10 Years of Atari Games emails released!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Fudge, Jul 17, 2012.

Jul 17, 2012
  1. Fudge
    OP

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Really interesting, this is stuff I love to see get released. I'm about to plow through them, see if there is anything about unreleased games/hardware or prototypes of hardware/games. Here's the source http://kotaku.com/59...dium=socialflow

EDIT: This guy, I am speechless

Warning: Spoilers inside!

1 person likes this.
  2. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Nintendo - toppling the giants since the 1980s.

Hey Atari, how many copies of ET are rotting in that landfield? You gonna blame Nintendo, Sega, and everyone else for that?

2 people like this.
  3. gokujr1000

Member gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Reading this kinda makes me feel like he could be right but he could also be taking this really over the top. Atari did have lots of shitty games.

4. BoxmanWTF

Member BoxmanWTF ♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫

Canada
    Well buisness is dirty, companies are always trying to destroy the competition.
    But at least now we have a possible reason for the Sega vs Nintendo thing.

5. Lube_Skyballer

Member Lube_Skyballer GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Atari (and Sega!) went down not only because of stiff competition, but als a series of poor choices.
    So they also have theirselves to blame

6. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    Wow. Quite a read. I didn't imagine Nintendo to be such a shark, let alone Sega.

But let's put it this way: if Nintendo did not come out on top, will the world ever have Mario, Link, or Samus? There wouldn't be the SNES, and there wouldn't be a Final Fantasy. There wouldn't be Ogre Battle. There wouldn't be Shadowrun. There probably wouldn't be Out of This World/Another World as well (not quite sure though; I vaguely remember this being on another platform first). And I could go on.

7. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Just keep in mind that Nintendo back then was run by Hiroshi Yamauchi, not the likes of Satoru Iwata who has even worked on games himself in the past.

Iwata is very much the face of Nintendo of Japan right now, holding Nintendo Direct presentations, giving E3 conferences, holding Iwata Asks developer interviews, even having his caricature show up in a few games like Wario Ware Smooth Moves as a shop clerk. Having worked for HAL Labs at the start of his Nintendo career, he's worked on the likes of Balloon Fight, Earthbound and Kirby, so he has background on the company he now runs.

Yamauchi is a startling contrast to this. He was strictly a business man, looking to become successful. Though Nintendo went the way of video games, Yamauchi never personally cared to play the games they would develop and had no expertise regarding them. He had no sort of public relation affairs like Iwata does, he was a business man through and through.

Nintendo then and Nintendo now were run by very different people. Where Nintendo is now a giant in the industry, it's run by a completely different person who probably wouldn't be anywhere near as ruthless as Yamauchi. If Nintendo were run by the likes of Iwata back then, I don't know if they could have had the gumption to come out on top.

6 people like this.
  8. Rockym

Member Rockym GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's gotta be a joke. Nintendo actually wanted Atari to market the NES in NA originally. Atari was still reluctant after the crash and refused them so Nintendo marketed it themselves.

9. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    dont quote an entire article?

10. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It's not the article, it's (un)released statements, which is fine.

11. Vampire Lied

Member Vampire Lied Resident sociopath

United States
    Funny that Atari has ports/games for nintendo systems if this is true.