Homebrew 240p on the atari2600 emulator?

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh you're right this core is not packaged into nightly builds, not sure why, the Stella core for Wii compiles and runs great, even better with the glorious 240p mode on CRT Tv sets.

Unfortunately, the original atari 2600 resolution (if there's one 100% accurate) is not well implemented in RA, I tried 480x228 with bilinear filtering enabled and this suited fine for most games.

If you want to test I uploaded my compiled binary here:

https://anonfiles.com/file/6e50432bdcda0a7734ccf80e044d8be7

240p mode in every retro console emulator is the most enjoyable experience!

Reactions: sindrik

soniccomcisbr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just tested and works good, Now I can see the tires moving on Enduro cars, because in 480 mode they are stopped. Yeah the cars are moving with the tires stopped.

To be perfect now we just need to find a pallete who fits the original colors, because somegames are so bright that i can not even see the score points. That Happens in games like Freeway and Stampede

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Oh you're right this core is not packaged into nightly builds, not sure why, the Stella core for Wii compiles and runs great, even better with the glorious 240p mode on CRT Tv sets.

Unfortunately, the original atari 2600 resolution (if there's one 100% accurate) is not well implemented in RA, I tried 480x228 with bilinear filtering enabled and this suited fine for most games.

If you want to test I uploaded my compiled binary here:

https://anonfiles.com/file/6e50432bdcda0a7734ccf80e044d8be7

240p mode in every retro console emulator is the most enjoyable experience!
Holy shit! Thanks for that! :)

Reactions: Margen67

soniccomcisbr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Mr. @zerofalcon did you have any other good surprises like this, I mean cores from older systems, in special odyssey2 and intelivision? Odyssey 2 emulation in special can be a great help because the only emulator for wii have sound issues and frameratedrops. Intelivision emulation is good enough but the menus are terrible and is not possible to configure the buttons map

CobraX83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the additional core! I had a question if anyone can help that is related to 240p. Say Neo Geo needs a 320×224 resolution...is there any way I can manually set it for that core to get that exact resolution instead of picking a low resolution that just appears to look good?

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Mr. @zerofalcon did you have any other good surprises like this, I mean cores from older systems, in special odyssey2 and intelivision? Odyssey 2 emulation in special can be a great help because the only emulator for wii have sound issues and frameratedrops. Intelivision emulation is good enough but the menus are terrible and is not possible to configure the buttons map

There's an O2EM emulator (Magnavox Odyssey 2 and VideoPac) for libretro, for Intellivision I dont know what core is available, I'll check if both can compile for Wii.

Edit: Bad news :s O2EM cant be compiled for Wii, this core is only working on little-endian architecture systems

Last edited by zerofalcon,
Reactions: sindrik

sindrik

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's an O2EM emulator (Magnavox Odyssey 2 and VideoPac) for libretro, for Intellivision I dont know what core is available, I'll check if both can compile for Wii.

Edit: Bad news :s O2EM cant be compiled for Wii, this core is only working on little-endian architecture systems

Wow. Are there any more surprise cores that i don't know about? I mean, i though that the only ones available were the ones in the stable releases.

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow. Are there any more surprise cores that i don't know about? I mean, i though that the only ones available were the ones in the stable releases.

There is a game & watch core (simulator), an atari 7800 (aka prosystem), vectrex core, fuse, bluemsx and fmsx (never worked for me) MAME 2003 core, right now I'm toying with it, I want to play some taito games like rastan saga and ninja kids.

soniccomcisbr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There is a game & watch core (simulator), an atari 7800 (aka prosystem), vectrex core, fuse, bluemsx and fmsx (never worked for me) MAME 2003 core, right now I'm toying with it, I want to play some taito games like rastan saga and ninja kids.

These taito games are running normal here. About o2em, sadly, the odyssey emulator that I mentioned with sound issues and framerate drops is a port of this same emulator
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/O2em

Last edited by soniccomcisbr,

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
And sadly, the emulator that I mention to you with sounds issues is just a port of 02em

These taito games are running normal here. About o2em, sadly, the odyssey emulator that I mentioned with sound issues and framerate drops is a port of this same emulator
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/O2em
With fba arcade? wow last time I tested ninja kids it worked really slow and rastan saga 2 only started with garbled graphics, I need to check again! About O2EM yeah, sadly this core is not compatible for the Wii, maybe it can be compiled but not loading any roms at all, same as tgbdual core (game boy - game boy color emu with linking multiplayer on screen).

soniccomcisbr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
With fba arcade? wow last time I tested ninja kids it worked really slow and rastan saga 2 only started with garbled graphics, I need to check again! About O2EM yeah, sadly this core is not compatible for the Wii, maybe it can be compiled but not loading any roms at all, same as tgbdual core (game boy - game boy color emu with linking multiplayer on screen).

Rastan 2 i dont remember, i tested the first one, but ninja kids its ok, i tried even the japanese version

Reactions: zerofalcon

soniccomcisbr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Tried again here, sorry the slowdowns in Ninja Kids continues.

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Tried again here, sorry the slowdowns in Ninja Kids continues.

Yeah it's working really slow but with mame there's no more slowdowns or lag, too bad it crashes a lot (DSI dumps) with some games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Incredible! I hope you can succeed, that sound pretty nice. Out of curiosity, that MAME 2003 covers midway games? (like MK)

Yes some midway games runs good while others (mk saga) very slow, same as nba jam. I tried with the Wiimpathy binary file btw

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released