machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RNorthex said:
the problem is, they can still legally prohibit the use of their online service

if there is a game that requires you to update, but nintendo has added sth to your system that basically tells the game "hey i used flashcarts", they can prohibit the update thus the game won't work?
that's what i was wondering about

because if you can still update through a legit game while they blocked the online service you can still update and get all the other features of it while using homebrew/playing backup games

and for pirates, losing e-shop is not a big deal
Why do you say that?

Liamxx7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RNorthex said:

if there is a game that requires you to update, but nintendo has added sth to your system that basically tells the game "hey i used flashcarts", they can prohibit the update thus the game won't work?

because if you can still update through a legit game while they blocked the online service you can still update and get all the other features of it while using homebrew/playing backup games

Heres the solution for that problem:

here is the deal
as i told on the 3ds faq or something thread i used my flashcard(r4igold.cc) this one on my 3ds on the spot when i first opened my 3ds
then i just updated
the update was successful and i still could use my flashcard on it
so for the problem of the activity log
this is what i can report to you
as many ppl said you can delete the log of the game you used from the software library but not the daily records.
so i just have to report to you that i deleted my daily records by formating the system
also the update that i did before stayed on my system meaning i am still on ver. 1.1.0-1E
so cheers.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Goofy Time said:
Croaker said:
Hum...

In France, the use of flashcards is legal. (Nintendo lost their lawsuit against flashcartds dealers last year)

This means Nintendo can't limit the use of the 3DS in France by bricking it or blocking the access to the online features just because people used flashcarts. If they want to brick/block/ limit the use of your 3DS because you violated the copyright, they have to prove that roms were booted on the flashcard, then that the booted rom is an illegal one because you do not own the original game. And that will be quite diffucult to prove without paying a visit (
biggrin.gif
) to every flashcart user: "Hey, I'm Regis Fils-Aimee, And I'm about kicking your ass cause you used a flashcart!"

So any attempt of Nintendo to brick/block/limit the use of your 3DS in France is totally illegal.

I think French flashcarts users are pretty lucky.

Legally, French users can use flash cards. Legally, Nintendo can disable whatever they want on their own system unless it's something they advertised. Considering flashcards are unofficial devices, they have legal rights to limit their use, if they choose to. It's not like what Sony did with removing OtherOS, something they offered to consumers.

What I say to people here is just use your DS cards on your DS. This way, you don't even have to care for the scare tactics and you won't complain if/when Nintendo figures out a way to prevent them from running on 3DS. Unless of course, you have no DS..
Actually, they can't legally brick the 3DS. you bought that 3DS, it's yours, Nintendo doesn't own your 3DS but they do own the 3DS product in general, thus they can't brick it legally.

That would be like saying I can't put my own ketchup on a burger I bought from a fast-food restaurant because the people who made it would get mad. The ketchup is 3rd-party and technically unauthorized, and the restaurant is the "company", so to speak.

I never said brick. They won't brick consoles. They'll simply patch and attempt to disable the cards from being recognized is all.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goofy Time said:
machomuu said:
Goofy Time said:
Croaker said:
Hum...

In France, the use of flashcards is legal. (Nintendo lost their lawsuit against flashcartds dealers last year)

This means Nintendo can't limit the use of the 3DS in France by bricking it or blocking the access to the online features just because people used flashcarts. If they want to brick/block/ limit the use of your 3DS because you violated the copyright, they have to prove that roms were booted on the flashcard, then that the booted rom is an illegal one because you do not own the original game. And that will be quite diffucult to prove without paying a visit (
biggrin.gif
) to every flashcart user: "Hey, I'm Regis Fils-Aimee, And I'm about kicking your ass cause you used a flashcart!"

So any attempt of Nintendo to brick/block/limit the use of your 3DS in France is totally illegal.

I think French flashcarts users are pretty lucky.

Legally, French users can use flash cards. Legally, Nintendo can disable whatever they want on their own system unless it's something they advertised. Considering flashcards are unofficial devices, they have legal rights to limit their use, if they choose to. It's not like what Sony did with removing OtherOS, something they offered to consumers.

What I say to people here is just use your DS cards on your DS. This way, you don't even have to care for the scare tactics and you won't complain if/when Nintendo figures out a way to prevent them from running on 3DS. Unless of course, you have no DS..
Actually, they can't legally brick the 3DS. you bought that 3DS, it's yours, Nintendo doesn't own your 3DS but they do own the 3DS product in general, thus they can't brick it legally.

That would be like saying I can't put my own ketchup on a burger I bought from a fast-food restaurant because the people who made it would get mad. The ketchup is 3rd-party and technically unauthorized, and the restaurant is the "company", so to speak.

I never said brick. They won't brick consoles. They'll simply patch and attempt to disable the cards from being recognized is all.
Well in that case, yeah.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You guys realize that ANY flashcart that has compatibility with a 3DS is technically illegal in ALL countries (except iEvolution)? The reason is because those carts have bootstraps with copyrighted code installed. You cant distribute copyrighted stuff without the permission of the copyright holder.

So, technically, gbatemp and other sites with flash carts ads are doing advertisments for purchasing illegal devices.

And Nintendo is of course aware of that. Ah well, it's useless to discuss it further..

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
zzz92 said:
But seriously, what's stopping Nintendo from bricking our units? Sony has did it with thousands of psp units, what's protecting song from law suits?This is the first I've heard of Sony remote bricking PSPs... you're going to have to give more details, preferably some good sources.

RNorthex said:
if there is a game that requires you to update, but nintendo has added sth to your system that basically tells the game "hey i used flashcarts", they can prohibit the update thus the game won't work?A game that requires an update comes with the update.

WiiBricker said:
You guys realize that ANY flashcart that has compatibility with a 3DS is technically illegal in ALL countries (except iEvolution)? The reason is because those carts have bootstraps with copyrighted code installed. You cant distribute copyrighted stuff without the permission of the copyright holder.

So, technically, gbatemp and other sites with flash carts ads are doing advertisments for purchasing illegal devices.

And Nintendo is of course aware of that. Ah well, it's useless to discuss it further..
It's in part, not whole, and copyright law lets you reproduce just part of a work, commonly titled "fair use". In addition carts use the headers for interoperability (which has laws protecting it), so it's not so cut and cry as that.

http://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/
More info there.

QUOTE(zzz92 @ Mar 28 2011, 11:24 PM)
Sorry about that i didnt mean voluntarly bricking the psp. I actually meant that, why can sony brick PSPs with software updates when users have just installed a hack teams edited version of the OS and not Nintendo? Is it because there was actual change made to the licensed OS of the psp?

simply put, Why can the psp be bricked but not 3ds? [assuming that the softmod for the psp is a stable release and the flashcart used are quality cards with no errors]
that's what i really want to know here.
What are you talking about?

This is about a PURPOSEFUL brick, not an ACCIDENTAL one.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
RNorthex said:
if there is a game that requires you to update, but nintendo has added sth to your system that basically tells the game "hey i used flashcarts", they can prohibit the update thus the game won't work?A game that requires an update comes with the update.

i meant: can nintendo prohibit you from updating from the game?

Liamxx7 said:
QUOTE(RNorthex @ Mar 28 2011, 11:33 PM)

Heres the solution for that problem:

here is the deal
as i told on the 3ds faq or something thread i used my flashcard(r4igold.cc) this one on my 3ds on the spot when i first opened my 3ds
then i just updated
the update was successful and i still could use my flashcard on it
so for the problem of the activity log
this is what i can report to you
as many ppl said you can delete the log of the game you used from the software library but not the daily records.
so i just have to report to you that i deleted my daily records by formating the system
also the update that i did before stayed on my system meaning i am still on ver. 1.1.0-1E
so cheers.

made a post about that earlier in a different topic
but will make it short:

it's not 100% that it'll delete ALL the records, Nintendo could've make the formating leave the run/installed softwares/cartridges' "traces" on the system it self
also, i'd want to point out, that if nintendo is clever:

they might want you to use flashcarts, teams hack the systems etc, encourage them to do so, so that in a later update, when a massive amount of people that have used any hacking device will be blocked at once and it'll be too late to warn a lot of those poeple

and if this IS really their tactic, then it worked
some ppl are scared and some people w/o hesitation are using flashcarts

but maybe they just want to make you believe it, encourage hacking and slam down on the pirates with over 9000 powerlevel

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
RNorthex said:
Rydian said:
RNorthex said:
A game that requires an update comes with the update.
i meant: can nintendo prohibit you from updating from the game?
Considering updates tend to fix security holes I'm pretty sure it's in their best interest that you always update.

