WB3000

OP
Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Over at Wiibrew.org, they are reporting another Wii update, and one user has stated that the trucha exploit has been patched. This needs confirmation.

QUOTE said:
A new Wii System Update has been reported, the trucha exploit reportedly is fixed by this(needs confirmation).

I don't have a modded Wii, but I can confirm that an update is indeed out there, since I just downloaded it (and yes, I did the Shop Channel one before, so it is not that).

EDIT: This will not affect trucha signed games now, but may in the future once Nintendo updates another file. Bushing recommends not to do this update.

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
if that's true... well atleast we had our fun. gg.
btw i still doesn't know how they can fix it with firmware update. You modify the iso via trucha and then sign it with it. So did they just change the code which signs it or what? :| Anyway not a big loss for me. Once made random mario strikers disc with fucked up characters.

DarkCamui

Trophies
XP
Country
Never used Trucha on any of my games since I got a NTSC-USA Wii but it must suck for you PAL users though lol
tongue.gif

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Anyone got a source for this? I don't mean the wiibrew homepage either. Where did they get this info that needs verifying? The forums on that site are pretty bare so no help there.

WB3000

OP
Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
shtonkalot said:
Anyone got a source for this? I don't mean the wiibrew homepage either. Where did they get this info that needs verifying? The forums on that site are pretty bare so no help there.

I believe it was on #wiidev, although I'm not sure.

QUOTECan anyone confirm if this kills the Twilight Exploit?

I don't think it does, there has been no talk of that. I'll check later.

EDIT: It still works here
smile.gif

kallekall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TaMs said:
btw i still doesn't know how they can fix it with firmware update. You modify the iso via trucha and then sign it with it. So did they just change the code which signs it or what? :| Anyway not a big loss for me. Once made random mario strikers disc with fucked up characters.

They don't sign it with the Nintendo key but is using some kind of bug in the verification...

I only have SSBB fixed with Trucha... Will keep away from the update as long as possible.

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
TaMs said:

Trucha Signer doesn't sign the disc correctly (you would need the private RSA key only Nintendo and maybe some developers possess)
it uses a bug in the verfication process inside the console's firmware. And it has been stated several times (by Team Tweezers and the
Trucha Signer developer) that this bug is rather easy to patch for Nintendo.
The interesting question is - if it does fix Trucha Signer, depends the freeloader on the same bug?

QUOTE(The Teej @ Mar 22 2008, 11:46 PM) Can anyone confirm if this kills the Twilight Exploit?

To fix the TP exploit the console would need to verify the savegame before the game is loaded or patch the game on-the-fly while it is running.
That is way to much effort to prevent an exploit that only works for homebrew...

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, if this is after the Wii Shop update then I'm very glad I updated between the thin window of time - between the time the Wiiware update and this Trucha destroying one. So I get Wiiware AND Trucha.
smile.gif

But we still need confirmation. The Wiiware one released two days ago, will not destroy Trucha (just played DVD5 fix Brawl) but maybe there is a new one being described here. But perhaps not.
gbasp.gif

CYatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
US Launch Wii, completely up to date (just checked again), Manhunt 2 Trucha'd works fine. Can't check Twilight exploit (no SD card yet), but I'm sure based on what others are saying too, it works fine. Update is safe.

WB3000

OP
Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Here's what bushing had to say on irc...

QUOTE said:
it's only a preparation for a fix
well, I don't like having it on my system
tongue.gif

it's a declaration of war, that's what it is
tongue.gif

it's a partial fix (and one which isn't particularly easy to test, yet)
so is it preperation for a fix, or just fixing some of the areas that the bug affects?
preparationg
blah
bushing: would you recommend users to update this time if they wanted to still use trucha?
no

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If true then cue dual mod chip systems (drive+firmware) in 5,4,3........

Failing that I predict the rise of stupid auction prices as happened in the early PSP days. Good thing as I have a early version wii (presently not working but it is a simple fix).

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The news on Wiibrew.org has been updated...

QUOTE said:
A new Wii System Update has been reported, it is thought to be preparation for a trucha signer fix (Think homebrew channel). Caution is advised though, at this time it is unsure what effects it has (though it is not thought to affect the TP hack, it still may do so until we can confirm otherwise). Note this is NOT the one from a couple of days ago that was related to Wiiware.

WB3000

OP
Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
g4jek8j54 said:
The news on Wiibrew.org has been updated...

QUOTE said:
A new Wii System Update has been reported, it is thought to be preparation for a trucha signer fix (Think homebrew channel). Caution is advised though, at this time it is unsure what effects it has (though it is not thought to affect the TP hack, it still may do so until we can confirm otherwise). Note this is NOT the one from a couple of days ago that was related to Wiiware.

and it's changed again
wacko.gif

A new Wii System Update has been released, containing a new version of the firmware (IOS37) with a fix for the signing bug. The firmware will not become active until a new System Menu release is made to use it; be forewarned.

(Note this is NOT the update from a couple of days ago that was related to Wiiware. That one is confirmed as `safe`.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That boy yo