Gaming ***WII Update 3.0U/E/J - FAQ***

FoxMcClaud

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just to make it easier for anyone who wants Infos about the Update and Modchips I try to summarize everything we know here:

QUOTE said:
Update Features
Channels:
-Digital Clock added to the Wii Menu right under the channel bar
-Forecast Channel now displays the current condition (cloudy, raining, etc.) directly in the Wii Menu in the Forecast Channel box
-News Channel can now show 2 scrolling headlines at a time in the Wii Menu, 3 when you click on the button
-Message Board now has the “Today’s Accomplishments” message as a white message which allows it to stand out from other messages
-Address Book entries can now be shifted around using A+B but only to empty spaces. Not too convenient.
-Calendar in Message Board no longer shows “Today’s Accomplishment” only days as having messages
-Scrolling messages in the Message Board now uses a different sound

Wii Shop Channel Overhauled (Visual aesthetic is the same, changes made to organization and browsing methods mostly)
-New Welcome screen detailing 4 Recommended Titles and the points they cost (gone is the title screen bar that had linkable games). The title bar can be clicked on to bring up a list of 20 recommended games.
-Titles You’ve Downloaded was moved to the main shop menu
-New ways to browse
-Popular Titles (2 pages of 10 and includes launch games so not only based on recent info)
-Newest Additions remains the same
-Search for a title which can use partial names
-Search by Category
-System shows the different systems and how many titles have been released under each
-Publisher showing different publishers and amount of titles released
-Genre (different genres listed and amount of titles under each)

Settings
-Warning added pre-system update detailing that technically modified consoles may cease to function upon being updated. Also the only way to not accept an update is to power down the console by holding the button for 4 seconds (the user can’t back out of hitting I Accept w/o powering down)

Edit: USB Keyboard Support for ShoppingChannel and MEssageBoard (even WiiMails) but not for Internetchannel!

BTW: The Fan does not work in Standby!!

1. Confirmed working
Chips working:
WIIkey Pal/NTSC
WIInja V1,V2, Deluxe
WiiFree 2.45
Cyclowiz 3.0 3.5
YAOSM 1.7
CHiip 0.91 Edit:(5 working 1 not working)
OpenWii 2.2 - 4 working and 1 guy claims 2.2b doesnt work, more infos at openwii.org
Someone confirmed 2.2b but with removing the chip before the update
Edit: WiiD NTSC and PAL working!
Edit: WIIMod works!!

To Sum up: Currently no Problems with the Update, there are some story of "bricks" but most are not proven, so it's pretty save to update. If you are doubfull, wait a week, to see how it turns out!

- I updated my Wii (NTSC-U, DMS) with OpenWii 2.2B, but removed the chip from it's socket prior to updating. Everything works perfectly (including games).

- No problems with a PAL wii with Wiinja deluxe
wink.gif

- Everything works like before, so Wiinja v1 confirmed working. (suprise suprise..)-
- NTSC US Wii, Wiinja V2. updated to V3. and all runs fine no problems. backups and weather, shop etc
- I've tried a few games from RE4, CoD3, Prince of Persia, Mario Striker Charged, all load fines with WiiKey on 3.0U. I've yet to try online play.
- Updated my Wii (purchased on release day) to 3.0U with WiiKey installed with wires. No problems, No warning screen.
To clarify, I went to the settings to update it.
-Updated to 3.0E and no warning screen, i've got a wiifree/yaosm.
-well updated my europe wii, now 3.0E. Didnt have this message, with "be carefull". Everything is fine here
biggrin.gif
CycloWiz User
- Just updated my PAL wii to 3.0E, no further updates were available, but when going to settings -> system update
I recieved the warning message about modchips I tried a couple of discs too, Wiikey = not working, ssx blur = working
- US Wii with Wiinja Deluxe Tested one Gamecube backup, one Wii backup; both work
-Hmm, updated cause I wanted to connect to the Shop channel. Wii was previously 2.2E with both US and JP Super Paper Mario "updates" run. Chip is a homemade Chiip 0.9.1. Internet disconnected once during the update, but I just turned off and on and it resumed fine, I think.

