Hardware 3ds Cirlepad not moving HELP NEEDED

SirKelly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I have the problem that on 2 Units I was working on started to show problems with the cirle pad after putting it in a used Panda Dev Units Shell, When the 3ds Cold boots its start moving downwards on its own and after a while it stops and Im only able to move left and right with the cirle pad anymore no Up nor Down ITS NOT A HARDWARE PROBELM WITH THE CIRLE PAD i tried multible Cirle pads in the console and it allways has the same behaviour as if plugging in the top screen of the panda unit blew something ? I tried 5 different cirle pads with the console, the console reacts to them all the same and using those cirle pads in my working 3ds allows me to use them as they were intended. So I think the screen / audio cable / Camera of the panda unit blew something on the board like a fuse or something ? For the person who can show me a solution to the problem to save those 2x 3ds motherboards I will paypal 10 Bucks as Im pulling my hair out for the last 5 hours tring to understand what its problem is. I switched every switchable part there is and I put the "Broken" motherboard in my Working 3ds one and its still the same problems with every part swapped out ( Like the wifi chip the IR sensor and such )

Edit : Video of it

Last edited by SirKelly,

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The 3DS circle pad has 4 pins, one pair for power and the other for horizontal and vertical input. It's possible that the connector or the traces going to that connector on the 3DS motherboard itself are broken for just that one pin responsible for the vertical input, can you spot any damage inside the connector or in the area around it on the motherboard?

SirKelly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No physical damage as in the connector is still soldered to the board with out a problem plus it happend to 2 systems so besides that the top screen blew something up It wont be physical damage

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What do you mean that the top screen blew something up? I guess it's a bit weird that the same thing happened to 2 systems, but in that case it is possible that the I/O controller IC is damaged for just that one circle pad input.

SirKelly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah I mean that the screen could have damaged something like you said possibly the IO IC because like I said it just happend to both of them when I pluged them into the screen and I dont wanna loose another system to that screen if I dont need to so I didnt plug the working board into that screen I have been working with 3ds consoles for a long time now and the only thing that came near to such an experince was a console the litterally killed the upper screen when you pluged it in. Is the Controller IC the one on top of the Cirle pad flex cable ?

SirKelly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks ! I looked arround sadly it doesnt seem to mention what is running the circle pad / what Ic it could possibly be but thanks for the help so far !

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, the specifications part says this: Speaker, Microphone, Circlepad, Touch controller TI PAIC3010B 0AA37DW
If you can find an IC on the motherboard with that text/label then it is probably the faulty IO controller that you are looking for. Apparently it is also responsible for the speakers so I guess it could have been the speakers from the dev unit shell that broke this IC.

Reactions: SirKelly

SirKelly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh gosh I must have been blind Ill check it tomorrow and try replacing it ! I will come back to you if it worked out :) Thanks for the help

Reactions: IC_

yaum

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey @SirKelly I had the exact same behavior on an o3DS XL. The fix for me was very easy, and did not cost anything.

The zif connector, even if looking ok, is getting loose for no reason sometimes. Open your console, remove the circle pad and disconnect it. Then, cut a normal seet of paper the size of the flex cable(~80g/mm2, get it 1cm long, so you can remove it when needed). Insert both the flex cable & paper into the connector (do not put the paper on the side where there are the pads) and close the zif connector.
Now, the connection should be very appropriate. Reassemble the console and off you go!

Link to my thread (I misnamed circle pad for c-stick, but I'm talking about that), the described behavior is the same.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/old-3ds-c-stick-not-working-top-bottom-axis.574610/

Last edited by yaum,
Reactions: IC_

SirKelly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey there thanks for the reply but the zif connector isnt at fault sadly as I just replaced it on the one console and got the problem on 2 consoles at the same time with an as stiff as it gets zif connector ! But thanks for trying to help me

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat