3DS Can Use The Unreal Engine Says Ubisoft

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Livin in a box, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Livin in a box
    OP

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    In a recent interview with GameSpot, Ubisoft have revealed that they have been able to get the Unreal Engine running on the 3DS which is fairly surprising given some of the comments that other developers have made about the 3DS.

“The 3DS is powerful, and we are able to run the Unreal engine on this console, which is pretty impressive for a handheld machine, and the 3D doesn’t affect the performance (thanks to my amazing programmers),” Splinter Cell 3DS producer, Fabrice Cuny, said to GameSpot. “The architecture is different compared to a Wii or some other platforms that we had to work with here at Ubisoft Montreal.

“The 3DS can be much more comparable to a platform between a DSi and a Wii. We are able to create games anywhere from a puzzle game to very high-end game such as Splinter Cell 3D. The tools on the 3DS were brand new, and with every development phase, we had some tools with bugs and crashes. But with version after version, Nintendo provided us a set of tools and the support to help us debug and optimize the game.”

We already know that the NGP can run many of the newest engines, including CryEngine (the engine used in the Crysis series) and Unreal Engine 3, but that will have more powerful technology. It would certainly be a positive thing if developers can get the Unreal Engine to run on the 3DS without any glitches or significant screen tearing to bring the overall quality right down. Hopefully that won’t be the case.[/p]

Awesome Source

It'll be good if they can get it to run, but I have a fear that it will make the battery life be even shorter...But graphics > battery life obviously!

2. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    I think there's a topic for this already....

3. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
  4. Livin in a box
    OP

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    Ugh, there's a search form there for a reason xD

5. Chaosruler

Member Chaosruler GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    I really wouldn't like Unreal Engine based games on the Nintendo 3DS\DS