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
imagine this:

you want a 3ds
you have no internet
you download roms from your friends internet
you have a flashcart
you play games on the 3ds
a game comes and you need to update
you have no internet - > no update?
if the games need you to update they will bring the update within the card, i think it would be plain stupid, plus if the update bricks the system or wont let you update to play the game, stores would just get many returned games / 3ds's...

just my theory though xD

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MaxNuker said:
imagine this:

you want a 3ds
you have no internet
you download roms from your friends internet
you have a flashcart
you play games on the 3ds
a game comes and you need to update
you have no internet - > no update?
if the games need you to update they will bring the update within the card, i think it would be plain stupid, plus if the update bricks the system or wont let you update to play the game, stores would just get many returned games / 3ds's...

just my theory though xD
They would put the update within the game,just like PSP UMD's.

Every update has a chance of bricking,there is always a risk(even if it's small). And why would they put an update if it won't let you play?That's pretty lame.

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
thasts what i meant!!! if there are going to be updates to play games they will have to be in the cartridge itself! like ps3 has... some updates on the games, and if its in the cartridge, i think it can be hackable? so... i dont think they will make updates to run new games
smile.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
MaxNuker said:
thasts what i meant!!! if there are going to be updates to play games they will have to be in the cartridge itself! like ps3 has... some updates on the games,And the PSP and the Wii.

QUOTE(MaxNuker @ Mar 29 2011, 08:44 AM) and if its in the cartridge, i think it can be hackable? so... i dont think they will make updates to run new games
smile.gif
No? Carts are ROM, read-only. Can't modify most contents.

zzz92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Ok looks like i'm causing more confusion.. I've removed my earlier posts and going to rephrase them properly this time..

What i'm talking about is not remote bricking of the 3ds. I am asking why cant nintendo brick the 3ds when users update their 3ds to new firmware. When psp users update their mod psp their psp will brick and will need to be repaired. [not all versions of the psp]

*my theory*
Let's say if the 3ds keeps a log about the use of flashcarts in the device. When it connects to nintendo servers, the server might take that log. So when new firmware update comes nintendo will send a different version of the firmware as compared to legit cartridge users, a firmware that can brick the 3ds which then will need to be repaired by nintendo.

That is what i'm asking and wondering why cant nintendo do this?

ben1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
zzz92 said:
Ok looks like i'm causing more confusion.. I've removed my earlier posts and going to rephrase them properly this time..

What i'm talking about is not remote bricking of the 3ds. I am asking why cant nintendo brick the 3ds when users update their 3ds to new firmware. When psp users update their mod psp their psp will brick and will need to be repaired. [not all versions of the psp]

*my theory*
Let's say if the 3ds keeps a log about the use of flashcarts in the device. When it connects to nintendo servers, the server might take that log. So when new firmware update comes nintendo will send a different version of the firmware as compared to legit cartridge users, a firmware that can brick the 3ds which then will need to be repaired by nintendo.

That is what i'm asking and wondering why cant nintendo do this?

First, they can't make sure at 100% that you're using it, I mean they don't have fact or evidence, log file doesn't show "I'm using a flashcard" just saying "I used official game for very long time" (in case of flashcard). It's just a probability, not sure at all. Why? Because flashcard simulate real game in log file.

Secondly, they can brick, technically it's possible, just it's stupid, they will get mad user, will have enemy, less people will buy it. Also, it's forbiden by law to voluntarly brick system using flashcard. All they can do as it was said maaaaaany times already, is forbid access to all remote service and update the firmware with patch for the security hole used by the flashcard to prevent anymore usage of it on the 3DS.

So it's not about is it possible to do it, of course it is. But can they do without loosing too much user and without getting proceeding all over the world ^^

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there's no ill effects from using a flashcart on the 3DS by the time I buy one in July, I'll get a 3DS. I'm not worried about getting bricked (That's total bullshit) but I'd like to keep online functions.

vandawn

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Tonitonichopchop said:
If there's no ill effects from using a flashcart on the 3DS by the time I buy one in July, I'll get a 3DS. I'm not worried about getting bricked (That's total bullshit) but I'd like to keep online functions.

easy when you buy it in july update first to the latest firmware which will include the online shops
after that use your flashcard if the 3ds recognize it then you are ok
if not then you will have to w8 from the flashcard team to release their newest patch that will enable compatibility of the 3ds once again

goomboss

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe slightly off subject, but I once read the agrement on guitar hero's guitars. that one states that whenever activisions wants you to you should hand over or destroy the guitar in question. isn't nintendo aiming for the same agrement? also had a flash card in my 3ds by a friends mistake so if something happens nintendo has lost me for EVER this time!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2