Well, it seems to work fine. Wii recognized PAL-backup of "The Godfather" (didn't try to play though) and currently runs backup US-Pokémon Battle Revolution patched to PAL and Update remove'd. Tried the Shop channel too, worked fine. Only thing that was strange was when I was in the main menu of the Wii, PBR inserted, and went away for about a minute to get new batteries for my Wiimote. When I returned, the Wii displayed a message stating that the "Wii System files are corrupted." No idea what that means, I just turned off and on again and it works fine (as I said, it's currently running PBR).

-i just updated my wii at first it gave me an error(didn't recognize Mario strikers)
but after i restarted my wii everything worked
smile.gif

also i have a cyclowiz v3.5
BTW i have a problem with Mario strikers (when i add FCs i cant connect to them (i can play ranked matches ) )

-Im running a Wiikey, updated, and everythings fine.
-PAL DMS with Chiip 0.9.1
After the 3.0 update wii backups did not work.
Updated the Chiip to use Openwii 2.2 and all is good again.

Online:

- I just played online with a version 3 pal wii, no booting out of the game. Looks like its safe.

- i have a problem with Mario strikers (when i add FCs i cant connect to them (i can play ranked matches ) )

- Played a game of Strikers online with the 3.0U for whoever was asking. Then it dropped, I bet that it's just Nintendo's servers getting slammed from the update traffic.

2. Possible Brick

a) Not Confirmed:
2 Guy's on the Maxconsoleforum (they are from Thailand and have US Consoles) say they can't be in the MainMenu for more than 2 seconds or it crashes!
-> US COnsole with WIIKEY

b) This is not confirmed yet, very unlikely cause he/she doesnt post anymore, just once, we think it is false:
PAL DMS Wii with Openwii 2.2b, and now NO discs are working - not even retail ones.

c) There seem to be some Japan and US Consoles which stopped working:
Wii Japan 2.2J + Wiikey update to 3.0J
http://www.dailymotion.com/ooh44/video/4553182

3. Problems

Edit: THE DISC CLAIMED TO BE NEW WIIKEY SETUP WORKING WITH 3.0 Update CONTAINS A VIRUS!!!

QUOTEOfficial Statement:
nfo from Wiikey.cn concerning firmware 3 and bricking

[07.08.08] Wii firmware 3.0 issues
Nintendo has released firmware 3.0 via online updates. It will NOT brick or disable Wiikey; however, base and config discs will not load 'natively', neither will any other GC disc with El Torito standard header format. WiiNewz have reported that there are already tools available for building bootable config and setup discs, as well as other discs with applications and emulators. We are currently researching why the El Torito format no longer works. Once this is completed new versions of the config and base system disc will be made available.

- removed by shaunj66 -

Following Disc Dont work anymore:
original Action Replay for WII v1.14b
action replay version 1.05 NTSC does not work on a NTSC wii
action replay version 1.14b PAL does not boot on a PAL Wii directly or with gcos
freeloader version 1.06b PAL also does not work on a PAL wii
WIIKEY Setup Disc -> New version released!!! Working now!
Cyclowiz Update Disc
SD Media Launcher (not confirmed)
WiiFree update disc

[/b]
NEW: There is a homebrew disc maker for 3.0 See here:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/nintendo-wii-n...g-bootdisk.html

From Kotaku Comments:
-there are reports that the update "detects" the WiiKey setup disc, and prevents it from running. a modder from Australia has confirmed this on 4 different consoles. everything else works, and even lets you load the WiiKey disc, but it displays an error as soon as you launch it from the menu.
nintendo can't detect hardware that's been added to the wii, so they flagged the setup disc via firmware update. the WiiKey disc name would be the same all over the world.

- It's seems that the WIIKEY and the WIIFREE Setup Disc are also not working, but someone found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS_Ld-VDqII

4. Future Updates:

After you updated to 3.0 if you click on update there is a Message that tells you that the update may brick ur modded WII.
0708070814km1.jpg

But no new Update (3.3 some claim) is confirmed yet!!!

PLEASE JUST WRITE IN THIS THREAD TO CONFIRM OTHER CONFIGS:

PAL/NTSC - (if known CHipset) - Modchip - Older Firmware Number - Working/not working, Backups, Wiiconnect, Setup discs!

Edit: Just now saw the Virus warning, I live in a different TimeZone, so i was sleeping
wink.gif

Updated the Faq with any new Infos I could find!
Cheers

FoxMcClaud

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have no conformation on the WIIMod. Maybe you could ask in the other thread you are the first one to ask.

Generally i think that the update does not effect the mods, at least not yet. So the only way to find out if it works is to update and tell us
wink.gif

Da Foxx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm confused about the WiiKey setup disc. Is this an official setup disc from the Wiikey team or is this a GCOS + WiiKey?

FoxMcClaud

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The official one stopped working, now they realised a new version, see edited 1 post!

EDIT: The new version is from a warez group not official. but seems to work!

If you got any disc not working, just pop in the GcOS first and after that the SetupDisc/Update disc - whatever! This still works!!

LostToApathy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi everyone,
Just signed up, this is my first post here
wink.gif

PAL Wii 3.0E (Updated from 2.2E) with GC2-DMS chipset and WiiD drive chip (firmware 02) - Working.

I ran the update from settings, then tried to update again to see if a newer update was available, i got the warning screen about modified consoles but no update was found, then I tried some Wii and GC games and all the Wii online channels (Shop, News, Internet, Forecast) and everything works fine. Also tested online play with Mario Strikers.
I haven't tested the Wiid setup disk since to do so i should completely reset my WiiD and reupdate it and i'd prefere not doing it for the moment.
It's not really a "setup disk" either, just an update disk wich has no interface or settings whatsoever, it just has to be inserted in the Wii and it automatically updates the WiiD firmware to add region free patching on the fly and audiofix for GC games and there's no sign of success aside import/GC-CDDAaudio Games working.

Hope this helps someway!

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
the files wiikey 1.2 new setup disc posted in this topic contain a virus, be cautious... the setup discs in those files are exactly the same as the ones on the wiikeys website, the only difference is there is a virus contained in the exe SO DO NOT OPEN IT. TOPIC STARTER PLEASE REMOVE THE LINKS, THE ORIGINAL POSTER necronzero IN THE OTTHER TOPIC HAS BEEN REPORTED TO A MOD AND HE WILL BE NOT SPREADING LIES OR VIRUSES ANYMORE!

masdeeper

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
NTSC - (if known CHipset) - Wiikey - 2.2U - Works- Backups Works- Wiiconnect works but did not tested with mario soccer since I have the PAL version
wink.gif

AzaMcWazza

Trophies
XP
Country
It seems that PAL Wii's with Wiikey that are updating to 3.0E are proving to be fine. This could be due to some PAL countries, New Zealand specifically where modding your Wii is legal and making backups for your own personal use is OK too. If all they can detect is the region of your Wii, they may have to play it safe.

Not sure, but I think it's safe for PAL WiiKey users to upgrade.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It seems that PAL Wii's with Wiikey that are updating to 3.0E are proving to be fine. This could be due to some PAL countries, New Zealand specifically where modding your Wii is legal and making backups for your own personal use is OK too. If all they can detect is the region of your Wii, they may have to play it safe.

Not sure, but I think it's safe for PAL WiiKey users to upgrade.
it's exactly the same for all regions and perfectly fine >< nobody in the world has bricked cuz of this update

knivez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
confirmed working on wiid ntsc with 3.0u update.

backups- all regions- tested strikers pal, and various ntsc
did not test online but that should not be a problem.

gcos with various backups- worked fine

everything seems the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c