360 at Hong Kong.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Hermessz, Feb 26, 2009.

Feb 26, 2009

360 at Hong Kong. by Hermessz at 6:37 PM (1,076 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Hermessz
    OP

Member Hermessz GBAtemp Regular

Israel
    jooo lads,
    I got a friend thats going to Hong Kong in a week, and im planning to ask him to buy me an Xbox360.
    I was wondering, if u guys know any good places to buy ORIGINAL Xbox360's (Hong Kong is full with fakes, if I can have a good known store [​IMG] ), with the new 65NM processor, so i wont get screwed by RROD.
    and also, how can I use game backups on the xbox, if it matters from what region it is.

Thanks in advance guys :>

2. Chinman

Member Chinman GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i went hong kong last nov and it was lame when it comes to the 360, i found they love their wii's and ps3's. and i wasnt able to find any place to buy a flashed one.

i know the places to buy this kind of stuff (in sham shui po there is a great place, altho i dont know what its called, i only know its right outside one of the exits on the mtr, a shopping centre dedicated to consoles. tsuen wan had one too, but i havent been there since my bro moved), but the shops owners just didnt seem interested to stock flashed 360s. possibly it was because at the time they were unable to flash the liteon drive and it was not cost effective to replace it with a spoofed drive. This has probably changed since they hacked the drive at xmas.

personally i didnt risk getting one in the end after weighing up the cons, foreign power supply, foreign warranty, playing online with a foreign machine, and the risk that the games i wanna play are not region free, forcing me to play the game in japanese. in the end i just got a one when i got back and flashed it myself, cost me about a fiver to do (sata card). hope this helps, if anyone knows any other great shops in hong kong please name them and i will check them out when i go again

3. cheshire_carper

Newcomer cheshire_carper Member

You are thinking of the Golden Shopping Arcade. Went there, ok.

4. Chinman

United Kingdom
    i know it when i see it [​IMG] the exit for the dragon centre tricks me every time [​IMG]

5. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
    ahm, thanks [​IMG]
    i got a really good store near by @ my city, that can flash xboxs, so i don't mind about flashed xboxs in HK)
    hm, my only worries were from old xboxs without 65NM, or just Fake xboxs, as weird as it sounds.

BTW, Most of the games im interested in Xbox360 are Region Free (Halo Wars, GoW2, GoW, etc etc)
    Power supply, i dunno if that makes a different.
    WOW, I really didnt think about warranty (HELLO ITS THE XBOX IT HAS FUCKIN RROD!!!1).
    I gonna have some questions to ask myself, because the reason i want to buy at HK in the first place is PRICE. (high prices here :< )
    if anyone knows the price in HK in dollars, it'll be great [​IMG]

And one last question, if I get an Arcade pack flashed, buy a 60 gig HDD, will it make a difference from Pro version which was once called 'Premium'?
    Because after making some calculations, if I buy Xbox360 Arcade + Flashed + 60 GIG HDD, it will be 200 shekels (at least 50$ less) less than Premium.
    Thanks in advance [​IMG]

6. Chinman

United Kingdom
    when i looked back in november the prices were not that great for me, i think i was saving about 30gbp. but now the pound has lost a lot of value, and the 360 has come down a lot since then.

in hk you usually have a choice of a jap one, which is the cheapest as it is the least sought after, and you usually need to use a transformer. a hong kong one which has a uk compatible power supply and usual english language settings and usually a bit more expensive, or an american one which is usually the most expensive as they had to import it in. its not like it used to be, i live in th emost expensive city in the world, im chinese and even i didnt import a 360 from hk, if i was from your country i may understand your problem better. i even forgot to mention the tax you may pay on it if you get stopped by customs, you may even end up paying more than you would in your own country.

i would say save yourself the hassle of getting your mate to lug one halfway around the world, taxes, incompatability, possible fake or refurbished, go out buy one today, and you could have a flashed xbox right now. you wont regret it. btw hong kong is great for buying cheap peripherals and accesories though

whatever you decide to do, good luck

65nm, you are talking about the new jasper motherboard being released now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_hardware#Motherboards
    this info on the back of the xbox will tell you if you have the new jasper motherboard, the shop owner should have no problem, taking out of the box to show it to you

the only difference is the premium has a silver disc drawer, and you dont get a headset of ethernet cable, so it depends on whats important to you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Comparison_of_features

7. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
  8. Chinman

United Kingdom
    no worries mate, ask away, i always check the 360 forum and help out if i can. little bits and bobs are always cheaper in hk, also they have no scruples and sell a lot of third party stuff, as long as it works, no one cares. personally i connect to the internet via a ethernet cable (which comes with the premium) to my router and is a much faster and reliable connection. ms want £55 for a wireless adapter in the UK. ms can kiss my ass if they thinking im paying for that

9. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
    explains why here it costs way more ^^
    well, i designed my house to be more of an internet center, so I use only Wireless connections, and it works cool, except for power and HDMI, i dont need any extra cables (on the PS and wii).
    Hm, sorry to brake my promise, however, i found out that i have a wireless bridge, that can connect to an ethernet exit, and connect wireless to the internet wanted, so i wont need to buy any crappy ms accessories. Do u happen to know if it'll work? or there would be any issues?
    btw, i decided to buy eventually here the 360, Pro version, with IXTREME 1.5 something like that, it would be great to have some FAQS about flashing xboxs and avoiding get banned.
    Hm, before i buy, I wanna just know, whats the real difference between the elite ver to prem? except the 120 gig and black colour?
    thanks again :>

10. Chinman

United Kingdom
    i kind of dont know what you are asking about, but i will answer the best i can with what i did understand from your message. all i know is you can connect the 360 with a cable to the internet as if it were a pc, wirelessly i think you need to use their official adapter

the 360 you decided to buy should be ok, if they have flashed it with ixtreme 1.5. this is the latest custom firmware to combat the liteon drive, and undetectable by ms. no one really know what criteria gets you banned but the popular theories include, bad copies, playing a review copy, playing a game that hasnt been stealth patched, or generally playing a game well before its release date. problem is, ms doesnt ban you straight away, they do a mass banning every once in a while. generally all games are released stealth patched, but i always check isos with Xbox Backup Creator, and use xdvdmulleter if patching is required, some people swear by abgx360 but i have not used it yet. all these programs are readily available on the internet, just do a google search. xbins is also a great source for xbox tools and latest firmwares

for the difference between elite and premium see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Comparison_of_features but the answer is pretty much what you said

have fun with your 360, and see you on xbox live, gamertag: Yee60