred dollars in hardware sales versus several million dolars in software sales. Gee, tough one, I'll have to think about it.

rolleyes.gif

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
all nintendos doing is making it where the hackers want to hack it more. There are basically saying i Dare you to hack it, and they got some smart mother ******* out there. THis will be hacked might take a while, but it will be hacked nothing is unhackable if it's made by man it can be hacked by man

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
...its just going to result in CFWs, isnt it?

CFWs and update blocks. though with all the money i saved on the ds, i might happily buy some more games this time (still bought at least 20 games on the ds for my siblings)

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
DiscostewSM said:
Apex said:

Sorry, but you can't rationalize the "need" to pirate because it isn't something you "need" in the first place. It's a "want", a "luxury", a "non-essential", and you are taking advantage of hard working people who produce the products they spent their time and money to make by expecting them for free; working people like you and me who have bills to pay, families to support, lives to live. It's not one or two people that are trying to get stuff for free. It's hundreds of thousands and more made up from thousands of communities, each a drop in a pond, leading to millions lost; millions that could have gone towards future projects and stability in companies in these hard economic times. The more informed people get about piracy, the more piracy will occur, and that WILL lead to potential consequences.

The need to pirate is worse than a beggar stealing bread. They can't afford it, but they must have it to survive, and they are willing to deprive someone else of the work put into it for their own needs. But you don't need video games to survive, but you are still willing to take what you feel you "must" have when you don't need it at all. That really makes you worse than a thief, and I hope their counter-measures against 3DS piracy holds out long enough for developers to earn what they deserve.

I implore you to point out once where I stated it was a necessity to pirate. I *want* to play games, and I *want* to buy the hardware, I don't *want* choose between something actually important, and a videogame. I also beg you to point out where I said it would hurt there sales overall besides two hardware sales? I was criticizing the fact people were discounting sstomouth for him saying this would persuade certain people from purchasing the system. Guess what? I was right, so was he. Hmmm, nice points too bad they were not relevant in the least bit to my passage. Next time you want to look cool, say something useful to the topic at hand. In the mean time, Baaaaah sheep Baaah.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
Fuck this.

Why must every single topic about antipiracy have to become a warzone for pirates and antipirates?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
The bulk of the profit for console producers is the games. They're not going to shed a tear if you don't buy their console to pirate games on it, at launch it basically means there'll be an extra unit to sell to someone who is going to buy games.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Apex said:
DiscostewSM said:
Apex said:

I implore you to point out once where I stated it was a necessity to pirate. I *want* to play games, and I *want* to buy the hardware, I don't *want* choose between something actually important, and a videogame. I also beg you to point out where I said it would hurt there sales overall besides two hardware sales? I was criticizing the fact people were discounting sstomouth for him saying this would persuade certain people from purchasing the system. Guess what? I was right, so was he. Hmmm, nice points too bad they were not relevant in the least bit to my passage. Next time you want to look cool, say something useful to the topic at hand. In the mean time, Baaaaah sheep Baaah.

You *want* to play the games, but in order to play them, you *need* to have them in your possession, which means you either need to purchase them, or you need to pirate them. Since your posts clearly states that you won't purchase them, your only option is to pirate them. That's where you indirectly stated that it is a necessity to pirate; to fulfill your *want*. Bluestar and Veho have already answered why it would hurt sales. You didn't need to say anything about it, because my remark was a general statement relevant to what I'm was talking about, not a response to any particular person.

And one more thing. If you think about piracy is on-topic with this thread, but anti-piracy isn't, then you need to continue your grazing out in the pasture. A discussion involves opposites. To speak on only one side is speaking propaganda. Whether you think I was trying to be *cool* with what I said is irrelevant.

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Inserting auto update by wi-fi spots? Hold on, so if you don't setup a internet connection, how is it supposed to be legal? If you don't have "wi-fi spot" at home, then it will force it to break in to neighbour networks, if it will be able to at least. (think of the wep key, fixed ip, dns etc.)

And for auto update: if programmers find out about this auto firmware update, isn't it possible to just remove it by hacking or something?

I don't think those auto updates will be legal, so cross that one at least, but the game firmware update would be really slyyyy.

I love to see cool games coming up for 3ds!

(and for the ones who like to download games, stick with ndsl/i/xl

JPhantom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are a lot of issues with them legally updating from random wifi. the most they can do is have deals with starbucks, Mcdonalds, etc. to connect to their wifi automatically and even that has legal issues in some areas.

but I wonder would it be legal for them to have a game autoupdate the system in the background while you are playing without telling you? I mean if the game informs you in any way even if it doesn't ask permission but lets you know it is happening people will turn off the system and risk bricking their system rather than update and break their softmod/flashcart

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
If this is explicitly included in the EULA, perhaps even advertised as a feature, then I don't anyone will be able to take them to court for anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: One day away from Juan's birthday