Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
gbatemp_recommends_revivla_logo2_build-1.png

Welcome to the 11th issue of the GBAtemp Recommends Revival Project! This project is a weekly magazine feature where we share our favorite games and applications with you. The things we recommend may be "old school" titles, a Homebrew, a ROM hack, sleeper hits, an application, etc, but one thing's for certain, we think they are fantastic and deserve your attention!

GBAtemp Recommends!

Adventure​
2s69hc4.png
902iw9.png

Early Atari 2600 console gamers enjoyed a variety of arcade influenced high-score based challenges. In 1979 this all changed with the release of the first action-adventure game called Adventure. Inspired by the text based game Colossal Cave Adventure, Adventure was designed and coded by Warren Robinett for Atari Inc.

Adventure was an extremely simple yet innovative game for its time. The goal of the game was to return a magical chalice to its resting place at a Golden colored castle while navigating mazes and killing dragons. The player was given various items to achieve this goal, such as a sword, a magical bridge, and a magnet. Each item can be equipped and dropped utilizing a simple button press, a gaming element which changed the concept of video game item usage. Adventure was released with 3 difficulty levels. The first features a simplified version of the game, the second features a full version of the game with identical item respawn points, and the third randomized the item locations.

As a company, Atari did not allow their programmers to take credit for their work, and Adventure featured the first widely known easter-egg, a simple credit screen. The screen was hidden below the Golden castle and unlocked by dragging a 1x1 background colored pixel through the correct wall. The easter-egg simple stated “Created by Warren Robinett”.

Adventure’s legacy is one of influence for many action-adventure games which followed. The game introduced the use of items (keys, a sword), secret rooms, castles, bats and dragons, and other concepts which have appeared in such series from the Legend of Zelda to Final Fantasy. While the simple graphics feel extremely dated the game mechanics will still feel fun for new gamers. Load-up your favorite emulator and give Adventure a try!

Genre: Action-Adventure
Type: Retail Release
Coded by: Warren Robinett
Release Date: Christmas, 1979
System: Atari 2600

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these magazine articles in the future. If you want to write for the GBAtemp Recommends, please PM a topic idea to Another World. Be sure to include a brief description and why you feel it is software appropriate for the Recommends Revival.

controller.png
Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Happy holidays everyone. I posted this one a bit early on Monday as I'll be rather busy for the Holidays. I hope you all have the time to give this game a play. It is a unique gem that may have been over looked by most younger gamers.

Enjoy!

-Another World

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I owned a 2600, at the time called a VCS, and I played this game again and again and again and again and again and again and again.

Glad to see it on the Atari DS compilation. Also glad to see I have the invisible mazes memorized. Etched into my memory still after 30 odd years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol