Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Everyone should read this

From HackMii

Your Wii is not a PSP (or an Xbox, or …)
June 12th, 2008 by bushing

I didn’t think that I had to explicitly say this, but I see the same things come up over and over again, so I’m hoping I can clear this up for people.

The Wii is not a PSP, or an Xbox, or any other console system. Stop making guesses about the Wii based on your experience with other consoles. It Doesn’t Work Like That.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
great article, these are facts, not speculation or fanboy reactions like we can read in most forums out there

let's hope everyone would read it now

bushing said:
This came up most recently in discussion about Waninkoko’s “Downgrader” video. In his defense, he never said this was useful to do, but people jumped on it because of the title. This is not a solution to any currently existing problem. If a problem develops, this would be the wrong solution; a better solution would be patching the System Menu TMD to use a different version of IOS.

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
This should be stickied. And PM'd to everyones inbox. And talked about on the news.

Will people listen though? Probably not. I'd not be surprised to find a new isoloader/downgrade/custom firmware thread this afternoon.

rolleyes.gif

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
why would anyone want to downgrade their wiis anyway? It would be no use, not now unless nintendo actually do something.:|
but overall that article was useless, for me atleast. well maybe someone enjoys it.

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
linkinworm said:
" If the Nintendo Channel uploads your playtime log, and that includes the Homebrew Channel, then … then … nothing. They don’t care. Really." lol.
Nintendo might be planning something so don't be so sure about it.They might care,and might take action.So beware.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
TaMs said:
why would anyone want to downgrade their wiis anyway? It would be no use, not now unless nintendo actually do something.:|
but overall that article was useless, for me atleast. well maybe someone enjoys it.
You downgrade psp's because you can then install custom firmware thru certain exploits. So noobs think you can do the same automagically on the wii, hence the article.

mcj

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The article is far from useless. As mentioned in another reply, hopefully it'll put a rest to all the fanboy "OMG CUSTOM WII FIRMWARE TO DO EVERYTHING". I also agree about a sticky being made since the endless upgrade/downgrade/custom firmware threads that are being created and questions asking the same thing are getting annoying.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
TaMs said:
well it would unlock the AR and freeloader 1.06b disks again, thats a reason i want it tbh.

zant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um, it is VERY much like the PSP scene in some ways. So, you can't downgrade, I'm positve you can patch the IOS or System Menu to launch the old action replay disks and freeloader. I bet you can even patch it to circumvent the security checks.
As for recovery, yes every NAND is encrypted per wii, but if every person DUMPS his/her OWN nand, than it should match. I worked in the PSP scene, and to be able to "unbrick", we had to get the eeprom in the battery to read from the memory stick. This COULD be possible cause of the Wii's front SD slot. There COULD be some sort of patch that could be released to make it possible to redirect to the SD card before the system menu, there for possibly unbricking it. The IPL has to be installed to the SD, and could possbly not boot the wii if there is no sd card instered with thay IPL. But, thats just a thought.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
zant said:
I worked in the PSP scene, and to be able to "unbrick", we had to get the eeprom in the battery to read from the memory stick. This COULD be possible cause of the Wii's front SD slot

1. It doesn't sound like you know how the "Pandora's Batteries" work.
2. Just no.

darkhawk

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iv had a PSP since the 1.5 days although its collecting dust it was a great device for homebrew and still is. Recovery mode in the custom fw saved its life a few times(before pandora), some sort of recovery mode for the Wii would also be nice.

yaggermr1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Richy Freeway said:
This should be stickied. And PM'd to everyones inbox. And talked about on the news.

Will people listen though? Probably not. I'd not be surprised to find a new isoloader/downgrade/custom firmware thread this afternoon.

rolleyes.gif
Why do so many people care what people do with there wii. First great article. Second this is informational and the scene is based on trial and error. Hey if a few hundred wii's get bricked along the way so what. People can make a risk vs reward decision. The firmware tool may be worthless right now but might help the scene with future developments. However It's no ones place to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do with there wii. (exception do not I repeat do not put your wii in an exhaust pipe .)

zant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
arctic_flame said:
zant said:
I worked in the PSP scene, and to be able to "unbrick", we had to get the eeprom in the battery to read from the memory stick. This COULD be possible cause of the Wii's front SD slot

2. Just no.

Ok, I've been around the PSP scene since 1.5 like a few others, AND THATS HOW THE PANDORA BATTERY WORKS!

How else do you unbrick? It modifies the EEPROM of the battery to get into service mode, which then reads the IPL from the "magic memory stick". Same thing could be applied here.
lecture.gif

Don't try to act like you know whats going on.

And a side note: Im beginning to wonder if the wii's nand is like the PSP?

boot0=flash0 ?
boot1=flash1 ?
boot2=flash2 ?

just a thought. But ill put this in. In psp, flash0 were the critical firmware files (might be like the wii system menu or IOS)
flash1 had all the settings (maybe in the wii its your region/date/time).......... interesting.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
zant said:
arctic_flame said:
zant said:

2. Just no.

How else do you unbrick? It modifies the EEPROM of the battery to get into service mode, which then reads the IPL from the "magic memory stick". Same thing could be applied here.
lecture.gif

Then word your posts better, it takes a few more lines, but then people won't get the wrong end of the stick. The EEProm in the battey does not read from the memory stick - that's what I read in your earlier post.
All the "modification" is simply setting all bits in the serial number part of the EEProm in the battery to 1. There is no "service mode" in the battery. Also, the PSP only loads signed IPLs, even from the memory stick, so yet more trickery is involved.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello