2DS bricked with old SD card inserted

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by timmyhgw, Jan 16, 2017.

1. timmyhgw
    OP

timmyhgw Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2017
    Australia
    Hi,
    first of all thanks for this forum. Though I was only a passive participant in the past, this community has helped me a lot :o)
    Now I encountered a problem, with a solution nowhere to be found (at least by me).

I successfully planted a CFW with A9LH and Luma on 11.2. on my 2DS. Then the screen broke so I got a replacement also on 11.2. With the new one I thought I be smart just by switching the SD card and running the routine again...oh wait.
    After doing soundhax to get into homebrew, i startet safehax. But it didnt boot into Decrypt9 like it shoud, but instead started the SafeA9LHinstaller, which I installed (not thinking) pressing select.
    Since then the screen is black and the blue light lights up, but nothing else happens..
    Can I throw it in the trash or is there anybody who has a solution, maybe removing old stuff from the SD-card that correlates to the old 2DS?

Thanks in advance...

timmyhgw

2. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    You likely had used your old 2dses otp and your console is now a paperweight unless you have a nand backup for that console.
    Always use a fresh sd card or at least one for your console when installing a9lh.

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    If you try turning it on without the SD card inserted, does it immediately shut off?

4. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Did you ever read the guide tho

Zidapi likes this.
  5. einhuman197

einhuman197 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 17, 2015
    Germany
    Inside your bootloader (´◉◞౪◟◉)
    No. I don't know if I'm evil but those noobs have deserved a brick.

HyperT likes this.
  6. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    User error bricks are deserved 100%

Majickhat55 and einhuman197 like this.
  7. Sketchy1

Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    If you just got this 2ds then immediately did this, then you would be bricked because safea9lhinstaller would have errored out if it didn't find an otp.bin.
    If it found one, then its from your old 2ds, so yeah, you bricked. Down the trash it goes! :/

Unless you did the only sane thing and created a nand dump from this console and still have it, a hardmod would fix.

8. timmyhgw
    OP

timmyhgw Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2017
    Australia
    Well, I never got the chance to do a nandbackup, since it didnt start decrypt9 but immediately switched to the A9LHinstaller...
    Now I know that its not repairable without a hardmod, thanks for the info...
    Even without the sd card the light dosnt turn off, just when i press it long enough.
    For those flawless hackers giving a warm welcome to a first time post, your big words will come around eventually...

Thanks and goodbye...

proflayton123 likes this.
  9. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    -Snip- Double post

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

"Never got a chance"? What do you mean, when you saw it loaded the wrong program you should have taken the SD card out and checked your files. That's common sense. Instead, you were like, "Oh, let me just run the installer to skip 12 steps".

10. cheuble

cheuble Marieism™

Feb 6, 2016
    France
    Somewhere
    You used your other 3DS's OTP. If you did not have a NAND backup, you're fucked.
    User error at its best!

11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    There might still be a chance to fix it using a hardmod by overwriting the FIRM partition using the known plaintext attack, but getting a hardmod professionally installed will cost you around as much as a new 2DS.

12. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Get a new motherboard, it will be slightly cheaper than a brand new 2DS.

wormdood likes this.
  13. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    thanks for your input . . . i am sure you solved the op's problem (please, at least attempt to help when you post like this . . . please)

Quantumcat and BADDINOROX99 like this.