MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
NeSchn said:
Now whos the asshole that made that word?

Nobody really made it. If you study Chemistry, you'll understand. They basically made a form of naming each protein - just like in English we use vowels & consonants to form words. But, their "vowels & consonants" are words. When you're naming small proteins, the system words beautifully. Then you hit proteins like this...And it just goes on forever, since it's made up of dozens of smaller proteins.

So basically, nobody actually made up the "word" (it's a name.) They're just following a set of rules, which eventually they reach the end, and there you have it.

QUOTE(johncenafan427 @ Jun 30 2010, 02:01 PM) who comes up with these names??

seriously........

who has that much time on their hands?

When you're getting paid to do it, you've got a very, very long time.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
that's epic long.
wacko.gif

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well you got your info sorta wrong.
That's the longest chemical name ever. Chemical names aren't technically one word.

Though it is fun to look at after taking chemistry and actually understanding some of what it is.
I'd kill myself if I saw that in a chemistry question.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Costello said:
Ultralex said:
If I ever have a son,this will be his name.
mellow.gif
what if you have a daughter? call her "titine" ?
biggrin.gif
Tina, duh
wink.gif

Also, components in a structural formula are separate words, not one long word. Carbon dioxide, dihydrogen monoxide, hydrogen hydroxide... Separate.

D

Deleted User

OP
Veho said:
Costello said:
Ultralex said:
If I ever have a son,this will be his name.
mellow.gif
what if you have a daughter? call her "titine" ?
biggrin.gif

Tina, duh
wink.gif

Also, components in a structural formula are separate words, not one long word. Carbon dioxide, dihydrogen monoxide, hydrogen hydroxide... Separate.
OK. So it isn't a word, but a load of words together. All the better then to say that you have Carbon dioxide-phobia, dihydrogen monoxide-phobia, hydrogen hydroxide-phobia. So you end up having 244 phobias of things that we all have in our bodies.

QUOTE(zeromac @ Jul 1 2010, 06:41 AM)
The longest word in the english language is actually the chemical name for Titin
No Shit sherlock.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
JetKun said:
water-phobia? How can you live?
It's not easy.

QUOTE(JetKun @ Jul 1 2010, 02:47 PM) OK. So it isn't a word, but a load of words together. All the better then to say that you have Carbon dioxide-phobia, dihydrogen monoxide-phobia, hydrogen hydroxide-phobia. So you end up having 244 phobias of things that we all have in our bodies.
Like titin
wink.gif

You're going to an extreme here. A "load of words together" make a "phrase", and the meaning of the "phrase" isn't the same as the individual words. And the fear of a concept isn't a fear of all the individual terms used to describe that concept.

The chemicals I named were used for illustration. Carbon dioxide is one term consisting of two words. Since we're talking phobias here, a phobia of asphyxiating on carbon dioxide is not a fear of carbon, nor a fear of oxygen, it's a specific fear of a specific combination of the two. And so even though the description for titin is several (hundred) words long, the fear of titin is not a fear of those individual terms that describe its structure, it's a fear of the whole thing.

Acetic Orcein

Trophies
XP
Country
Can't say I'm particularly impressed because it's just repeated the sequence of amino acid side chains that make it up?

I think. It is a rather random phobia though...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dSN52HstbI